Photo
- - - - -

Use your own ingredients with PicoBrew! Finally!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4973 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:18 AM

Got an interesting email this morning...

PicoBrew finally released a way to brew using your own ingredients rather than being tied to their pre-assembled (and expensive!) PicoPaks or their limited (and still expensive!) on-line FreeStyle build-your-own-recipe packs.

Looks like I'll be setting up the PicoBrew S that I bought on eBay a while back and see if I can get it going!

I ordered a couple of PicoPaks (mainly for testing): Dead Guy Ale (because I know what it tastes like) and Denny Conn's Rye IPA (because.. well... Denny Conn!) and the new kit that allows you to use your own ingredients (includes a special connector + ingredient bags)...

More to come!

I may be back into brewing. I'm excited!

Edit: Forgot to add the link. The new system is called "UnPak'd"...

https://picobrew.com...ts/picoC.cshtml

Edited by jimdkc, 21 May 2019 - 07:20 AM.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:21 AM

Great news! Glad they didn't go the way of the Keurig machine!

#3 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4973 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:22 AM

Here's the link to the thread where I originally bought the PicoBrew S...

https://brews-bros.c...ke/?hl=picobrew

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

That is cool and a nice change.  For some reason a pico still intrigues me...

#5 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4973 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:36 AM

That is cool and a nice change.  For some reason a pico still intrigues me...

A pico intrigues you, still... or a PicoStill intrigues you?

https://picobrew.com...icostill.cshtml

Edited by jimdkc, 21 May 2019 - 08:37 AM.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:40 AM

A pico intrigues you, still... or a PicoStill intrigues you?

https://picobrew.com...icostill.cshtml

LOL .. that space made a huge difference and I should have proofread my comment.  PicoStill.

#7 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4973 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:41 PM

Apparently a firmware upgrade to the built-in electronics now lets you set the time and temperature for each step.

Previously, the electronics read an RFID tag in the PicoPak, downloaded the recipe from the internet, and pre-set all the times and temperatures. You couldn't change them.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:14 PM

That worked out nice for you

#9 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4973 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:19 PM

That worked out nice for you

I knew the initial purchase was a risk, so I haven't really done anything with it yet. I'm excited to try it out now!

The main drawbacks of expensive PicoPaks and inflexible Build-your-own Paks are pretty much gone. I like the 5L batch size, too. I brew mainly for myself. This should allow me to brew pretty frequently and build up a pretty good assortment.

I'm still planning on eventually building out a 2-3 gallon system. I've got some 2.5 and 3 gallon corny's... Been thinking about a micro-kegerator, too...

#10 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4973 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

In case anybody's interested, the PicoBrew C, including the new UnPak'd Bundle, is on sale for a limited time at $329 (Regularly $424). 

https://picobrew.com...ts/picoC.cshtml

#11 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4973 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:57 AM

Ran into what may be a major glitch. I tried to register the unit with PicoBrew.com. Got an error message that it was already registered to another account. Submitted a service ticket with PicoBrew, and they replied that they would need to confirm the sale with the original owner before they could re-register it to me. (They have the original owner's email... why don't they just contact him???)

I shot the Ebay seller an email, but I'm pretty sure that the seller I bought it from is a liquidator, and not the original registered owner.

If I can't register it, I hope it will still work un-registered! It connects to my wi-fi and successfully updated it's firmware.

#12 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4973 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

PicoBrew is trying to contact the registered owner. They're being pretty nice about the whole thing... they could have just told me to get lost!

(I sure hope it's not stolen or something! I guess that's the risk you take...)

#13 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:04 AM

I actually preordered the C (or whatever the last one they kickstarted was) because of this custom pico pak idea. They ended up closing the kickstarter after they had production issues with other products so I never got one. This really makes it worth it.

I keep trying to convince myself to order one again. 

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

this would be a great way for someone who only wants to make small batches to get into the hobby with minimal effort.

#15 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

So I'm not the only one having impure thoughts?  Ah, good.  I just don't have the time to set everything up, brew, take it down again.  Been thinking about a Pico C for convenience, now that packs can be customized.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

So I'm not the only one having impure thoughts?  Ah, good.  I just don't have the time to set everything up, brew, take it down again.  Been thinking about a Pico C for convenience, now that packs can be customized.

You've been able to customize paks for a long time.  This new change means you don't have to use paks.  And lest we forget, you can get a still option for the PIco, making it even more useful.

#17 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4973 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:52 AM

this would be a great way for someone who only wants to make small batches to get into the hobby with minimal effort.

This is exactly what I wanted... Small batches and convenience. And now more control!

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:12 AM

if there was something really easy that would allow me to make 5 gallon batches I'd consider going back down from 10 gallons.  but I don't think that thing really exists yet and for the amount of work 10 gallons is still making sense for me.

#19 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

This is exactly what I wanted... Small batches and convenience. And now more control!

I'm in the same place.  I just can't drink that much beer any more and the convenience factor is a major selling point.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:22 AM

I'm in the same place.  I just can't drink that much beer any more and the convenience factor is a major selling point.

This is starting to really appeal to me, I have downsized houses, and beer consumption since I started.  I have brewed just 2 batches since 2016.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users