50 replies to this topic

#1 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

Bored at work and got to thinking about what I would say is my favorite style, settled on Northern German alt and thought what about it makes it my favorite. I think originally it was the fact that it was a style that is very limited as far as distribution. I was really excited to try something I had never seen before, which I think added to the initial experience. I brewed several batches and kind of tweaked it into something that may be a little out of style, but suits my tastes so well. Malty and clean, with enough bitterness to keep it balanced well, slightly to bitter which is what my palate likes. The style is everything I look for in a beer with nothing extra or over the top. Picking a second place is actually harder than my favorite.What about you? What's your go to, favorite style?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

For everyday drinking - APA.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

I like that one that has the barley and the hops and the yeast in it. Yeah, that one.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54393 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

I love almost anything German: Kölsch, Alt, Oktober, Marzen, Bock, Helles, German Pils, etc. They are well balanced, refreshing and clean. I also enjoy English ales like bitters, English Pale Ales and Northern Browns. Again, they use clean-tasting hops like EKG, Kent, Challenger, Styrian Goldings, etc. Their yeast is bready & crackery which makes for a delicious beer. I've mentioned many times that I haven't met a liquid English ale yeast that I haven't liked. Of course, I also like APAs, Ambers, Red Ales and Lagers and Blondes so maybe it would've been easier for me to just state which styles I don't care for! :cheers: Cheers.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

I love almost anything German: Kölsch, Alt, Oktober, Marzen, Bock, Helles, German Pils, etc. They are well balanced, refreshing and clean. I also enjoy English ales like bitters, English Pale Ales and Northern Browns. Again, they use clean-tasting hops like EKG, Kent, Challenger, Styrian Goldings, etc. Their yeast is bready & crackery which makes for a delicious beer. I've mentioned many times that I haven't met a liquid English ale yeast that I haven't liked. Of course, I also like APAs, Ambers, Red Ales and Lagers and Blondes so maybe it would've been easier for me to just state which styles I don't care for! :rolf: Cheers.

cheater! you can't pick them all! :cheers:

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10755 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

I love Porters. I think the main reason is the range of beers available in that style. Robust porters, oak aged, smoked grains etc. They can be an easy drinking beer to go in a number of extreme directions.

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

I love Porters. I think the main reason is the range of beers available in that style. Robust porters, oak aged, smoked grains etc. They can be an easy drinking beer to go in a number of extreme directions.

With your username? Come on man- I thought it was gonna be the BWs! :cheers: Mine is Belgian blond. It has all the character of a HG Belgian, but is an everyday drinker. It is my go to session beer. I enjoy Leffe, but my own recipe is cat's ass. I am drinking one now.A close second is APA / IPA. SN, Lagunitas, ice cold and quenching. I do like em cold. I save the warmer temps for their Impy sisters

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54393 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

cheater! you can't pick them all! :cheers:

Okay, you're right. That's not fair. If I had to pick just one style, I'd probably go with Oktoberfest Lager. I just love the malty character, balanced with the right amount of German noble hops and a good lager yeast like 2124, 2206, 2633, 2308, etc. The style has a bit of wiggle room and homebrewers veer off a little bit by adding their own touch. You can add more hops, make it a little lighter or darker, etc. One of my all-time favorite styles and oh-so-satisfying to drink any time of year. Cheers.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

Okay, you're right. That's not fair. If I had to pick just one style, I'd probably go with Oktoberfest Lager. I just love the malty character, balanced with the right amount of German noble hops and a good lager yeast like 2124, 2206, 2633, 2308, etc. The style has a bit of wiggle room and homebrewers veer off a little bit by adding their own touch. You can add more hops, make it a little lighter or darker, etc. One of my all-time favorite styles and oh-so-satisfying to drink any time of year. Cheers.

well played - one of my favorites as well :cheers:

#10 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

While I appreciate most styles (there's a time and place for just about every beer), at least 75% of what I brew is a derivative of the pale ale family... APAs, IPAs, English Bitters, and Barleywines. If I have to choose a single style, then it would have be IPA.

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

While I love many styles of beer and do appreciate each style for what its worth and represents. My favorites are Porter, Stout, APA, IPA, Alt, Kolsch, Ofest. But even with all that said my favorite favorite beer style is IPA. I love bitterness in a beer, I love hops and am a hophead through and through. While I appreciate and enjoy the bitterness that hops bring I love the flavors that hops can contribute as well, piney, citrus and so on. I always come back to IPA time and time again, in beer purchases and beer brewed as well. Here's to your favorite styles all :cheers:

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

While I love many styles of beer and do appreciate each style for what its worth and represents. My favorites are Porter, Stout, APA, IPA, Alt, Kolsch, Ofest. But even with all that said my favorite favorite beer style is IPA. I love bitterness in a beer, I love hops and am a hophead through and through. While I appreciate and enjoy the bitterness that hops bring I love the flavors that hops can contribute as well, piney, citrus and so on. I always come back to IPA time and time again, in beer purchases and beer brewed as well. Here's to your favorite styles all :cheers:

I LOVE hoppy beers but sometimes I just want a break. One of the reasons I like APAs is I think they can get pretty much as hoppy as an IPA but they can also be more subdued like Ken's MLPA. They are simple and refreshing at any rate though.

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:32 PM

I LOVE hoppy beers but sometimes I just want a break. One of the reasons I like APAs is I think they can get pretty much as hoppy as an IPA but they can also be more subdued like Ken's MLPA. They are simple and refreshing at any rate though.

I totally agree Zym. I brewed a simple APA a month ago, 2 Row, Victory and Vienna, Cascade Hops and US-05. 5.7% and I am enjoying the citrusy flavor of the hops. Sipping on it now as well. I agree I love APA just as much too. MLPA is great too, brewed it back in May and it turned out awesome.

#14 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

Pale Ale.Because it is (for better or worse) my definition of beer in my mind.Doesn't have to be SNPA, but I love pale ale.MolBasser

#15 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

I would say my favorite style is the "extreme beer." I love finding something new and crazy and just sitting down with it, and a couple of friends. In this "category" of beer I include beers similar to: Stone's Arogant Bastard and RIS, Dogfish 120, Arcadia hopmouth and cereal killer etc. I guess it's kind of cheating since this category is so broad, but those are truely my favorite types to drink.That said, my favorite real style changes too often to pin it down. Right now I'm on a chech pils and Ordinary bitter craze, but who knows what will be next?

#16 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

I would easily commit to IPA as my fav style, Reg-Rye-Double.I do love my pales , and make a lot of porters,browns, and stouts. Wheat beers i made a few.So IPA if i could only drink one style.

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

If I had to commit to only drink one style for the rest of my life, it would be IPA, hands down.

#18 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

Dusseldorf AltbierRunners up:APA/IPA/RyePADubbelRobust PorterAmerican Brown

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

I haven't had many Alts, but I do see why people would pick them. My concern is that the style is pretty narrow. The nice thing about, say, an IPA or Porter, is that the style has a fairly broad so you can still get some variety within the style. I think I'd get bored with, essentially, the same exact beer all the time.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:58 AM

I haven't had many Alts, but I do see why people would pick them. My concern is that the style is pretty narrow. The nice thing about, say, an IPA or Porter, is that the style has a fairly broad so you can still get some variety within the style. I think I'd get bored with, essentially, the same exact beer all the time.

indeed - that's why I picked APA as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users