#21 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

Hopefully your neighbor will help you get more stiff. :cheers:How big are his grape vines? I've been thinking of growing some grapes, but have no clue how long they take to mature or anything like that.

Uhm... I don't think I want JIM'S help on that!!! ha ha ha But I like where your train of thought was going. He knows I brew my own beer and that I have one viable hop plant right now (the only surviving from last year) and that I have 4 more rhizomes to plant. I'm sure he'll be cool with it.As for the grapes, the vines are in their 3rd season now. Much like hops, they spend most of their energy the first year growing, with little fruit. What "traveled through and/or over the boards to my side were left intact. Jim said he wouldn't cut them back and I could have what grew on my side. Makes a boring fence look interesting on both sides. More grapes last year and this year I can already see the formation of a dozen or more "bunches" on the vines on my side of the fence. So... it takes a couple of years to get it going, but once it does it's pretty cool. Hops and grapes aren't all that different in how they mature. When my hops starts to climb nice and good, I'll take a picture with the grape vine in view.

#22 Hooperjetcar

Hooperjetcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBAMA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

That is similar to what I had in mind. I was going to use two saddle clamps to attach a piece of steel pipe to the lower main support and deck rail up top. Then use some large diameter hose clamps to attach a pole similiar to the one you have and run some wire down to stakes in the ground.

#23 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

The more that I consider it, I like the idea of having the deck surrounded in bines.Maybe even a hop privacy screen? :cheers:

I don't think I'd recommend that. Hop bines aren't exactly the prettiest things in the world. They're also pretty coarse and scratchy. Plus, they die off every year so you'd have to be out there every fall stripping dead bines off the deck boards.I made my flag pole out of black iron plumbing pipe. 1 1/2" I think. Two long ones and a union only cost about twenty bucks. You could make brackets at the top and bottom of the stairs to slide this pipe into during growing season and still take it down in winter.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

I don't think I'd recommend that. Hop bines aren't exactly the prettiest things in the world. They're also pretty coarse and scratchy. Plus, they die off every year so you'd have to be out there every fall stripping dead bines off the deck boards.I made my flag pole out of black iron plumbing pipe. 1 1/2" I think. Two long ones and a union only cost about twenty bucks. You could make brackets at the top and bottom of the stairs to slide this pipe into during growing season and still take it down in winter.

I don't find them that unattractive from the pictures I've seen. Thanks for the tip on the iron pipe. Sounds like a good idea should I ever want to make a tee-pee style hop setup.

#25 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

I don't find them that unattractive from the pictures I've seen. Thanks for the tip on the iron pipe. Sounds like a good idea should I ever want to make a tee-pee style hop setup.

I meant it was more unattractive from a tactile standpoint. They're not the most "soft, friendly" plants.

#26 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28456 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

I'd use clamps against the side of the wood rather than drilling down your center post. Over time that hole is going to cause your post to rot out.

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

I'd use clamps against the side of the wood rather than drilling down your center post. Over time that hole is going to cause your post to rot out.

What kind of clamps would you recommend? I could also get some pressure treated wood and and affix that to the railing and put a hole in this. That way nothing of structural importance get's damaged.

#28 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28456 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:48 AM

What kind of clamps would you recommend? I could also get some pressure treated wood and and affix that to the railing and put a hole in this. That way nothing of structural importance get's damaged.

Hooperjetcar mentioned saddle clamps and I think something along those lines would be decent. A piece of wood like you are talking on the side would likely be fine too. Mainly avoid vertical blinded off hole in one of your structural posts that is just going to fill with moisture, over time it could rot from the inside. Would be a shame to do damage to a nice deck when it can be avoided.

#29 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hooperjetcar mentioned saddle clamps and I think something along those lines would be decent. A piece of wood like you are talking on the side would likely be fine too. Mainly avoid vertical blinded off hole in one of your structural posts that is just going to fill with moisture, over time it could rot from the inside. Would be a shame to do damage to a nice deck when it can be avoided.

Yes - some heavy duty saddle clamps look like they would fit the bill...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users