Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A more pale vienna lager coming up this week...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

I mentioned this in another thread.  There is a brewery/bar in Bloomington, IN that makes a beer called Brickyard Vienna.  Of course I ordered it and was mildly surprised that it was quite pale compared to what you might ordinarily see.

2v1qh6o.jpg

So I'm just taking my standard Vienna recipe and cutting the Carafa in half (or about in half).

6h2q2h.png

Omega Bayern on the yeast (run #2).  I suppose it will be slightly less roasty which is fine.  

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:50 AM

I usually don't think of Vienna being roasty.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

Whatever character the Carafa brings, there will be less of it.  I'm looking forward to making this beer.  Looks like it will be Sunday.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

That looks delicious. I too use about 1 to 1.5% carafa III in my Vienna's. Lightening it up will be a nice change. ODDLY ENOUGH, I'm designing something similar. Denny and Drews podcast 54 had enjoying convo on Viennas with this guy had a cool article
https://www.fiveblad...itional-vienna/

I've decided to take a similar approach next Sunday w/ 34/70. 63% Barke Vienna, 36% Weyermann Cologne malt and 1% carafa III. Tett in the front, Hallertau in the back.

Great minds Sunday :)

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

It occurs to me that a Vienna is such a strange beast in today's beer landscape.  It was pretty much non-existent in Europe for a long time, Mexico makes some that are modified for the local climate... still good but different.  And most US breweries/brewpubs wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot mash paddle because they're too busy making barrel-aged-sour-Belgian-stout-double-IPAs-with-lemongrass-and-pelican-ass beers.  :lol:  The Viennas that you do see here may be great and they may whiff mightily.  So if you call it an "Amber Lager", the style seems to widen a little bit and that's where things can get interesting.  Granted, some brewers and beer-drinkers might say that there's nothing interesting about this beer... but not this one.  This is my style of beer and I'm really envisioning it in my glass.    :D

#6 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

Recipe looks solid. Ive done several over ths years similar. 33/33/33% bills and they were all good. Not boring to me but I dont need or want to drink a light golden hazelnut oyster llamaberry goatmilk stout lager either.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:48 AM

It occurs to me that a Vienna is such a strange beast in today's beer landscape.  It was pretty much non-existent in Europe for a long time, Mexico makes some that are modified for the local climate... still good but different.  And most US breweries/brewpubs wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot mash paddle because they're too busy making barrel-aged-sour-Belgian-stout-double-IPAs-with-lemongrass-and-pelican-ass beers:lol:  The Viennas that you do see here may be great and they may whiff mightily.  So if you call it an "Amber Lager", the style seems to widen a little bit and that's where things can get interesting.  Granted, some brewers and beer-drinkers might say that there's nothing interesting about this beer... but not this one.  This is my style of beer and I'm really envisioning it in my glass.    :D

Recipe looks solid. Ive done several over ths years similar. 33/33/33% bills and they were all good. Not boring to me but I dont need or want to drink a light golden hazelnut oyster llamaberry goatmilk stout lager either.

Fellas in both cases above you simply did not get the right amount of pelican ass or llamaberry goatmilk. Shame.

I'll tell you this. A Vienna in all my homespun variations is the beer most made by me in my humble 98 batches to date. I started with Jamil's recipe which I think is a classic and I've tweaked here and there, changed hops etc. It IS also my go-to style that I always like to have on hand and I'm not sure if I'll finalize a recipe for good but I'll always have some iteration on tap.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:54 AM

It's the type of thing where if I'm at a brewpub and I see a Vienna on the menu, it goes right to the top of the list.  I might keep looking at the rest of the options but Vienna is usually #1 at that point.  

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

Welp, I hope you forge ahead with Sunday's batch. Mine will go down next Sunday. Not sure if I'll cut my typical 1 oz Carafa III and 1 oz Midnight wheat or not. That combo makes a nice color that works for me. But it will be predominantly Vienna malt and a little Pils/Cologne

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:14 AM

Welp, I hope you forge ahead with Sunday's batch. Mine will go down next Sunday. 

