24 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:37 AM

I had to look it up too :)  In our little community here, using the term Bayern is like using the term Coke..........

I've only used the Bayern and the West Coast Ale (which is like 1056).  If it wasn't for Wyeast releasing the lager yeast as 2352 Munich 2 and neddles mentioning that Bayern is the same yeast, I probably would have never tried any of the Omega strains.  I now learn that there is a Mexican lager strain (which is probably 940) by Omega but that only larger retailers like NB carry it.  My only other guess is that it's actually the yeast strain of the other Mexican brewery (Moctezuma... makers of Tecate, Bohemia, Sol, Indio) and not 940.  At some point Wyeast released something called 2005 Mexicana as a limited strain.  I ordered it and it WAS NOT 940... it had no real character.  

#22 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:38 AM

@poptop

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind in the future :)

I was puzzled by Ken's post, I'm thinkin' "wait you guys use this yeast all the time"

Edited by Merlinwerks, 17 October 2018 - 07:40 AM.

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

@poptop

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind in the future :)

I was puzzled by Ken's post, I'm thinkin' "wait you guys use this yeast all the time"

In fairness, it is a little disappointing that Ken didn't know the number :(  :)

#24 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:01 AM

I've only used the Bayern and the West Coast Ale (which is like 1056).  If it wasn't for Wyeast releasing the lager yeast as 2352 Munich 2 and neddles mentioning that Bayern is the same yeast, I probably would have never tried any of the Omega strains.  I now learn that there is a Mexican lager strain (which is probably 940) by Omega but that only larger retailers like NB carry it.  My only other guess is that it's actually the yeast strain of the other Mexican brewery (Moctezuma... makers of Tecate, Bohemia, Sol, Indio) and not 940.  At some point Wyeast released something called 2005 Mexicana as a limited strain.  I ordered it and it WAS NOT 940... it had no real character.  

Jeebus, my head hurts after reading this.  Brother, you are one yeasty walking encyclopedia.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:32 AM

Jeebus, my head hurts after reading this.  Brother, you are one yeasty walking encyclopedia.

Ha.  But I didn't know the number for Bayern so I can't advance to the next class.  <_<  :lol:

Omega Mexican Lager Yeast

Where to buy it.  But... it's out of stock at MW and NB.  It's also $10.99.  <_<  Also, for future reference and for future tests, its number is OYL-113.  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users