25 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:41 PM

Pressed 9.5 gallons of Whitney Crabs on Tuesday. 5 gallons are fermenting with S-04 @60F and 3 more are fermenting with the yeast/organisms that were on the fruit, also @60F. Drinking the other 1.5 gal. fresh. Anyone else here still do this?

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

I've not had fresh pressed in YEARS, but I would love to. 

Last cider I made was last year from a kit. Turned out perfectly good, even aged it with a few lbs of blueberries just cause I had happened to go picking with the family.

trying to convince the old lady to plant some apple trees on our property, see if I can actually get something useful out eventually!

Did you end up pasturing the S-04 batch at all? I hadn't the time I made some and it turned out perfectly good.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:12 PM

I've not had fresh pressed in YEARS, but I would love to. 

Last cider I made was last year from a kit. Turned out perfectly good, even aged it with a few lbs of blueberries just cause I had happened to go picking with the family.

trying to convince the old lady to plant some apple trees on our property, see if I can actually get something useful out eventually!

Did you end up pasturing the S-04 batch at all? I hadn't the time I made some and it turned out perfectly good.

No sulfites or pasteurization. I need to get it cold and in a keg soon because I think it's done. I turned down the fermenter a little and let this one go slowly at 58ºF.

Edited by neddles, 07 September 2018 - 07:13 PM.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:14 AM

Pressed 9.5 gallons of Whitney Crabs on Tuesday. 5 gallons are fermenting with S-04 @60F and 3 more are fermenting with the yeast/organisms that were on the fruit, also @60F. Drinking the other 1.5 gal. fresh. Anyone else here still do this?

If I had access to apples I would.  I've made only a couple ciders and only one was imho very good.  Oddly enough I used S-04 and that yeast not only tore through my must but it shined brilliantly and had a perfect flavor for cider.  I back sweetened with freeze distilled pear juice and nailed it.  I've been thinking about making another batch and you inspired me.  S-04 all the way too.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:29 AM

This is the first time I have tried S-04 but have heard it makes nice cider. We will see! Reminds me... I think I need to keg the S-04 batch.

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:11 PM

Yea, S-04 makes a pretty good cider. I think my favorite is Champagne, but that's just cause I like my cider bone dry.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:20 PM

Yea, S-04 makes a pretty good cider. I think my favorite is Champagne, but that's just cause I like my cider bone dry.

have you tried letting it go wild?  that seems to dry it out pretty good here.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:38 PM

I've got a 3 gallon batch I let go wild at cool temps, no sulfite. Just finishing now after over a month.

I started another 5 gallon batch last week doing something a little different that I read about. I added half the recommended dose of sulfites. Supposedly this will kill off the spoilage organisms but not the sacc. yeasts and some of the apiculate yeasts that help to give the wild ferment its flavor. According to what I read the lag period will be very long after doing this but will eventually start and get you a great wild ferment. Guess we will see.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:21 AM

have you tried letting it go wild?  that seems to dry it out pretty good here.

I haven't done pure wild, but I did fresh pressed juice from the farm and store bought yeast. It was really good.

#10 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:48 PM

If I had access to apples I would.  I've made only a couple ciders and only one was imho very good.  Oddly enough I used S-04 and that yeast not only tore through my must but it shined brilliantly and had a perfect flavor for cider.  I back sweetened with freeze distilled pear juice and nailed it.  I've been thinking about making another batch and you inspired me.  S-04 all the way too.

You can order 5-gallon hot packs of apple juice intended for hard cider from Walkers in upstate N.Y.  Under $40 as I recall.  I usually set aside a gallon for freeze concentrating so when the ferment is done, it can be used for back sweetening.

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:56 PM

You can order 5-gallon hot packs of apple juice intended for hard cider from Walkers in upstate N.Y.  Under $40 as I recall.  I usually set aside a gallon for freeze concentrating so when the ferment is done, it can be used for back sweetening.

jus reserve?

#12 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:48 AM

jus reserve?

Not familiar with the term.  Idea is to freeze a certain amount and when ferment is done, upend the frozen juice container and let it thaw to about half the original frozen volume.  What's left behind is the water and the juice that emerges is highly concentrated.  Comes from a pyment recipe in the Complete Meadmaker, but translates well to cider.

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:19 PM

Not familiar with the term.  Idea is to freeze a certain amount and when ferment is done, upend the frozen juice container and let it thaw to about half the original frozen volume.  What's left behind is the water and the juice that emerges is highly concentrated.  Comes from a pyment recipe in the Complete Meadmaker, but translates well to cider.

French winemaking technique I read about ,where some unfermented must is reserved, freeze concentrated and added to barrels after sterile filtering to highlight the original fruit character.

#14 frankerector

frankerector

Perro Grande

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5295 posts
  • LocationHOLLYWOOD AND VINE!....Just signed a deal!

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

French winemaking technique I read about ,where some unfermented must is reserved, freeze concentrated and added to barrels after sterile filtering to highlight the original fruit character.

Hey Mic.......Is the must in the bottle I have any good? Is the yeast dead?

Right on the bottle it says it will ferment when opened.....

It says leave the top cracked or it will explode....

I've had the balloon on since around lunch time.......

No activity..

:frank:

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:28 PM

taste a little bit

#16 frankerector

frankerector

Perro Grande

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5295 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:53 AM

taste a little bit

What am I looking for Mic?

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:57 PM

What am I looking for Mic?

it'll taste wine ish, shouldn't be sour

#18 frankerector

frankerector

Perro Grande

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5295 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

Hey Mic!

It is carbonated.....

How’s that.

I can’t tell if it has an alcohol content.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:28 AM

Hey Mic!

It is carbonated.....

How’s that.

I can’t tell if it has an alcohol content.

it's slowly fermenting now, just leave it somewhere cool and dark for a few weeks

#20 frankerector

frankerector

Perro Grande

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5295 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:04 AM

it's slowly fermenting now, just leave it somewhere cool and dark for a few weeks

Cool!

Thanks Mic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users