50 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54393 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

I haven't had many Alts, but I do see why people would pick them. My concern is that the style is pretty narrow. The nice thing about, say, an IPA or Porter, is that the style has a fairly broad so you can still get some variety within the style. I think I'd get bored with, essentially, the same exact beer all the time.

The Alt category is pretty flexible if you look at all the versions. You have the hoppier Dusseldorf, the milder Northern German Alt, the lighter-colored Münster Alt and the stronger Sticke Alt. You could get a lot of Alt-itude from those subcategories. :P

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

The Alt category is pretty flexible if you look at all the versions. You have the hoppier Dusseldorf, the milder Northern German Alt, the lighter-colored Münster Alt and the stronger Sticke Alt. You could get a lot of Alt-itude from those subcategories. :devil:

My f-alt, Ken. I alt-viously f-alt-ered at alt-tempting to alt-er your alt-itude on Alts. :P

#23 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

Whatever my wife makes. :PWhich is usually whatever is on Ken's recipe list that strikes her fancy. :devil:

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

Whatever my wife makes. :PWhich is usually whatever is on Ken's recipe list that strikes her fancy. :devil:

you don't brew beer scott? mead only?

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54393 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

Whatever my wife makes. :devil:Which is usually whatever is on Ken's recipe list that strikes her fancy. :devil:

Wow, really? Your wife is making my beers? I feel like a just got a little bit taller. :lol: And seriously... you do not brew beer, or it's just that your wife makes beer more than you do? I'm envisioning having a wife that brews beer. Actually, I can't envision it.

My f-alt, Ken. I alt-viously f-alt-ered at alt-tempting to alt-er your alt-itude on Alts. :smilielol:

:lol: Cheers Altman! Wait, if I call you Altman, does that mean I'm calling you "Old Man"? :P

#26 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

you don't brew beer scott? mead only?

I started with mead, then made a couple batches of beer when I realized that mead needs to age for a couple years. :P I've done several all-grain batches, but they were more to have something to drink than because I have a real love for the process. I do love the result though, I just love mead more. If I ever run out of mead, which is unlikely, I'll make some more beer. :devil:

Wow, really? Your wife is making my beers? I feel like a just got a little bit taller. :devil: And seriously... you do not brew beer, or it's just that your wife makes beer more than you do? I'm envisioning having a wife that brews beer. Actually, I can't envision it.

I'm told MLPA is mashing at home right now. It is to be Christmas gifts for my dad, brother, and BIL. Last year they got an Alaska Amber clone that you helped design. :smilielol:She enjoys designing beers and making them, even though she doesn't drink much at all. She's found that your tastes and ours are very similar, so your recipes are usually a starting point.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54393 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

Hooray! Hmm, MLPA as Christmas gifts? That's inspirational. :P

#28 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

Hooray! Hmm, MLPA as Christmas gifts? That's inspirational. :devil:

I have to pick things that FIL likes. Up to now it's been just MGD. We made the Alaskan Amber clone, basically a nice Kolsch, and it really grew on him. BILs really like beer, and thought last year's gift was wonderful. It's nice to have a gift for all three that are hard to buy for that they all appreciate. I didn't want to make the same thing every year, so with all the glowing endorsements of your Memory Lapse, I'm making my first batch. I wish I could drink more, and I hope I'll be able to. Alcohol really aggravates my health problems, so until I get my meds figured out, I'm alcohol free. :P

#29 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

favorite style?guess :P

#30 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

It is ironic that the responses have for the majority been APA / IPA, however BA's top 100 beers https://beeradvocate.com/top_beers is comprised of well over half RIS's. I realize the question is to pick a favorite style, not one particular beer, but it shows that from a quality perspective, the world's best IPAs do not hold rank. Or at least very little.

Edited by Thirsty, 03 November 2009 - 01:22 PM.

#31 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

It is ironic that the responses have for the majority been APA / IPA, however BA's top 100 beers https://beeradvocate.com/top_beers is comprised of well over half RIS's. I realize the question is to pick a favorite style, not one particular beer, but it shows that from a quality perspective, the world's best IPAs do not hold rank. Or at least very little.

Those BA lists are complete BS. It's a bunch of guys trying to show whose e-penis is larger by saying how awesome some "xTreme" beer is. High gravity does not always equal good.

#32 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

Perhaps the difference is that those responding to this thread are largely composed of homebrewers, while those on BA do not always brew their own? We typically tend to brew beers that we drink everyday, so I can understand the lean toward APA/IPA here.

#33 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:04 PM

Perhaps the difference is that those responding to this thread are largely composed of homebrewers, while those on BA do not always brew their own? We typically tend to brew beers that we drink everyday, so I can understand the lean toward APA/IPA here.

we appreciate the art of the brewing more than how much malt the brewer threw in the mash.

#34 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

Those BA lists are complete BS. It's a bunch of guys trying to show whose e-penis is larger by saying how awesome some "xTreme" beer is. High gravity does not always equal good.

As subjective as that list is- do you disagree with any that are on their in rank?

#35 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

As subjective as that list is- do you disagree with any that are on their in rank?

I can't say I've had all of the beers on the list. I've had some and they are indeed great beers. Then again I've also had beers of a regular strength that I like just as much for different reasons. I'm guessing I wouldn't want to drink the majority of those beers on a daily basis though.

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54393 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

Man, when I read "e-penis", I almost lost it. I have never heard of an e-penis. But I will agree that I have shaken my fist at the sky when reading those reviews because I think a lot of it is nonsense. Not to mention that these 2 ideas may not be exactly the same... favorite style is what we're talking about. I also agree that homebrewers see things a little differently than just your normal beer geek... ahem ... beer enthusiast.

#37 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:05 PM

Man, when I read "e-penis", I almost lost it. I have never heard of an e-penis. But I will agree that I have shaken my fist at the sky when reading those reviews because I think a lot of it is nonsense. Not to mention that these 2 ideas may not be exactly the same... favorite style is what we're talking about. I also agree that homebrewers see things a little differently than just your normal beer geek... ahem ... beer enthusiast.

That is def true - those lists aren't compiled with the idea if you had to drink one beer what would it be. I'm honestly not sure what the criteria of those lists is...

#38 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

That is def true - those lists aren't compiled with the idea if you had to drink one beer what would it be. I'm honestly not sure what the criteria of those lists is...

Meh, different strokes ya know. I know I've read them and thought what the heck was that person thinking, but they're just as valid thinking that as I am. I more wanted to get people thinking not about what beer they like but WHY they like it. I do have to admit I've seen a lot of ratings high for beers that I've thought not great, but were high in ABV so got high scores. That's like my sister and BIL, they go to a pub and get the highest ABV they have regardless of style.

#39 beerbaron

beerbaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

doggie

#40 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium