#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

WLP200 (Best of Both Worlds) was a mix of WLP001 (Chico) and WLP002 ( English Ale) . I really like how the blend works for me starting at about 66-67. I did buy WLP200 back in the day but can not for the life of me remember what the beer was like.

I really liked the one beer I've made with the dry yeast mix so far. Better than either by itself in my opinion.

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

I really liked the one beer I've made with the dry yeast mix so far. Better than either by itself in my opinion.

I'd be curious to know if you get the same characteristics if you try it again.  Generally, co-pitching yeast is a crapshoot.

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:05 AM

I'd be curious to know if you get the same characteristics if you try it again.  Generally, co-pitching yeast is a crapshoot.

Seeing I am the one that mentioned co-pitching and I have done it on about 6-8 beer recently I will answer that yes, I get the same characteristics. 

#24 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

Seeing I am the one that mentioned co-pitching and I have done it on about 6-8 beer recently I will answer that yes, I get the same characteristics. 

That's great to hear.  You seem to be an anomaly, but in a GOOD way!

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:35 AM

I'd be curious to know if you get the same characteristics if you try it again. Generally, co-pitching yeast is a crapshoot.

I've got two more so I'll have to let you know what I experience.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:37 AM

That's great to hear.  You seem to be an anomaly, but in a GOOD way!

I have heard that before :smilielol:

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

That's great to hear. You seem to be an anomaly, but in a GOOD way!

Maybe the dry yeast tends to be more repeatable. Not sure if you are thinking of liquid yeast blends or not.

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

Maybe the dry yeast tends to be more repeatable. Not sure if you are thinking of liquid yeast blends or not.

I've tried both with inconsistent results, and that;'s what others have told me their experience was, also.

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:29 AM

I've tried both with inconsistent results, and that;'s what others have told me their experience was, also.

what was the inconsistency?  which yeast flavor profile dominates?  I would think that would be the major difference.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

FYI:  I placed an order on Amazon for some wheat, Saaz pellets, DME, 34/70 and the Diamond Lager yeast.  I have enough liquid lager yeast around so both of these (plus some S-189 that I have) will all be backup/plan-B yeasts.

#31 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:00 AM

what was the inconsistency?  which yeast flavor profile dominates?  I would think that would be the major difference.

yep, there's no way to guarantee which will dominate

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:11 AM

yep, there's no way to guarantee which will dominate

I can live with that with the S-04 and US-05 mix.  it seems like you are more likely to hit the attenuation of US-05 regardless of the flavor profile so I'd take it as a win.  there are other combos where I might want to be more sure of which yeast will dominate the flavor profile.

#33 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

Got a pack of this in the mail today. Anyone want to do a collaboration brew with this stuff? Not necessarily to ship but to compare flavor notes on the same recipe.

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:15 AM

Got a pack of this in the mail today. Anyone want to do a collaboration brew with this stuff? Not necessarily to ship but to compare flavor notes on the same recipe.

I have some (along with my first packet of 34/70) but I have Bayern running now and 2278 coming up so I plan to keep these as "spur-of-the-moment" yeast strains.  I will post when I go to use them and maybe the timing will work.  I don't remember where it was discussed but it sounds like 34/70 and Lallemand Diamond are both derived from 2124.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:31 AM

OT- how do you like 2278?last night I made a starter to try and build up a packet for a pale lager this weekend.

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:35 AM

OT- how do you like 2278?last night I made a starter to try and build up a packet for a pale lager this weekend.

2278 is really nice.  I started getting into 2000 and 2001 (Budvar and Pilsner Urquell) and I liked both and then Wyeast released that 2782 Staro which was really, really nice so I got away from 2278 for a bit.  It flocs like a mofo so you're going to get a nice, clear beer from it.  The Czech character is very nice and I feel like it creates a 'crisp' beer where Budvar and PU both created maltier beer.  Not sure how yeast impacts maltiness and you would think a high floccer might be a low attenuater which might create malty beers but what do I know.  Please post back after you've tried a beer with it.  I plan to make a pale lager with Saaz hops and then maybe a hoppy amber lager.

#37 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

I have some (along with my first packet of 34/70) but I have Bayern running now and 2278 coming up so I plan to keep these as "spur-of-the-moment" yeast strains. I will post when I go to use them and maybe the timing will work. I don't remember where it was discussed but it sounds like 34/70 and Lallemand Diamond are both derived from 2124.

Let me know. Im running S189 right now and plan a few more brews with it. Ill start running Diamond when you do.

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

Let me know. Im running S189 right now and plan a few more brews with it. Ill start running Diamond when you do.

It will be fun to compare notes on it. I'll keep you posted. Cheers.

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

Has anyone brewed with this yeast? I was just downstairs in the beer bunker and looked into my stash of yeast. 34/70, S-189, some liquid yeast that is probably getting to the point of being tossed out and... Lallemand Diamond dry lager yeast. I originally had NO PLANS to brew this weekend but I find out that my wife is off to have lunch with one of her friends and then meeting a woman she works with for dinner so I'm rubbing my chin about making something with this yeast. After some Googling I see that there still isn't much info about it.

#40 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:26 AM

Has anyone brewed with this yeast? I was just downstairs in the beer bunker and looked into my stash of yeast. 34/70, S-189, some liquid yeast that is probably getting to the point of being tossed out and... Lallemand Diamond dry lager yeast. I originally had NO PLANS to brew this weekend but I find out that my wife is off to have lunch with one of her friends and then meeting a woman she works with for dinner so I'm rubbing my chin about making something with this yeast. After some Googling I see that there still isn't much info about it.

Sounds like you're the BFBT point man on this one.

A look at their website says you can brew pretty much any German lager style with it.

I'd say the sky's the limit; what ingredients do you have on hand, and what do you feel like making?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users