#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:50 AM

I was setting up to do an all Vienna lager Friday and as always it's too early in the week to nail down a final recipe and I have a terrible habit of changing the bill all the time. 

After reading an Xbeeriment about Vienna vs. Munich, where both at 100% were very good and flavorful, I was thinking I might do a 50/50 Pilsner/Barke Munich.  I'm wondering if it would be too bready.  I want to keep it around the 1.050 mark and "sorta" light.  It also has to be a chuggable concoction. 

As Ken would say I'm just noodling right now.  You guys have any thoughts on this? 

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:00 AM

Okay, now you're just pushing my buttons... you, you, button-pusher!  :lol:

Your other post about half-pils, half-vienna had me dreaming of something similar.  Here's a question, are you talking munich 1 (6-8L) or munich 2 (9-12L)?  I ask because this Oktoberfest lager I've been making started as half pils, half munich 2.  It's excellent but it leans towards an amber-colored lager and it's loaded with grainy, bready character.  So much so that I went with more pils (65/35) and I have that on tap now.  Because the low-O2 steps I'm taking lightened the color a bit, I might lean back towards a 55/45 or 60/40 but either way, that's my Oktoberfest lager recipe going forward.  Your other post had me doing something like a 50/50 pils, vienna with some Magnum to bitter and then just a couple of ounces of Hallertau in the last 5-10 minutes... gold but with some color, some depth from the 50% vienna and then mild hopping for a good balance overall.  If your Barke was Munich 1, I would think it would be great.  If it's Munich 2, it may be more like a Festbier.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:01 AM

My dunkel is 58% Dark Munich and 38% Pils and I do not find that to bready at all ( .  I think it would be just fine.  I swore I did a beer that was 50/50 Pils to Munich but I am having a problem locating it.

I know Ken has done the 50/50 beer.

ETA: And like that I come in after Ken

Edited by drez77, 10 October 2018 - 06:01 AM.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:22 AM

Okay, now you're just pushing my buttons... you, you, button-pusher!  :lol:

Your other post about half-pils, half-vienna had me dreaming of something similar.  Here's a question, are you talking munich 1 (6-8L) or munich 2 (9-12L)?  I ask because this Oktoberfest lager I've been making started as half pils, half munich 2.  It's excellent but it leans towards an amber-colored lager and it's loaded with grainy, bready character.  So much so that I went with more pils (65/35) and I have that on tap now.  Because the low-O2 steps I'm taking lightened the color a bit, I might lean back towards a 55/45 or 60/40 but either way, that's my Oktoberfest lager recipe going forward.  Your other post had me doing something like a 50/50 pils, vienna with some Magnum to bitter and then just a couple of ounces of Hallertau in the last 5-10 minutes... gold but with some color, some depth from the 50% vienna and then mild hopping for a good balance overall.  If your Barke was Munich 1, I would think it would be great.  If it's Munich 2, it may be more like a Festbier.

I 'believe' the Barke Munich to be 1.  What I don't want here is too 'bready' though.  I think it would make sense to add more Pils.

But since I got you thinking maybe I should stick to my original Vienna plan :)  

My dunkel is 58% Dark Munich and 38% Pils and I do not find that to bready at all ( .  I think it would be just fine.  I swore I did a beer that was 50/50 Pils to Munich but I am having a problem locating it.

I know Ken has done the 50/50 beer.

ETA: And like that I come in after Ken

A Dunkel is exactly what I want to use this upcoming S-189 cake on :)  

Decisions, decisions.  It's my own fault for "noodling" way too early in the week hahahaha

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:36 AM

Timely thread. I have a bunch of pils sitting around, but have decided I don't want to make anything until I get my hands on some lager yeast. I've only done one lager years ago, and I'm kind of craving a super crushable beer on tap. I've been toying with making something with a bunch of pils and like 2# of either munich or vienna. So not nearly as much as you're talking about, but still.

I'm going to buy some of that Mangrove Jack Bavarian yeast. It claims it ferments pretty low, so I'll actually be able to ferment in my keggerator!

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:47 AM

50/50 Pils/Munich is one of my fav grain combos.

I'd not worry about it being too bready, since the pils will cut the Munich character a bit.  You'll still get plenty of breadiness from the Munich, but the pils will keep it from running amok.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:54 AM

I'm going to buy some of that Mangrove Jack Bavarian yeast. It claims it ferments pretty low, so I'll actually be able to ferment in my keggerator!

