#21 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:31 AM

Is there a benefit of Iodophor over Starsan?  I switched to Starsan many, many moons ago and never looked back.  Five Star also makes a non-foaming version of Starsan (can't remember the name now) but a do have a bottle of it around somewhere.  I was going to use it for re-circulating sanitization but never set it up.

ETA:  It's Saniclean.  Also, I don't rinse starsan.  just dump it and leave the foam.

Edited by JKor, 28 May 2020 - 06:32 AM.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:52 AM

Is there a benefit of Iodophor over Starsan?  I switched to Starsan many, many moons ago and never looked back.  Five Star also makes a non-foaming version of Starsan (can't remember the name now) but a do have a bottle of it around somewhere.  I was going to use it for re-circulating sanitization but never set it up.

ETA:  It's Saniclean.  Also, I don't rinse starsan.  just dump it and leave the foam.

There is.  I think it had to do with Iodophor getting rid of some things Starsan did not.  There were many posts on it here.  I think it was mentioned by Denny or Ken.  I bought some but have not used it yet.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:56 AM

Right, iodophor kills wild yeast and starsan is no guarantee. If say it's at least good to alternate sometimes to make sure nothing takes hold in your brewery. I still use both.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:12 AM

Right, iodophor kills wild yeast and starsan is no guarantee. If say it's at least good to alternate sometimes to make sure nothing takes hold in your brewery. I still use both.

I think I am going to run it though a bunch of kegs.  Fill the keg cleaner with it and let them run for a couple minutes.

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:19 AM

Interesting.

What's the bee's knees in keg cleaners nowadays?  i see that CIP spray balls have become much more reasonably priced.  I remember trying to find those way back when and having no luck at all.

I built a keg cleaner out of PVC, with a homemade nozzle, a while back but it never got the kegs clean enough.

ETA:  This looks nice

https://www.ssbrewte...cts/keg-wassher

Edited by JKor, 28 May 2020 - 07:23 AM.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:23 AM

Interesting.

What's the bee's knees in keg cleaners nowadays?  i see that CIP spray balls have become much more reasonably priced.  I remember trying to find those way back when and having no luck at all.

I built a keg cleaner out of PVC, with a homemade nozzle, a while back but it never got the kegs clean enough.

I still use my homemade one and have no issues.  I would like to go and get a CIP ball but have not yet.

#27 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:49 PM

IMO there is.  Iodophor will kill some wild yeasts that StarSan won't.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:18 PM

what strength do you guys mix this to?  12.5 ppm or 25 ppm?

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:35 PM

I've been mixing it to 25 ppm which might be too strong to be no rinse :(

I've drank probably 100 gallons of beer like this...

#30 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:08 AM

dead man walking!

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:50 AM

dead man walking!

I wish I could without my foot hurting. Sucks.

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:32 AM

what strength do you guys mix this to?  12.5 ppm or 25 ppm?

12.5  If you have questions we can't answer, I'd be happy to put you in touch with my friend at National Chemical or ask him to stop by here

Edited by denny, 03 June 2020 - 10:33 AM.

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:01 PM

I found the thread on the HBA forum that answered most of my questions previously.  I pretty much never get all of the iodophor out of my vessels despite leaving them upside down for 10-15 minutes.  there is always a small puddle after I leave them right side up again.  with starsan I didn't worry about this at all and I figured iodophor was the same.  now I'm wondering if I'm dosing myself with too much of the stuff via my homebrew since I drink it pretty much daily and I was utilizing the top end of the acceptable range at 25 ppm.  I'll def be cutting it in half or at least close to half in the future.

Edited by Mando, 03 June 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#34 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:31 AM

When you dump the wort in there it's way less than 25ppm.  :)

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:33 AM

When you dump the wort in there it's way less than 25ppm.  :)

I'm not assuming I can drink the stuff at 25 ppm though.  I don't know how diluted it needs to be to be safe.  what's the risk here though?  is it just iodine?  or is there something else I'd want to concern myself with?  I'm not sure what the long term affects of slightly more iodine than you need is.  most of the information out there is about not having enough or having way too much really quickly.

Edited by Mando, 04 June 2020 - 11:33 AM.

#36 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:12 PM

I can't imagine it's a health risk at these dilutions.

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:21 PM

I can't imagine it's a health risk at these dilutions.

you are likely right.  sometimes I get paranoid when really I should probably be more concerned about the alcohol  :P

Edited by Mando, 04 June 2020 - 12:21 PM.

#38 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:00 PM

I'm not assuming I can drink the stuff at 25 ppm though. I don't know how diluted it needs to be to be safe. what's the risk here though? is it just iodine? or is there something else I'd want to concern myself with? I'm not sure what the long term affects of slightly more iodine than you need is. most of the information out there is about not having enough or having way too much really quickly.

It is iodine with phosphoric acid. When I use it, I stick to the low end of the “rinse free” dilution.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:06 PM

It is iodine with phosphoric acid. When I use it, I stick to the low end of the “rinse free” dilution.

do you know if there are any issues beyond the beer might taste a little like iodine?

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:35 AM

do you know if there are any issues beyond the beer might taste a little like iodine?

Your color looks a little funny dude .. You feel okay  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users