90 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:08 PM

Perhaps not an impact on taste, but as you mentioned depending on your system it may help with lautering.

The other benefit I've found is that it greatly reduces the amount of dust generated.

This. You will get more intact husks and you will get less dust. Better final product? See for yourself.

Edited by neddles, 17 July 2019 - 02:08 PM.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

Okay, that sucked.  I conditioned my grain and waited some additional time to mill knowing that the gap was tighter.  I got some grain to go through and then it stopped.  Then it went again and stopped.  I couldn't get more grain to go through.  There was swearing and sweating and a lot of both.  I had to adjust it back a smidge to .40.  I got through it and then milled it again just to see how it would go.  It was okay and the crush looked quite a bit better than it did when I had it wider.  The moment of truth will be when I take a gravity sample after the boil later but it looks like MY gap setting is .40. 

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

It is possible you have the record for most pounds (mileage) on a Barley Crusher. Upgrade that mofo!!

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:08 PM

It is possible you have the record for most pounds (mileage) on a Barley Crusher. Upgrade that mofo!!

Yeah, maybe I should upgrade to the 3-roller Crankenstein.  I'm going to see how it goes on the next couple of batches.  

#25 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:19 PM

Okay, that sucked.  I conditioned my grain and waited some additional time to mill knowing that the gap was tighter.  I got some grain to go through and then it stopped.  Then it went again and stopped.  I couldn't get more grain to go through.  There was swearing and sweating and a lot of both.  I had to adjust it back a smidge to .40.  I got through it and then milled it again just to see how it would go.  It was okay and the crush looked quite a bit better than it did when I had it wider.  The moment of truth will be when I take a gravity sample after the boil later but it looks like MY gap setting is .40. 

That perfectly describes my last crush with my barley crusher. took me nearly an hour to crush 14 lbs of grain. gap was set at 0.39, no malt conditioning. got pi$$ poor extraction (62% eff. IIRC). my temper got the best of me, and the BC got a unceremonious treatment in the garage with a engineer's hammer.  

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

That perfectly describes my last crush with my barley crusher. took me nearly an hour to crush 14 lbs of grain. gap was set at 0.39, no malt conditioning. got pi$$ poor extraction (62% eff. IIRC). my temper got the best of me, and the BC got a unceremonious treatment in the garage with a engineer's hammer.

:lol:

We both need to figure out what the next mill will be. I absolutely hate it when my equipment doesn't cooperate.

#27 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:12 PM

:lol:

We both need to figure out what the next mill will be. I absolutely hate it when my equipment doesn't cooperate.

when my gear doesn't work, It just makes for a rough brew day. I went with this one, and believe it or not, on Steve Urquell's recommendation. good price point, and if your good with tools, you can make it work; built a hopper out of a 5 gallon plastic water jug and made a table for it to sit on.  It took some tinkering, but got it running like a song; never slipped like the BC did. Like I said, I remember reading BC's have a 1 ton run life. my crapped out on time.  If I were to do it again, and price wasn't a problem, and wanted a turnkey solution,  I'd get a 3 roller monster mill

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 21 July 2019 - 05:16 PM.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:29 PM

when my gear doesn't work, It just makes for a rough brew day. I went with this one, and believe it or not, on Steve Urquell's recommendation. good price point, and if your good with tools, you can make it work; built a hopper out of a 5 gallon plastic water jug and made a table for it to sit on. It took some tinkering, but got it running like a song; never slipped like the BC did. Like I said, I remember reading BC's have a 1 ton run life. my crapped out on time. If I were to do it again, and price wasn't a problem, and wanted a turnkey solution, I'd get a 3 roller monster mill.

I have the same mill and same 5g water cooler jug hopper for it.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:48 AM

Hey Ken, saw this on another board with good reviews https://www.ebay.com...8-/122725110359

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:58 AM

Hey Ken, saw this on another board with good reviews https://www.ebay.com...8-/122725110359

Thanks Drez.

I wonder if the issue with the BC is that one roller is passive.  I remember a local brewer here (who I have not spoken with in awhile) getting the 3-roller and mentioning how great it was and how it would mill everything without ever getting stuck, etc.  So maybe that one had ONE passive roller and two that were driven which would make it better.  Clearly the 'knurls' are important too.  So the lifespan of the BC has been bounced around as 1-ton, right?  That would be about 200 batches for me which could be 5-6 years at my pace.  It's probably sun-setting.  

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

Thanks Drez.

I wonder if the issue with the BC is that one roller is passive.  I remember a local brewer here (who I have not spoken with in awhile) getting the 3-roller and mentioning how great it was and how it would mill everything without ever getting stuck, etc.  So maybe that one had ONE passive roller and two that were driven which would make it better.  Clearly the 'knurls' are important too.  So the lifespan of the BC has been bounced around as 1-ton, right?  That would be about 200 batches for me which could be 5-6 years at my pace.  It's probably sun-setting.  

Pretty sure my JPS maltmill has a passive roller.  Only one is powered and the other will spin once the grain starts to move.  I will say the rollers are much longer than the BC.  

#32 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:51 AM

Pretty sure my JPS maltmill has a passive roller. Only one is powered and the other will spin once the grain starts to move. I will say the rollers are much longer than the BC.

My monster mill (2 roller)has one passive as well. Not sure Ive seen a 2 roller mill that has 2 active rollers. I always heard the issue with the BC was the small diameter rollers making it finicky as the knurls wear down. Never had anything get stuck in my mill.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:03 AM

My monster mill (2 roller)has one passive as well. Not sure Ive seen a 2 roller mill that has 2 active rollers. I always heard the issue with the BC was the small diameter rollers making it finicky as the knurls wear down. Never had anything get stuck in my mill.

I know the JPS mill had it as an option.  You can see it in the picture below, I am not aware of any other that are like this.

bbcrank.jpg

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:21 PM

Pretty sure my JPS maltmill has a passive roller.  Only one is powered and the other will spin once the grain starts to move.  I will say the rollers are much longer than the BC.  

Yep.  I have the same mill and one roller is passive.  No doubt, that may be the best homebrew mill ever made.  Too bad they stopped producing them.

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:20 AM

Yep.  I have the same mill and one roller is passive.  No doubt, that may be the best homebrew mill ever made.  Too bad they stopped producing them.

what a show off!!! ;)

#36 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

The Barley Crushers ship with a rubber band or O-ring that ties the passive roller to the active one but the ring craps out pretty quickly. I wonder if putting a more permanent solution on this would be beneficial?

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:57 AM

The Barley Crushers ship with a rubber band or O-ring that ties the passive roller to the active one but the ring craps out pretty quickly. I wonder if putting a more permanent solution on this would be beneficial?

I thought about that.  What could wrap around the active roller (similar to an o-ring) that wouldn't bust apart so quickly?  I do feel like that would make a huge difference.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

I thought about that.  What could wrap around the active roller (similar to an o-ring) that wouldn't bust apart so quickly?  I do feel like that would make a huge difference.

a differt durometer o-ring?  

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:40 PM

There was a ring on my JSP when I got it, too.  Fell off 15 years ago and I didn't notice any difference.

#40 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:37 AM

I believe I read a post by Jack where he said the ring was there as an assembly aid and not for driving the other roller.

I have an original fixed and the adjustable one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users