The consensus on that MJs yeast is on the "thumbs-down" side.  I actually haven't used it but I have two packs of M76 in my fridge.  Chils has used it more than anyone and I think M84 is his choice but it's slow to start (like really slow) and I think it was concluded that the character of it is just "okay", not great.  As a result I haven't used it.  <_<

I'd not worry about it being too bready, since the pils will cut the Munich character a bit.  You'll still get plenty of breadiness from the Munich, but the pils will keep it from running amok.

On this Oktoberfest I have on tap now, the first few glasses of it had a SUPER bready, grainy thing going on.  I'm not sure if that's just that the beer was young (I did kind-of rush it) or because the low-O2 steps preserved a lot of that character and now it's fading.  But I was drinking it last night and everything has cleared up, smoothed out and just become a delicious, smooth, balanced beer.  You can tell that it's maltier and a bit deeper than your standard gold lager but it's not over-the-top.  It reminds me that you sometimes have to allow a beer to get to its full potential before coming to a conclusion.  

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:01 AM

Timely thread. I have a bunch of pils sitting around, but have decided I don't want to make anything until I get my hands on some lager yeast. I've only done one lager years ago, and I'm kind of craving a super crushable beer on tap. I've been toying with making something with a bunch of pils and like 2# of either munich or vienna. So not nearly as much as you're talking about, but still.

Super crushable is where my thinking is with Friday's pending recipe :)  I'm with Ken on the MJ yeast.  I haven't used it either but I've read too many things that suggest making a different choice.  That said, you cannot go wrong with a couple packs of 34/70, ever.  34/70 is also forgiving if you ferment a little higher if your controls aren't dialed in.  

Maybe a 60/40 combo then.  I really want some of that Munich body and character but again, hot Florida heat dictates a quaffable beer :)

I say we all get something like this going on asap!!!!

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the MJ yeast, I'll have to make a hard pass based on your recommendations. 

You guys have a suggestion for a yeast that ferments cold? I keep my kegerator in the 40-45ish range.

And Poptop, don't you worry, this is my next brew!

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the MJ yeast, I'll have to make a hard pass based on your recommendations. 

You guys have a suggestion for a yeast that ferments cold? I keep my kegerator in the 40-45ish range.

And Poptop, don't you worry, this is my next brew!

I don't really have a specific suggestion but are you into dry yeast only?  If so, 34/70 sounds like the plan and S-189 is nice too.  S-189 does not really have a ton of character but it's a solid performer.  If you want to use liquid and make a starter, 2124, Omega Bayern (I just finished an unprecedented EIGHT-batch run with that yeast) and now the 2782 that Drez mentioned in the main forum.  Great yeast and Ritebrew has it for $5.99.  

#11 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:31 AM

Super crushable is where my thinking is with Friday's pending recipe :)  I'm with Ken on the MJ yeast.  I haven't used it either but I've read too many things that suggest making a different choice.  That said, you cannot go wrong with a couple packs of 34/70, ever.  34/70 is also forgiving if you ferment a little higher if your controls aren't dialed in. 

Maybe a 60/40 combo then.  I really want some of that Munich body and character but again, hot Florida heat dictates a quaffable beer :)

If you're after quaffable, I'd suggest 70/30 or 75/25 pils/Munich.  That ought to give some good Munich character and still be crushable.

And i agree 1000% on 34/70; i've fermented it at 50° and at 68°; no change (at least that I can perceive).  Just lagery goodness.

#12 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:40 AM

Nice, thanks for the tips guys!

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:02 AM

If you're after quaffable, I'd suggest 70/30 or 75/25 pils/Munich.  That ought to give some good Munich character and still be crushable.

And i agree 1000% on 34/70; i've fermented it at 50° and at 68°; no change (at least that I can perceive).  Just lagery goodness.

70/30 is my design with Tettnang as a bitter and a finish and a little Hersbrucker for good measure.  Intending on S-189 but just might do 1 each 34/70 and S-189 for shits and grins

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:02 AM

JB, don't forget to invite me over when that beer is ready to um... crush.  :lol:

#15 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

JB, don't forget to invite me over when that beer is ready to um... crush.  :lol:

I'll have to! I've got a get together going on this saturday, but no homebrew.  :(

Next time I'll reach out!

#16 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:36 AM

FWIW, I've had the same experience with OYL-114 as well, I ferment at 65F all the time now.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:46 AM

FWIW, I've had the same experience with OYL-114 as well, I ferment at 65F all the time now.

Is that the West Coast ale yeast?  

#18 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:03 AM

Bayern Lager

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:12 AM

Bayern Lager

Oh shoot.  I don't know the numbers of the Omega yeast as well as I should.  

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:19 AM

Oh shoot.  I don't know the numbers of the Omega yeast as well as I should.  

I had to look it up too :)  In our little community here, using the term Bayern is like using the term Coke..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users