#21 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

Agreed +1 on Zym and Earth comment. Looks like a mighty fine start to fermentation. Let it roll and enjoy it too. Have a few brews as well.

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64095 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

I haven't had any problems with cloudiness I think b/c I do an extended secondary in my beer fridge. Here is a pic of my AIPA, note how it's pretty easy to see the "boob light" through the glass. Thanks to my friend Todd for helping me kick that keg last night ;)note: this is a 13.5 SRM beer.Posted Image

Not to be the ass here (:facepalm:), but I would consider that beer to be fairly cloudy, unless the camera is playing tricks. Keep in mind, I'm going for crystal clear on my beers. I'm not quite there yet, still having some chill haze problems. I would consider the beer below cloudy:Posted Image

#23 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:17 AM

Not to be the ass here (;)), but I would consider that beer to be fairly cloudy, unless the camera is playing tricks. Keep in mind, I'm going for crystal clear on my beers. I'm not quite there yet, still having some chill haze problems. I would consider the beer below cloudy:Posted Image

I've seen commercial beers that have more haze than that!Part of that picture is the camera playing tricks yes. Part of it is that it's a pretty dark beer and that alone is enough to make it a little hard to see through. Part of it is that apparently I'm less concerned with some level of haze.For instance, here is an MLPA (the camera is more focused on the background but you can pretty easily see my grill through the beer). This is pretty much the standard amount of clearness I get:Posted Image

#24 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64095 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

The little bit of haze doesn't really bother me, it just something that I know I can improve in my process. I just think that a crystal clear beer, in most cases, is much more impressive than one that has even a slight haze.

#25 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

The little bit of haze doesn't really bother me, it just something that I know I can improve in my process. I just think that a crystal clear beer, in most cases, is much more impressive than one that has even a slight haze.

I figure if you want it that clear you either need to use something in secondary to drop things out (like Ken does) or filtering is in order.

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64095 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

I figure if you want it that clear you either need to use something in secondary to drop things out (like Ken does) or filtering is in order.

I don't think so. I think you can get 99% of the way there just by your process. Finings can give you that last little bit or help with consistency, but if you're doing everything right in the brewing process I don't think they're even needed.

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64095 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

While I was leaf blowing this morning I listened to the Brew Strong episode on haze with guest Dr. Charles Bamforth. Really good information about haze in beer. I'd highly recommend it.

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

I don't think so. I think you can get 99% of the way there just by your process. Finings can give you that last little bit or help with consistency, but if you're doing everything right in the brewing process I don't think they're even needed.

yeah - if it doesn't result in a taste change I'm probably not going to care at this point.

#29 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

I've seen commercial beers that have more haze than that!

I had a Founders Dirty Bastard last night and was amazed how NOT clear that beer was. not even remotely clear.

#30 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

by the way I've noticed a HUGE difference when I use the whirlfloc in the kettle and letting the trub settle out in the boil kettle and THEN auto-syphoning off of what Ken calls "shputz". Basically just siphoning off the clearest wort. 90% of the time i do not need anything to clear the beer any further that a good cold secondary and some time.But, on the other hand I'm not not really that obsessive about it either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users