#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

I may have to try this one. It's not new but is newly available in 11g sachets. Hope it's better than MJ M-76

Diamond Lager yeast is a true lager strain originating in Germany. Chosen for its robust character, Diamond Lager yeast delivers excellent fermentation performance, and has the ability to  produce clean, authentic lagers. Traditional styles brewed with the Diamond include but are not  limited to Munich Helles, Dortmunder Export, German Pilsner, Bohemian Pilsner, American Pilsner,  Vienna Lager, Oktoberfest/Märzen, Dark American Lager, Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Traditional Bock, Doppelbock, Eisbock and California Common. In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort at 12°C (53.6°F) Diamond yeast exhibits:
Vigorous fermentation that can be completed in 5 days
High attenuation and High flocculation
Neutral Flavor and Aroma, typical of traditional Lagers
The optimal temperature range for Diamond yeast when producing traditional styles is
10°C(50°F) to 15°C(59°F)
Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation are dependent on
inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of
the wort.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

I remember hearing about it awhile back but I never checked it out.  It's available on Amazon... HERE.  Next time I order something I should throw a packet of Diamond on the order.  Thanks for the reminder.  

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:09 AM

I saw it on AIH for $5. They have free shipping >$49 right now. I'm adding to the cart.

Label Peelers has it for $4.19. I wish Ritebrew had it as they don't gig you on shipping small items like this.

Edited by Steve Urquell, 11 June 2018 - 11:16 AM.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

I saw it on AIH for $5. They have free shipping >$49 right now. I'm adding to the cart.

Label Peelers has it for $4.19. I wish Ritebrew had it as they don't gig you on shipping small items like this.

Label Peelers has me spoiled in many ways.  Maybe I'll order it from them the next time I have an order.  Post an update if you use it.  Seems like a good backup yeast to have (like an S-189) just in case... but of course I said that about M76 too.  <_<

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

Label Peelers has me spoiled in many ways.  Maybe I'll order it from them the next time I have an order.  Post an update if you use it.  Seems like a good backup yeast to have (like an S-189) just in case... but of course I said that about M76 too.  <_<

Yeah, I'm gonna need to order grain soon. I'll wait and order a sack from LP and toss in the yeast. That M-76 debacle really sucked. I really want a good dry German lager yeast.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, I'm gonna need to order grain soon. I'll wait and order a sack from LP and toss in the yeast. That M-76 debacle really sucked. I really want a good dry German lager yeast.

I always like to know what it's the dry equivalent of... any chance that we would find out?  I remember emailing MJ's to ask about M76 and I got a bunch of nonsense about how it's a great yeast for [these styles...] and when I specifically asked about what the liquid strain was (if any), they said they couldn't tell me.  :huh:

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

I found some posts on HBT in 2006 about white labs distrubiting this yeast. Found this:

http://www.yeastbank...iamondyeast.htm

White Labs Inc. is working with Lallemand to distribute Diamond Lager Yeast. This is the first time White Labs has sold dried yeast.

The yeast originated in Germany and is used by many commercial breweries to produce different kinds of lager. No colors, preservatives or other nonnatural substances have been used in its preparation. The yeast has been used with great success at commercial breweries in Germany and North America.

White Labs has decided to distribute this yeast because it provides an innovative, flexible product for brewers. It is more economical to ship, has a long life span, and has the highest purity level of any dry strain that White Labs has reviewed. Also, it can be pitched cold.

This is the second Lallemand product that White Labs distributes, with the other being Servomyces.

And this:

http://barleypopmake...he-stereotypes/

Diamond Lager Yeast

This is the only lager yeast offering from Lallemand, but it’s fairly versatile and you should be able to produce quality lagers of just about any style with this. Granted, there is not the versatility you get with liquid cultures, but generally speaking you do want lagers to be fairly clean and leave most of the malt and hops to speak for themselves. This lager yeast has a high attenuation factor and has moderate flocculation capabilities. The optimum range is 50°-59°F (10°-15°C) and the sweet spot is 53°F (12°C). A high pitch rate is vital to producing a good lager with Diamond Lager yeast. But with a good solid pitch rate, good temperature control, and good aeration you should be able to produce just about any lager you need to fairly successfully. From my personal experience, it seems to be a fairly high producer of sulfur, so a decent lagering time of at least a few weeks will help give time to drive that off.

Edited by Steve Urquell, 11 June 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

I sent an email over to Lallemand asking for the source or liquid equivalent.  Not sure if they'll answer but it costs nothing to ask.  Thanks for that from White Labs... interesting.  

#9 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

I sent an email over to Lallemand asking for the source or liquid equivalent.  Not sure if they'll answer but it costs nothing to ask.  Thanks for that from White Labs... interesting.  

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding Diamond® lager yeast. Here at Lallemand®, we demand the finest products and can assure you that our product will meet your highest expectations."

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding Diamond® lager yeast. Here at Lallemand®, we demand the finest products and can assure you that our product will meet your highest expectations."

Probably.  <_<

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

AFAIK, it's Weihenstephan (or however you spell it!) just like 34/70.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:21 PM

I got a response from Sylvie, a PhD. from Lallemand:

Hello Ken,

Diamond lager Yeast is a typical German lager strain, it produces clean crisp beer. We won’t speak for strains that do not belong to us but please see attached more information on Diamond if that is useful.

Best regards

Sylvie

So it really doesn't tell you much.  Is it 830, 2308, 2206, 2124, 2633, 838, 820, 833... we don't know.  The only way to find out is to brew with it.  I have a list of things to pick up and I may order from Amazon (wheat, the yeast, Saaz hops, etc).  Also, the attached was the same PDF that they have on their website.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

You should try 34/70 sometime.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

You should try 34/70 sometime.

Agree!

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

If it's truly 2124 in dry form that would be great.  I'm surprised I haven't picked it up yet.  S-189 has been my go-to dry and it's fine but if 34/70 is 2124, that would be better.  How are you guys using it for a 5-gallon batch?  One packet?  Hydrated?  Sprinkled?

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:47 PM

If it's truly 2124 in dry form that would be great.  I'm surprised I haven't picked it up yet.  S-189 has been my go-to dry and it's fine but if 34/70 is 2124, that would be better.  How are you guys using it for a 5-gallon batch?  One packet?  Hydrated?  Sprinkled?

34/70 is 2124.  I use 2 packs not rehydrated to 5.5 gal.  It's also become my standard dry ale yeast, too.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

I use 2 packs not rehydrated to 5.5 gal.

This is what I do. Although I have used just one packet for 5.5 gal of ~1.048 wort a couple of times and it worked just as well.... slower to start though.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:28 AM

It's also become my standard dry ale yeast, too.

This is something I really need to try.  I still really like S-09 ( Co-pitch of S-05 and S-04) for my New England inspired beers but want to give 34/70 a try for when I am trying to go more west coast.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:36 AM

This is something I really need to try.  I still really like S-09 ( Co-pitch of S-05 and S-04) for my New England inspired beers but want to give 34/70 a try for when I am trying to go more west coast.

Didn't White Labs release an ale yeast that was 50% american ale and 50% british?  I know we talked about this but you're not the first person to like the idea of a mixture of American & British yeast character.  

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:51 AM

Didn't White Labs release an ale yeast that was 50% american ale and 50% british?  I know we talked about this but you're not the first person to like the idea of a mixture of American & British yeast character.  

WLP200 (Best of Both Worlds) was a mix of WLP001 (Chico) and WLP002 ( English Ale) . I really like how the blend works for me starting at about 66-67.   I did buy WLP200 back in the day but can not for the life of me remember what the beer was like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users