5 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11154 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:41 PM

Pressed 9.5 gallons of Whitney Crabs on Tuesday. 5 gallons are fermenting with S-04 @60F and 3 more are fermenting with the yeast/organisms that were on the fruit, also @60F. Drinking the other 1.5 gal. fresh. Anyone else here still do this?

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

I've not had fresh pressed in YEARS, but I would love to. 

Last cider I made was last year from a kit. Turned out perfectly good, even aged it with a few lbs of blueberries just cause I had happened to go picking with the family.

trying to convince the old lady to plant some apple trees on our property, see if I can actually get something useful out eventually!

Did you end up pasturing the S-04 batch at all? I hadn't the time I made some and it turned out perfectly good.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11154 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:12 PM

I've not had fresh pressed in YEARS, but I would love to. 

Last cider I made was last year from a kit. Turned out perfectly good, even aged it with a few lbs of blueberries just cause I had happened to go picking with the family.

trying to convince the old lady to plant some apple trees on our property, see if I can actually get something useful out eventually!

Did you end up pasturing the S-04 batch at all? I hadn't the time I made some and it turned out perfectly good.

No sulfites or pasteurization. I need to get it cold and in a keg soon because I think it's done. I turned down the fermenter a little and let this one go slowly at 58ºF.

Edited by neddles, 07 September 2018 - 07:13 PM.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4242 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:14 AM

Pressed 9.5 gallons of Whitney Crabs on Tuesday. 5 gallons are fermenting with S-04 @60F and 3 more are fermenting with the yeast/organisms that were on the fruit, also @60F. Drinking the other 1.5 gal. fresh. Anyone else here still do this?

If I had access to apples I would.  I've made only a couple ciders and only one was imho very good.  Oddly enough I used S-04 and that yeast not only tore through my must but it shined brilliantly and had a perfect flavor for cider.  I back sweetened with freeze distilled pear juice and nailed it.  I've been thinking about making another batch and you inspired me.  S-04 all the way too.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11154 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:29 AM

This is the first time I have tried S-04 but have heard it makes nice cider. We will see! Reminds me... I think I need to keg the S-04 batch.

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:11 PM

Yea, S-04 makes a pretty good cider. I think my favorite is Champagne, but that's just cause I like my cider bone dry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users