#1 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

I racked a lot of cold break and hop material into my carboy. There's yeast in there as well. What should I do, if anything?

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:06 AM

It shouldn't be a problem. You'll just end up with a little less beer, and if you reuse yeast, a little more washing. Just ferment at a proper temperature for that yeast and everything will be ok. There has been studies that you may get a little more bitterness from the hop material and also that fermenting with break material can benefit the fermentation.

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:11 AM

I racked a lot of cold break and hop material into my carboy. There's yeast in there as well. What should I do, if anything?

If it's really a LOT (like 2-3 inches at the bottom of the carboy) what I usually do is let it settle good for about a day, then rack to a new carboy and then pitch the yeast. A little bit of trub is beneficial to fermentation but a lot can cause haze and stability problems. It also makes it harder to reuse the yeast.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:19 AM

If it's really a LOT (like 2-3 inches at the bottom of the carboy) what I usually do is let it settle good for about a day, then rack to a new carboy and then pitch the yeast. A little bit of trub is beneficial to fermentation but a lot can cause haze and stability problems. It also makes it harder to reuse the yeast.

I always have a decent amount at first but it generally settles down to be about an inch after a couple of days. Is this alright?

#5 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

I always have a decent amount at first but it generally settles down to be about an inch after a couple of days. Is this alright?

that was where I was at before I got a kettle with a spigot and started whirlpooling. Other than a little more cloudy beer other issues were not a problem.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

that was where I was at before I got a kettle with a spigot and started whirlpooling. Other than a little more cloudy beer other issues were not a problem.

I haven't had any problems with cloudiness I think b/c I do an extended secondary in my beer fridge. Here is a pic of my AIPA, note how it's pretty easy to see the "boob light" through the glass. Thanks to my friend Todd for helping me kick that keg last night :rolf:note: this is a 13.5 SRM beer.Posted Image

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

I haven't noticed any difference in the finished beer with the amount of cold break in the fermenter. The main issue is more cold break = less head space, but that is not an issue for me. Even if you rack perfectly clear beer into the fermenter it is going to get very cloudy when the yeast start to ferment. The cold break racked over usually settles solidly on the bottom within a few hours.

#8 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:40 AM

There seems to be an awful lot of cold break (like 5 or 6 inches), as it settles, but it hasn't compacted yet. I really saw no way to avoid the cold break. I whirlpooled, which made a nice hop cone in the center, but the cold break didn't happen until, obviously, after I chilled using an immersion chiller. There was tons of it between the immersion chiller and the kettle wall -- the same side that I racked from. I can't wait till the end of december when someone from my home-brew club is going to help me make a keggle. :rolf:Thanks for the help!

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

There seems to be an awful lot of cold break (like 5 or 6 inches), as it settles, but it hasn't compacted yet. I really saw no way to avoid the cold break. I whirlpooled, which made a nice hop cone in the center, but the cold break didn't happen until, obviously, after I chilled using an immersion chiller. There was tons of it between the immersion chiller and the kettle wall -- the same side that I racked from. I can't wait till the end of december when someone from my home-brew club is going to help me make a keggle. ;)Thanks for the help!

It will settle, fear not!

#10 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

do you whirlpool before chilling?

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:47 AM

I haven't had any problems with cloudiness I think b/c I do an extended secondary in my beer fridge. Here is a pic of my AIPA, note how it's pretty easy to see the "boob light" through the glass. Thanks to my friend Todd for helping me kick that keg last night ;)note: this is a 13.5 SRM beer.Posted Image

Is it wrong that it's only 10:45 and I'm drooling??? Must brew and IPA!!!

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:51 AM

Is it wrong that it's only 10:45 and I'm drooling??? Must brew and IPA!!!

it's well past lunch over here buddy ;)

#13 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

do you whirlpool before chilling?

My process:(1) Take kettle off of burner and put on table (to get a higher level for gravity).(2) Give it a real good stir to get a whirlpool going, and let it go for a minute or so.(3) Put in immersion chiller. Wait a little bit to let it sanitize.(4) Start chilling with the IC.After I got it below 85F -- I live in Miami and can't get it much cooler than that -- I started to rack into the carboy. Maybe I should have waited longer to let the cold break settle in the boil kettle? I'm usually pretty anxious to get the wort out of the kettle once it's no longer boiling. Is there anything I'm missing that could help until I get my keggle built?

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:56 AM

My process:(1) Take kettle off of burner and put on table (to get a higher level for gravity).(2) Give it a real good stir to get a whirlpool going, and let it go for a minute or so.(3) Put in immersion chiller. Wait a little bit to let it sanitize.(4) Start chilling with the IC.After I got it below 85F -- I live in Miami and can't get it much cooler than that -- I started to rack into the carboy. Maybe I should have waited longer to let the cold break settle in the boil kettle? I'm usually pretty anxious to get the wort out of the kettle once it's no longer boiling. Is there anything I'm missing that could help until I get my keggle built?

I wouldn't recommend stirring prior to the wort dropping below 80F.

#15 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

I wouldn't recommend stirring prior to the wort dropping below 80F.

Exactly...I always put my immersion chiller in with about 10-15 minutes left to sanitize. Turn off the burner, chill, take out chiller, whirlpool, let sit for stuff to settle out, then rack to the carboy. What zym is saying is that you don't want hot side aeration which "may" lead to oxidation issues in the beer.

#16 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

Exactly...I always put my immersion chiller in with about 10-15 minutes left to sanitize. Turn off the burner, chill, take out chiller, whirlpool, let sit for stuff to settle out, then rack to the carboy. What zym is saying is that you don't want hot side aeration which "may" lead to oxidation issues in the beer.

Yep this is the correct process. Chill first and then whirlpool and let settle (usually 10-20 minutes for me) and then rack to fermenter.

#17 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:25 PM

Yep this is the correct process. Chill first and then whirlpool and let settle (usually 10-20 minutes for me) and then rack to fermenter.

Ok, this would explain a lot. Though I'm not too concerned with HSA, it would help to get the cold-break out of the way. I'll try this next brew if I don't have my keggle by then.

#18 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

Just 2.5 hours after pitching, I'm already beginning to get some fermentation action! However, the cold break is starting to come up and sit on top! I know, I know, RDHAHB, but is this normal?:Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

normal. all clear. drink a beer.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove