denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

https://www.experime...es-seltzer-town

There are no laws when drinking - hard seltzer? Yes, it's the latest evolution of the malternative/alcopop/notbeerbeer. So, let's say you want to make your own malternative at home - how do you do it? Drew walks you through the reasons for these things and how to make your own hard lemonade, hard seltzer and even better the quick way to make an alternative draft beverage as a homebrewer!

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:43 AM

Listened to this on the way into work today.  Interested to hear the history of these products.  I am a bit taken back by some of the craft breweries I see putting these out and I am wondering how they will be priced.  So, is this a fad for craft brewers of the wave of the future?

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:09 AM

Well that was a good quick podcast.  Not sure what Drew's WPM is but it's gotta be above average hahaha.

Gotta admit I like the Truly brand.  I'll slam one after cutting the lawn and they're pretty good on the beach :)  I've often considered making a hard seltzer but I don't think I want 5 gallons of vodka & soda for example and the process to incorporate grain and get it uber clear seems like a PITA.  I'd much rather work out a good Tafelbier recipe.

As I've heard mention from the old hippie, I want my beer to taste like beer.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:20 AM

Well that was a good quick podcast.  Not sure what Drew's WPM is but it's gotta be above average hahaha.

Gotta admit I like the Truly brand.  I'll slam one after cutting the lawn and they're pretty good on the beach :)  I've often considered making a hard seltzer but I don't think I want 5 gallons of vodka & soda for example and the process to incorporate grain and get it uber clear seems like a PITA.  I'd much rather work out a good Tafelbier recipe.

As I've heard mention from the old hippie, I want my beer to taste like beer.

I never knew Truly was a SA product.  My wife has had at one point or another Truly, White Claw, Spiked and Polar and I found WC and Polar to be the ones I liked best.  Not something I could see having a full keg of though.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:53 AM

I never knew Truly was a SA product.  My wife has had at one point or another Truly, White Claw, Spiked and Polar and I found WC and Polar to be the ones I liked best.  Not something I could see having a full keg of though.

Definitely not a full keg.  It would get boring quick me thinks

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:59 PM

Listened to this on the way into work today.  Interested to hear the history of these products.  I am a bit taken back by some of the craft breweries I see putting these out and I am wondering how they will be priced.  So, is this a fad for craft brewers of the wave of the future?

Fad

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:04 PM

Fad

My thought (and hope) as well.

#8 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:31 PM

During the past six months, the nation has spent $389 million on hard seltzer: an increase of 210% from the previous year, according to Nielsen scans in supermarkets and other stores. Through mid-May, industry leader White Claw Hard Seltzer’s mixed 12-packs have accounted for nearly $71 million of those sales — a 320% leap from a year ago. That surge has made White Claw a top-25 brand among beers (how flavored malt beverages are typically tracked), zooming past stalwarts such as Rolling Rock, Guinness, Pacifico, Corona Light and every single craft beer — let me say it again: every single craft beer — with the exception of Blue Moon Belgian White.

Truly is owned by Boston Beer Co., which was founded during the 1980s on the back of the iconic Samuel Adam Boston Lager. Yet in a recent four-week period, Craft Brew News reported, Truly outsold Boston Beer’s entire beer portfolio.

https://www.chicagot...q6kq-story.html

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

https://www.chicagot...q6kq-story.html

Wow. Suck it, beer. :lol:

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

most people don't actually like beer which explains why bud light is so popular.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:34 AM

seltzer.png

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

most people don't actually like beer which explains why bud light is so popular.

To some extent NEIPAs as well.  Many do not taste like beer ... but I still enjoy them!

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

To some extent NEIPAs as well.  Many do not taste like beer ... but I still enjoy them!

yeah, some of the more fruity ones for sure.  also gose with fruit starts to taste like a tropical mixed drink you'd get on vacation :P

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:05 PM

OH man .. Hold on! Imperial Seltzers

https://www.masslive...law-report.html

The drink comes in at 14 percent alcohol by volume, compared to the typical 4.5 to 5.5 percent most other hard seltzers contain.

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:03 PM

Fad

Idk I think they are here to stay in a big way. They are bringing in all sorts of new customers. Folks who never would have tried a craft product. They just drank vodka soda or whatever. Craft brewers need to stay on their game or else fall behind. It’s all about social media and hype these days and less about beer.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:42 AM

Idk I think they are here to stay in a big way. They are bringing in all sorts of new customers. Folks who never would have tried a craft product. They just drank vodka soda or whatever. Craft brewers need to stay on their game or else fall behind. It’s all about social media and hype these days and less about beer.

That last sentence makes me sad. I know it is true but still...

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

2 words...black IPA.  They were once ubiquitous.  Now they're really hard to find.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

2 words...black IPA. They were once ubiquitous. Now they're really hard to find.

Is NEIPA still a fad? As for the black ipa. I coworker was in Quebec and ordered one but it turned out to be a sour black ipa and not good. Sour IPAs can go away imo.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

2 words...black IPA. They were once ubiquitous. Now they're really hard to find.

Popularity has definitely faded but I still see them sometimes.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:08 PM

Popularity has definitely faded but I still see them sometimes.

and that's exactly my point.  They used tol be everywhere.  Now it's "I still see them sometimes".  I think hard seltzer will do the same.  And maybe even NEIPA.  It has declined in popularity a lot in the last couple years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users