WHA HAPEEN?!?!

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

Scuba diving with my Son this weekend :)

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:33 AM

Scuba diving with my Son this weekend :)

Oh, that's worth it.

I am going to get this batch 'staged' on Friday and then brew it Sunday.  Going to Wrigley with a big group for Pretenders, Journey, Def Leppard on Saturday.   :frantic:

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

That's awesome. And we meet at Wrigley for Pearl Jam. Do you know if you're going to the 18th or the 20th show?

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

That's awesome. And we meet at Wrigley for Pearl Jam. Do you know if you're going to the 18th or the 20th show?

You know what?  We had to get rid of those tickets because we leave to take our son to Boulder on 8/17 and we won't be back until the 21st.  I'm bummed.  I have not seen PJ yet.  I did see Foo Fighters at Wrigley once and we're going again.  If life were fair I'd see PJ and sell the FF tix.  <_<  Alas, we will not have the chance to meet.   :unsure:

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

Vienna lager is one of my fav styles for sure.

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:46 AM

You know what?  We had to get rid of those tickets because we leave to take our son to Boulder on 8/17 and we won't be back until the 21st.  I'm bummed.  I have not seen PJ yet.  I did see Foo Fighters at Wrigley once and we're going again.  If life were fair I'd see PJ and sell the FF tix.  <_<  Alas, we will not have the chance to meet.   :unsure:

Regardless of that, you won't get to meet me :) Next time for a Cubs game

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

Regardless of that, you won't get to meet me :) Next time for a Cubs game

That's true.  You know, a Cubs game sounds much better at Wrigley than a concert.  Ask me how I know.  :P

Going to be heating water for this pale Vienna here in about an hour.  Beautiful, warm & sunny day here around 82° today.  Cheers.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:00 PM

I mentioned this in another thread.  There is a brewery/bar in Bloomington, IN that makes a beer called Brickyard Vienna.  Of course I ordered it and was mildly surprised that it was quite pale compared to what you might ordinarily see.

just a note on the color - I was also used to seeing the darker colored vienna lagers but this is about the color of von trapp's vienna as well.  I kind of like it.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:13 AM

So Ken, anxious to hear about your Vienna.

I had a total brain fart yesterday. I set out to weigh my grains for next week's Vienna, came up short with Vienna, decided to add Munich and finish it off with the Cologne malt. All on hand. Lost track of my measures and ended up with 15 pounds of grain in my bucket instead of my standard 11. Crap. So from there I added more Cologne to make a 10 gallon batch and here I am at 20 pounds. A stepchild of a beer but I'm certain it will turn out to be a very drinkable Lager. I just don't know what I was thinking during my lost count. Probably thinking about drinking beer.....

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:20 AM

So Ken, anxious to hear about your Vienna.

I had a total brain fart yesterday. I set out to weigh my grains for next week's Vienna, came up short with Vienna, decided to add Munich and finish it off with the Cologne malt. All on hand. Lost track of my measures and ended up with 15 pounds of grain in my bucket instead of my standard 11. Crap. So from there I added more Cologne to make a 10 gallon batch and here I am at 20 pounds. A stepchild of a beer but I'm certain it will turn out to be a very drinkable Lager. I just don't know what I was thinking during my lost count. Probably thinking about drinking beer.....

Did a woman in a bikini jog past your garage?  :lol:  I'm always afraid I'll do that or sometimes I'll be done measuring and think that the amount in the bucket looks short or too much... Mmm, did I measure that out correctly?  :scratch:  I'm sure it will come out fine.  Only problem is being able to duplicate it when you realize how great it is.  :D  Mine is bubbling away like crazy at the moment.  I need to figure out what else to make with the Bayern.  A pilsner of some creation might be next and I'm going to make a Festbier (65% pils, 35% Munich 2, Hallertau at start of the boil to 25-28 IBUs) for the last batch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users