51 replies to this topic

#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

I like to get a little more out of those hops as I chill so I would leave it in there.  If you want to remove it, try it and see what happens for your beer.

#42 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

I would leave it in there.  I do not think disturbing it is a good idea.

Truthfully I do not use many whole hops in the boil but when I do I have a SS screen that slips over my dip tube and that helps with filtering them out, at least enough for my system.

Yeah, I seldom use whole hops any more, either.  But I recently got some core samples from YCH and they're so good I can't not use them!

#43 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

I started using my strainer again. I think it knocks down the perceived bitterness by 10 to 15 %. Also knocks down on trub for the chillers.

#44 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

I started using my strainer again. I think it knocks down the perceived bitterness by 10 to 15 %. Also knocks down on trub for the chillers44.

How about splitting a batch, doing half each way, and getting it analyzed?

#45 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

How about splitting a batch, doing half each way, and getting it analyzed?

Nah, too big a PITA doin 1bbl. having 2 bbl of the same beer sucks when it's just a few people drinking it, even worse if the one without the strainer is too bitter and sucks which has happened.

#46 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53813 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:48 PM

My strainer thing arrived today. It's bigger than I thought (TWSS) and I'm going to just wing it tomorrow on my batch. It's a Mexican gold lager with a bittering addition and an ounce of Hallertau with 5 minutes left in the boil. I'll try to determine if the bitterness seems low on it but my guess is that it will be just fine. I'll be interested to see if it cuts down on schputz in the BK. I'm going to place this thing into the BK and toss the pellets in there and observe. Cheers Beerheads.

#47 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

My strainer thing arrived today. It's bigger than I thought (TWSS) and I'm going to just wing it tomorrow on my batch. It's a Mexican gold lager with a bittering addition and an ounce of Hallertau with 5 minutes left in the boil. I'll try to determine if the bitterness seems low on it but my guess is that it will be just fine. I'll be interested to see if it cuts down on schputz in the BK. I'm going to place this thing into the BK and toss the pellets in there and observe. Cheers Beerheads.

If you can I would rig something to hold it over the BK while it drains.  Holding it over the kettle is no fun as I remember.  Maybe it will work better for you with a coarser mesh and less hops.  Hope so.

#48 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53813 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

If you can I would rig something to hold it over the BK while it drains.  Holding it over the kettle is no fun as I remember.  Maybe it will work better for you with a coarser mesh and less hops.  Hope so.

I've been thinking about that. I may use a sanitized SS spoon to scape out some of the schputz or at least clear a path to drain wort. This thing holds a gallon of wort so I will want it to drain. I will do that at the end of the boil and then chill once this thing is empty. Then I'll probably hit it with the hose attachment on the JET setting to try to get it clean.

#49 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16584 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

Make sure to clean it ahead of time. I am remembering your incident with the new stainless chiller.

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:34 PM

Make sure to clean it ahead of time. I am remembering your incident with the new stainless chiller.

Very good point!

#51 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53813 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

Yeah, I'm about to clean the mash bag and the strainer. Don't want any issues today! Cheers.

#52 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53813 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

On the topic of utilization, I won't know how this thing impacted the batch but this was a "Mexican gold lager" with about 20 IBUs of Magnum for 30 (.52 ounces @ 12.8%) and then an ounce of Hallertau for 5 minutes. The primary is rocking hard right now and I just took a hit of the aroma and it smells completely normal and the late hallertau seem to be doing exactly what I would expect which is good news. I'll know more later but this thing was easy to use, it drained easily at the end of the boil (I realize it was only 1.5 ounces of hops) and it cleaned up easily too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users