Photo
- - - - -

Use your own ingredients with PicoBrew! Finally!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:18 AM

if there was something really easy that would allow me to make 5 gallon batches I'd consider going back down from 10 gallons.  but I don't think that thing really exists yet and for the amount of work 10 gallons is still making sense for me.

Pico Z2

#22 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

You've been able to customize paks for a long time. This new change means you don't have to use paks. And lest we forget, you can get a still option for the PIco, making it even more useful.

The still is definitely intriguing.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

Pico Z2

wait, is that just buying 2 2.5 gallon machines?  https://www.picobrew...oducts/z.cshtml

it would be hard to justify that kind of cash now but if I all my equipment was stolen or something I'd be thinking long and hard about this.

Edited by Zsasz, 27 May 2019 - 04:04 PM.

#24 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4994 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

wait, is that just buying 2 2.5 gallon machines?  https://www.picobrew...oducts/z.cshtml

it would be hard to justify that kind of cash now but if I all my equipment was stolen or something I'd be thinking long and hard about this.

I think it uses the same controller section, but adds a second 2.5 Gallon "Ingredients" section. 

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:06 AM

I think it uses the same controller section, but adds a second 2.5 Gallon "Ingredients" section. 

so I guess the question is - are these really that much easier to use compared to other 5 gallon systems (grainfather??  I can't remember all of them)?

I guess the other part that would be great to have automated is cleaning and sanitizing kegs and fermentors :D

#26 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

correct.  You can either brew 2 separate batches or a single 5 gal. batch.

so I guess the question is - are these really that much easier to use compared to other 5 gallon systems (grainfather??  I can't remember all of them)?

I guess the other part that would be great to have automated is cleaning and sanitizing kegs and fermentors :D

Oh, hell yes!  I have a couple of those other systems.  The Z is MUCH easier.  Automated cleaning and sanitizing will have to wit til we have robots.  One thing I like about thje GF conical is that I can program my etire fermentation schedule, then just let it run it.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:45 AM

One thing I like about thje GF conical is that I can program my etire fermentation schedule, then just let it run it.

Is that based on any feedback from the batch of beer?  Like if it is at 1.045 ramp to a set temp or is it more of day 1 -3 temp then ramp to x for a time period then cold crash?  

Also - have you used the PicoStill?

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

Is that based on any feedback from the batch of beer?  Like if it is at 1.045 ramp to a set temp or is it more of day 1 -3 temp then ramp to x for a time period then cold crash?  

Also - have you used the PicoStill?

It's like 5 days at 55, 3 days at 70, 12 days at 35.  Of course, there's ramp time to each of those.  Have not used the still yet.  It's been loaned out, but I'm getting it back to make some hop oils.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

It's like 5 days at 55, 3 days at 70, 12 days at 35.  Of course, there's ramp time to each of those.  Have not used the still yet.  It's been loaned out, but I'm getting it back to make some hop oils.

My mind did not go there but that is interesting.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:20 AM

My mind did not go there but that is interesting.

is there a digital sensor for measuring gravity real time that works pretty well?

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:40 AM

is there a digital sensor for measuring gravity real time that works pretty well?

Tilt works.  Some people say it is off by 0.002 or around there compared to a refractometer but in reality that is close enough for me.  Mine is still sitting in the box waiting to be used  :(

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:09 AM

Tilt works.  Some people say it is off by 0.002 or around there compared to a refractometer but in reality that is close enough for me.  Mine is still sitting in the box waiting to be used  :(

yeah - that seems close enough for government work for sure.

#33 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

It's like 5 days at 55, 3 days at 70, 12 days at 35. Of course, there's ramp time to each of those. Have not used the still yet. It's been loaned out, but I'm getting it back to make some hop oils.

What’s the procedure to make hops oil?

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

What’s the procedure to make hops oil?

I assume something like making the citrus oils described here...https://www.picobrew...icoStill.cshtml . I've had some beers that Annie made using oils she made.  They were great.

#35 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4994 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:58 AM

I guess I'm screwed!

Found out today that you have to have a registered PicoBrew machine to use the on-line recipe crafter for using your own ingredients.  

I'm out of luck since I bought my Pico S used and cannot contact the original owner. PicoBrew customer support can't contact them either. I can't register it unless the original registered owner verifies that they sold it...

I don't think you get the "use your own ingredients" firmware upgrade unless it's registered, either.

I'm pretty sure I can still use it with PicoPaks (5L recipes at a 5 gallon price!)

<HEAVY SIGH....>

Edited by jimdkc, 05 June 2019 - 01:59 AM.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:14 AM

I guess I'm screwed!

Found out today that you have to have a registered PicoBrew machine to use the on-line recipe crafter for using your own ingredients.  

I'm out of luck since I bought my Pico S used and cannot contact the original owner. PicoBrew customer support can't contact them either. I can't register it unless the original registered owner verifies that they sold it...

I don't think you get the "use your own ingredients" firmware upgrade unless it's registered, either.

I'm pretty sure I can still use it with PicoPaks (5L recipes at a 5 gallon price!)

<HEAVY SIGH....>

that is some serious BS.  I can't believe they can't help you out.  do you need me to vouch for you?  I've got your back!

#37 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4994 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

To their credit, PicoBrew did try to help me out by trying to contact the original registered owner. No response. 

The ebay seller had no contact info for the original owner, either. But, I'm pretty sure they just picked it up at a garage sale or estate sale or auction or something like that.

I do have a couple of PicoPaks on the way, so I should at least get some beer out of the deal!

#38 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:19 AM

They have got to have a way to fix it. That sounds pretty absurd

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

Right, this sounds like a policy issue and not some kind of hardware limitation. I would be hesitant to buy something this expensive that NEEDS an internet connection to fully function when it's not technically necessary. It's not like this policy is of any use to the consumer.

#40 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:34 AM

Come on Denny, pull some weight with these folks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users