28 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:03 AM

So here it is - I have one of those metal poles that you could hang a plant from. I plan on drilling a hole into the railing of my deck and inserting it. I'll use the extra leg part to secure it to the railing to keep it from moving too much. Thoughts?[mod edit - image removed]

#2 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:43 AM

Depending on the strength of the pole, you may need to run a guy line anchored to the railing back by the house. Or if that creates a restriction to the staircase, run it to the roof line.The 1st year it should work. Following years the canopy of the vines may overload it.Nice idea.

#3 robert41

robert41

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Locationnj

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

are you planning on having multiple varieties or just one. more than one variety might get confusing towards the top in future years.also, i have very minimal experience growing hops but i believe the shoots grow out horizontally. I see you have your nice stone ring setup above grade. if the rhizome(s) is planted a few inches below soil i could see the shoots eventually meeting up with that stone wall, any thoughts about this?

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

Depending on the strength of the pole, you may need to run a guy line anchored to the railing back by the house. Or if that creates a restriction to the staircase, run it to the roof line.The 1st year it should work. Following years the canopy of the vines may overload it.Nice idea.

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I can get the pole to bend with about 30lbs of force.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

are you planning on having multiple varieties or just one. more than one variety might get confusing towards the top in future years.also, i have very minimal experience growing hops but i believe the shoots grow out horizontally. I see you have your nice stone ring setup above grade. if the rhizome(s) is planted a few inches below soil i could see the shoots eventually meeting up with that stone wall, any thoughts about this?

They will both be cascades in that location. I have no idea what will happen when they try to spread :devil:

#6 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

They will both be cascades in that location. I have no idea what will happen when they try to spread :devil:

hops typically have pretty shallow roots, so I think the pile of stones that you have as a border (which looks to be about 1ft high from the pic) will help keep the spreading to a minimum.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:26 AM

hops typically have pretty shallow roots, so I think the pile of stones that you have as a border (which looks to be about 1ft high from the pic) will help keep the spreading to a minimum.

Good to know...I'm definitely reconsidering my plans here. I'm not sure what my other options are. I could possibly build a frame out of pressure treated wood that I could hook to the top of that railing. The thing I liked about the metal rod idea is that it I could take it out when I'm not growing hops. Any bright ideas out there? I good enough word working skills I think...

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

Okay - here is design 2.0.The difference is that I plan to put some eye hooks into the railing so I can wrap the rope through them a few times before going up to the top. This will serve to distribute most of the weight of the plants to the eye hooks and not on the pole. Any structural engineers (or if you play one on tv) want to chime in here?[mod edit - image removed]

#9 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

don't know if you saw this article in BYO but their adjustable trellis mentioned in the article might be a K.I.S.S. solution that you could consider for this small hop bed.

#10 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

What if you train the 2 on the right to grow up along the step railling?Just a thought.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

What if you train the 2 on the right to grow up along the step railling?Just a thought.

That's a good plan B thought. I'd like to keep these growing on rope though so I don't need to work with them too much but if it came down to it I'll do what it takes!

#12 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

That's a good plan B thought. I'd like to keep these growing on rope though so I don't need to work with them too much but if it came down to it I'll do what it takes!

The more that I consider it, I like the idea of having the deck surrounded in bines.Maybe even a hop privacy screen? :devil:

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

You're going to need a bigger pole!

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

Taller or thicker?(that's what she said)

#15 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

Taller or thicker?

Actually, she probably said both.But I just put up a trellis (yes, I hafta post pictures)that is 17 feet off of my deck. Which is 5' above ground for a total bine length of 22'IronKite and I are betting is isn't enough for my 4th year Cascades.OTOH, if you have wimp hops like my Hallertau, it will be more than sufficient.So whatcha' growin' ?

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

Actually, she probably said both.But I just put up a trellis (yes, I hafta post pictures)that is 17 feet off of my deck. Which is 5' above ground for a total bine length of 22'IronKite and I are betting is isn't enough for my 4th year Cascades.OTOH, if you have wimp hops like my Hallertau, it will be more than sufficient.So whatcha' growin' ?

Cascades :devil:I'd guess when all is said and done with this design I'll have about 18' of elevation. Email me some pics and I'll host em for you if you want - just send me a PM and I'll send you my e-mail.

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

Cascades :devil:

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Maybe next year :devil:I don't know what I could use to make it taller. It kind of makes me wonder - how do you guys with the crazy high hop poles get them home? Those things wouldn't fit on a pickup truck even...

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

Hey, that concept looks pretty good. I think I'm going to do something similar along a fence to elevate it higher than the 6 foot privacy fence, but now am realizing I need something that will be a bit more "stiff"... {huh huh... he said "stiff"}. I should probably check with my neighbor so see if he will be cool with it... but hell, his grapes are growning through the fence on my side (which I get to keep) so I don't think it will be an issue.

#20 DrunkenPanther

DrunkenPanther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

Hey, that concept looks pretty good. I think I'm going to do something similar along a fence to elevate it higher than the 6 foot privacy fence, but now am realizing I need something that will be a bit more "stiff"... {huh huh... he said "stiff"}. I should probably check with my neighbor so see if he will be cool with it... but hell, his grapes are growning through the fence on my side (which I get to keep) so I don't think it will be an issue.

Hopefully your neighbor will help you get more stiff. :cheers:How big are his grape vines? I've been thinking of growing some grapes, but have no clue how long they take to mature or anything like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users