53 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

In the on-deck fridge there are 4 kegs.  One is a Vienna made with 2782 which I expect to be clear.  The others are a Cascade Pale Ale, a Dark, Hoppy wheat beer and a pale wheat.  I just hit those three with the clarifier and swirled them.  I will hit them again tomorrow morning.  The pale ale I posted a picture of was just put on tap yesterday so I hit that beer too.  I will hit them all again tomorrow morning and then leave them all for another 24 hours and see if it makes a difference.

Also, this Wyeast tech asked me if I accidentally added Tanal A to the beers.  I had to look that up.  It's a tannic acid that intentionally brings on a permanent haze.  Clearly that ingredient is NOT in my brewery.  :lol:

I am not sure we can actually get Tanal A.  I know of only one person that has mentioned they have it.  I looked for it a while back to experiment and got nowhere.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

Went back and forth with this guy... maybe 4-5 emails.  I sent him pics of these latest cloudy beers along with some of my recent clear beers made with 2112 and 2782.  He asked about boil time, ferment time, lager time, BTB, boil vigor, etc.  I asked if they had heard from anyone else about this issue and he said NO.  He said they would continue to noodle with it but I don't expect to hear back from them.  For the life of me I can't imagine what it could be.  With these recent 2112 and 2782 beers being clear and with some 2124 beers coming up (and if the 2124 beers are clear) I'm going to assume that this particular blob of 1056 had something weird happening with it.  If my upcoming 2124 beers are cloudy then it would suggest that it's something else in my system.  

#23 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

Went back and forth with this guy... maybe 4-5 emails.  I sent him pics of these latest cloudy beers along with some of my recent clear beers made with 2112 and 2782.  He asked about boil time, ferment time, lager time, BTB, boil vigor, etc.  I asked if they had heard from anyone else about this issue and he said NO.  He said they would continue to noodle with it but I don't expect to hear back from them.  For the life of me I can't imagine what it could be.  With these recent 2112 and 2782 beers being clear and with some 2124 beers coming up (and if the 2124 beers are clear) I'm going to assume that this particular blob of 1056 had something weird happening with it.  If my upcoming 2124 beers are cloudy then it would suggest that it's something else in my system.  

Probably the only way to know for sure.  That said, my money says you got a bum pack of 1056.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

I don't think I've experienced something like this where I could point to the yeast as the issue.

#25 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

I remember neddles mentioning cloudy brewtan b beers but I never experienced it.

I rescinded that claim.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:04 AM

I rescinded that claim.

I don't remember what happened.  You had cloudy beers and thought it could be the result of BTB but what... you determined it was something else?

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

I don't remember what happened. You had cloudy beers and thought it could be the result of BTB but what... you determined it was something else?

Yes. 30 minute low vigor boils.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

Yes. 30 minute low vigor boils.

Huh.  I guess I would have to know how low "low" is.  I'm using a 30 minute boil and I am mindful of the vigor but I can't imagine that I had too low of a boil on all six of these ales with 1056 and NO other recent beer.  That said, I have no issue employing a slightly more vigorous boil.  

#29 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:09 PM

I had a couple of cloudy lagers that never cleared.   I thought they might've frozen in my fridge initially.  However, I think it was the yeast as the other 5 gallons of each 10 gallon batch that had a different yeast were crystal clear.   Interesting. 

#30 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

Ken, I may be wrong about your process, but do you rack from the fermenters without dumping the yeast cake or do you use a shortened cane to avoid the yeast? I think you'd benefit from using a pressurizable conical where you can dump the yeast prior to sounding. Would help with clarity. Sometimes I think it's just down to particle count in suspension and amount that's picked up. My beers used to never clear and it was much easier once I dumped yeast from the conical
Spunding not sounding... autocorrect

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

Ken, I may be wrong about your process, but do you rack from the fermenters without dumping the yeast cake or do you use a shortened cane to avoid the yeast? I think you'd benefit from using a pressurizable conical where you can dump the yeast prior to sounding. Would help with clarity. Sometimes I think it's just down to particle count in suspension and amount that's picked up. My beers used to never clear and it was much easier once I dumped yeast from the conical
Spunding not sounding... autocorrect

I use a fermenter with a port.  I open the port with a line attached and send the beer through the port and line into the keg.  The vast majority of the yeast is sitting on the bottom of the fermenter below the port.  All of my beers have cleared using this process except these six 1056 beers.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

Update:  The one 1056 beer I have on tap (a pale ale) that was treated with TWO separate doses of the colloidal silicon dioxide clarifier was not improved at all.  I had 3-4 pints of it and it was as cloudy as ever.  I did run about a pint and a half off and toss it out assuming it would be heavily sedimented.  

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:49 AM

Update:  The one 1056 beer I have on tap (a pale ale) that was treated with TWO separate doses of the colloidal silicon dioxide clarifier was not improved at all.  I had 3-4 pints of it and it was as cloudy as ever.  I did run about a pint and a half off and toss it out assuming it would be heavily sedimented.  

Try real biofine 

:troll:

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:53 AM

well that really stinks.  still tastes okay at least right?

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:49 AM

Try real biofine 

:troll:

The funny thing is that gel solution has always done such a nice job that I never really had any confidence in this stuff in the first place.  I did get it to work decently on some low-oxygen beers awhile back but gel was still easier and better.  The beers taste fine.  They just look like a mess.  

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:39 AM

Last night I had an idea:  Use the ceramic mug!  I drank the blonde ale last night and it was delicious and also not visible!  :lol:

#37 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:40 AM

Last night I had an idea:  Use the ceramic mug!  I drank the blonde ale last night and it was delicious and also not visible!  :lol:

J5IsYmj.jpg

:D

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:33 PM

So here's the American Wheat:

wheat-beer-cloudy.jpg

I realize some wheat beers are hazy but this one was not meant to be. This beer had gel solution added and was also treated with two doses of the colloidal silicon dioxide clarifier. I have never had beer this hazy without it being contaminated. I have been drinking some of these out of the ceramic stein and for this one I added a lemon wedge. The taste is fine but WTF is with that haze? My latest beer (helles with 2124) has been in the fermenter for a week now and I plan to transfer it Thursday and brew with the 2124 again on Friday.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

redirect:  it will still be beer

#40 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

So here's the American Wheat:

wheat-beer-cloudy.jpg

I realize some wheat beers are hazy but this one was not meant to be. This beer had gel solution added and was also treated with two doses of the colloidal silicon dioxide clarifier. I have never had beer this hazy without it being contaminated. I have been drinking some of these out of the ceramic stein and for this one I added a lemon wedge. The taste is fine but WTF is with that haze? My latest beer (helles with 2124) has been in the fermenter for a week now and I plan to transfer it Thursday and brew with the 2124 again on Friday.

Being a wheat beer, it looks exactly like I'd expect a wheat to look, except for the part about it not being meant to be hazy.

What yeast did you use for the wheat? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users