Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A more pale vienna lager coming up this week...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:39 AM

A Bayern Pilsner would be very nice or the Fest. Can't go wrong either way. My most recent use with this yeast was 50/50 Vienna/Pils and a splash of Caramunich III. I bittered with a smidgeon of Chinook and finished it off with Mt. Hood. I'll keg it this weekend. It has a very faint Chinooky thing going on. Positive it will be very drinkable.

I think I'll dose half of my accidental batch with a 5th and final use of Bayern and the other half with 34/70.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:00 AM

I'm thinking a pilsner with the Swaen Pils plus a pound of Vienna and then 4-6 ounces of this Swaen Gold Hell and then Magnum to bitter and maybe 3-4 ounces of Hallertau late in the boil along with the Bayern.  That may be next and then the Festbier will come after that so BOTH will be made.  The question is whether to use the yeast 4 or 5 times.  Maybe the appearance of the yeast will tell me.  

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:55 AM

The question is whether to use the yeast 4 or 5 times.  Maybe the appearance of the yeast will tell me.

Exactly. While I'd like to make a 5th run, I am a little leery. Smell, taste, see. I can always pitch a single pack of 34/70 into each fermenter. This batch is sub 50. More like 1.046

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:00 AM

Exactly. While I'd like to make a 5th run, I am a little leery. Smell, taste, see. I can always pitch a single pack of 34/70 into each fermenter. This batch is sub 50. More like 1.046

I'm going to be more careful about letting yeast "sit" for any length of time and then using it.  It's not necessarily the number of times I use it, although that would be a concern at SOME point... it's the idea of leaving it idle and then expecting it to do miracles.  The 34/70 or Diamond are options and I have 2278 tapping its foot in the fridge too.  

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:45 AM

Probably something like this for the pilsner.  Simple and straightforward...

6gx9ug.png

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

Probably something like this for the pilsner.  Simple and straightforward...

6gx9ug.png

I like the look of that and I do have a few pounds of Hallertau. 

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

I like the look of that and I do have a few pounds of Hallertau. 

Yes, you do.  Cheap too.  :P

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

just a note on the color - I was also used to seeing the darker colored vienna lagers but this is about the color of von trapp's vienna as well.  I kind of like it.

I mentioned elsewhere that I was having issues differentiating between the vienna I make and the dunkel.  The color is similar, the grain bills are sort of in the same zipcode and hop schedules might be identical and I would often use the same yeast for both.  Making the Vienna slightly more pale and maybe a smidge hoppier might help.  The only issue with making the Vienna more pale is that it might start looking like my festbier.  The festbier will be more pale and it's only hopped once so I'm sure it will be okay.

#29 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

Ken, did you ever make the light Vienna Lager as mentioned here?  I couldn't find any text to say you did.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:14 AM

I did.

palevienna1.jpg

The date on my photo shows August 27, 2018.  I think the only changes were that I used half the amount of Carafa (1 ounce instead of 2) and then I may have used 1.25 ounces of Hallertau for the later addition instead of one ounce which would clearly be a very modest change.  The beer was very good... more pale and slightly more hoppy which differentiated between the Vienna and the Dunkel a little bit.  When I see Vienna Lagers in brewpubs (which is not often), they tend to be more in this color range.  

#31 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

Thanks man.  I am taking a lighter approach to the one I hope to spin on Sunday.  Still undecided to use the Staro again.  I didn't get much out of it.  If I did use it I'd prolly ferment at a higher temp.

#32 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

That is a beautiful color too.  Very C40'ish.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

That is a beautiful color too.  Very C40'ish.

It's a pleasing beer, no question.  The color being more pale makes the beer a little more approachable but the darker version is excellent too.  At the risk of repeating myself, I always go for beers that just slide down your throat with a balanced refreshment and it almost always means German styles like Helles, Vienna, Dunkel, Festbier or sometimes something that leans more Mexican or an American style that still fits that description.  Sorry you didn't like the 2782 after all the hype.  I like it.  It didn't hit me quite the same way the second time around but they might be because Omega Bayern has corrupted my taste buds.  :D

#34 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

It's a pleasing beer, no question.  The color being more pale makes the beer a little more approachable but the darker version is excellent too.  At the risk of repeating myself, I always go for beers that just slide down your throat with a balanced refreshment and it almost always means German styles like Helles, Vienna, Dunkel, Festbier or sometimes something that leans more Mexican or an American style that still fits that description.  Sorry you didn't like the 2782 after all the hype.  I like it.  It didn't hit me quite the same way the second time around but they might be because Omega Bayern has corrupted my taste buds.  :D

^^ OMEGA speaks to me.  I'm going in with 50/30/20; Vienna, Pils and Barke Munich with a scant 1-1.5 ounces of Carafa II.  Likely using the 34/70 and S189 combo.

#35 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:21 PM

I'm actually brewing up that Helles that Lefty posted for me a little while back and will be using a repitch of that Bayern yeast to do so. The first beer I did is GREAT, it's making me wonder why it has taken me so long to start on lagers.

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:39 PM

I'm actually brewing up that Helles that Lefty posted for me a little while back and will be using a repitch of that Bayern yeast to do so. The first beer I did is GREAT, it's making me wonder why it has taken me so long to start on lagers.

OMG, JB... be careful.  You'll turn into a lagerhead!  :lol:  That Bayern yeast is probably my favorite lager yeast.  Today.  :P

#37 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:44 PM

Haha! I know, I'll be careful.

I'm genuinely just surprised by how well the beer turned out, even my wife will drink it!

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

I felt the same way after my first lager. I was worried about it after years of brewing and now I love having one on tap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users