Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A more pale vienna lager coming up this week...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4358 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:39 AM

A Bayern Pilsner would be very nice or the Fest. Can't go wrong either way. My most recent use with this yeast was 50/50 Vienna/Pils and a splash of Caramunich III. I bittered with a smidgeon of Chinook and finished it off with Mt. Hood. I'll keg it this weekend. It has a very faint Chinooky thing going on. Positive it will be very drinkable.

I think I'll dose half of my accidental batch with a 5th and final use of Bayern and the other half with 34/70.

#22 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28948 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:00 AM

I'm thinking a pilsner with the Swaen Pils plus a pound of Vienna and then 4-6 ounces of this Swaen Gold Hell and then Magnum to bitter and maybe 3-4 ounces of Hallertau late in the boil along with the Bayern.  That may be next and then the Festbier will come after that so BOTH will be made.  The question is whether to use the yeast 4 or 5 times.  Maybe the appearance of the yeast will tell me.  

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4358 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:55 AM

The question is whether to use the yeast 4 or 5 times.  Maybe the appearance of the yeast will tell me.

Exactly. While I'd like to make a 5th run, I am a little leery. Smell, taste, see. I can always pitch a single pack of 34/70 into each fermenter. This batch is sub 50. More like 1.046

#24 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28948 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:00 AM

Exactly. While I'd like to make a 5th run, I am a little leery. Smell, taste, see. I can always pitch a single pack of 34/70 into each fermenter. This batch is sub 50. More like 1.046

I'm going to be more careful about letting yeast "sit" for any length of time and then using it.  It's not necessarily the number of times I use it, although that would be a concern at SOME point... it's the idea of leaving it idle and then expecting it to do miracles.  The 34/70 or Diamond are options and I have 2278 tapping its foot in the fridge too.  

#25 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28948 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:45 AM

Probably something like this for the pilsner.  Simple and straightforward...

6gx9ug.png

#26 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13440 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

Probably something like this for the pilsner.  Simple and straightforward...

6gx9ug.png

I like the look of that and I do have a few pounds of Hallertau. 

#27 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28948 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

I like the look of that and I do have a few pounds of Hallertau. 

Yes, you do.  Cheap too.  :P

#28 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28948 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

just a note on the color - I was also used to seeing the darker colored vienna lagers but this is about the color of von trapp's vienna as well.  I kind of like it.

I mentioned elsewhere that I was having issues differentiating between the vienna I make and the dunkel.  The color is similar, the grain bills are sort of in the same zipcode and hop schedules might be identical and I would often use the same yeast for both.  Making the Vienna slightly more pale and maybe a smidge hoppier might help.  The only issue with making the Vienna more pale is that it might start looking like my festbier.  The festbier will be more pale and it's only hopped once so I'm sure it will be okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users