positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:01 AM

Lot's of (hopefully) minor brewing errors on my maibock yesterday:

thought I had shorted my overall water by a gallon, added a gallon, realized I had just added an extra gallon

It will still be beer.

had to do a bunch of extra boiling to account for above but still only hit 70% efficiency.  I didn't boil quite enough so instead of 10-10.5 gallons of 1.070 wort I ended up with 11 gallons of 1.064 wort.

It will still be beer.

put 3oz of hallertau in at 60 and 1.1oz of magnum in at 15 (overall IBUs not significantly changed)

It will still be beer.

Usually I make zero errors so three is quite the increase.  I guess I wasn't quite in the right state of mind.  Good news is the fermentation is already going less than 24 hours later since I pitched on half of my helles yeast cake.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:06 AM

It will still be beer and could be one of your best. Heck the original Drez pale ale brewday was a train wreck on the hot side but cold side was great. Now I make that beer all the time!

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:12 AM

It will still be beer and could be one of your best. Heck the original Drez pale ale brewday was a train wreck on the hot side but cold side was great. Now I make that beer all the time!

well I checked online and magnum seems to have a similar flavor profile as hallertau so I don't think it will taste "wrong".  I'm hoping since the magnum was from hop heaven the freshness factor will help it seem closer to the larger amount of hallertau I meant to throw into the boil at that time.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:44 AM

It will still  be beer.

1.064 for a maibock is right in the zone in terms of O.G.; no worries there.

And since Magnum itself shares a common lineage with Hallertau, it should go very well with the Hallertau in your recipe.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:58 AM

It'll still be good beer.

So far today, forgot to top off the EHTL for the sparge.  Guestimated what I would need and started heating it.  That threw me off on kegging and prepping the fermenter.  Which let me ignore the boilover happening two feet away.

#6 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4907 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 01 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

I think my most disastrous brew day ever still resulted in some pretty good beer!

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

the extra boiling may give you a fuller sweeter finish from the maillard reaction,probably a goodthing

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

the extra boiling may give you a fuller sweeter finish from the maillard reaction,probably a goodthing

it just might.  I'll report back ;)

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

I made my biggest brewing mistake just last week.  About 10 min. into chilling a German pils I turned around and saw ALL my hop additions still sitting on a table!  Added 1.5 gal. water, boiled another 45 min. with the hops.  So far, seems to be fine.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

I made my biggest brewing mistake just last week.  About 10 min. into chilling a German pils I turned around and saw ALL my hop additions still sitting on a table!  Added 1.5 gal. water, boiled another 45 min. with the hops.  So far, seems to be fine.

I've done something similar except it was just the final couple of additions which meant I just needed to bring things back close to a boil.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:18 AM

WOW.  At what times were  you planning to add them originally?

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:40 AM

WOW.  At what times were  you planning to add them originally?

3 oz. Hallertau Mitt at 60 and 1 oz. Saaz at 10.  Utilization isn't much different at 45 than it is at 60.

#13 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:25 AM

I had a bad brew day as well Sunday. I hadn't brewed in awhile. First I started sparging before I even mashed out. Just started the sparge at mash temps. Then had a boil over. Then forgot to pitch the yeast, noticed about 5 hours later. It's all good.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:40 AM

I had a bad brew day as well Sunday. I hadn't brewed in awhile. First I started sparging before I even mashed out. Just started the sparge at mash temps. Then had a boil over. Then forgot to pitch the yeast, noticed about 5 hours later. It's all good.

I haven't mashed out on purpose in a long time.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:53 AM

I do it out of habit with the RIMS.  I am not sure if it makes a difference or not.

With that said I am not even sure the RIMS makes a difference anymore.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:39 AM

I do it out of habit with the RIMS. I am not sure if it makes a difference or not.

With that said I am not even sure the RIMS makes a difference anymore.

If my sparge is small enough I'll sometimes bring it close to boiling just to expedite my Brew day. I haven't noticed any issues from doing this either.

#17 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

I think I worded that wrong. What I meant is I didn't heat my sparge water any hotter than my mash temp. I just started fly sparging with mash temp water. Or is that normal now? I feel like I've been out of touch when it comes to brewing lately.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:28 AM

I think I worded that wrong. What I meant is I didn't heat my sparge water any hotter than my mash temp. I just started fly sparging with mash temp water. Or is that normal now? I feel like I've been out of touch when it comes to brewing lately.

What is this fly sparging you speak of? ;)

I don't know about fly sparging but I've tried batch sparging with room temperature water and it didn't seem to affect anything other than how long it took me to get to my boil.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:29 PM

It's been a few years since this one but.....  I always start a brew session with a 5 gallon bucket of starsan.  Sanitized all the post boil stuff, keg during the brew session and sanitize the kegs and fermenter.  Filled up my blow off container at the end and wondered why there was zero foam.  Then it hit me.  I filled the bucket with water and never put the starsan in.  Which meant the kegs, fermenter, hoses, pump and plate chiller were sanitized with Water One (our water supplier) tap water.  Couldn't do much at that point,  Kegged and chilled as soon as it was done and those two kegs had priority for a while.  Turned out fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users