51 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

Drez, when you transfer from BK to fermenter, are you using a port on your BK? If so, are you finding that the flowrate is directly related to how much trub you end up with in the primary? I'm just using an old-school racking cane & tubing and it's been mentioned that maybe my flowrate is strong enough to attract the trub and maybe I need one of those little plastic restrictors on the tubing so I can slow down the flow. That, plus this idea (from some brewers) that rehydrated irish moss works better than whirfloc to drop hop and break material in the BK (and also makes the trub layer more compact) may be enough for me to get more clear wort into the fermenter.

I pump so I can regulate the flow rate. With that said, trub has no impact on that rate.

#22 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

I use a larger version.  I've had good luck with it.  my beers seem to be plenty bitter.  a 70% IBU hit doesn't sound right.  even a 30% IBU hit doesn't sound right.    I wouldn't use it if I didn't need to but if I don't do something the pellet hops clog my pick up tube.

10 gallon batches.  I would have to look it up but 8 - 12 oz  were probably going in.  The more I added to compensate the less flow through the screen.  

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

I pump so I can regulate the flow rate. With that said, trub has no impact on that rate.

If you transfer slower would you be less likely to get trub into your transfer? Maybe I'm not envisioning your transfer process properly. For me, it's the BK in the sink with the fermenter on the floor and a 1/4" SS racking cane & tubing transferring the wort to the fermenter below. It's been suggested that my flowrate may be high enough to draw the trub to the transfer and that a slower rate might help keep the trub where it is.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

There was talk of using a BIAB-style bag in the MT (even if you're not a BIAB brewer) to help keep more stuff out of the BK. I never considered something like this but it could be a preventative measure in cutting down on schputz in the BK early in the process. I'm looking into that idea for an early measure and then maybe the rehydrated IM + the concept of lowering the flowrate of the transfer from BK to primary to keep the trub clump away from the transfer. Anyone else using a BIAB-style bag in their mash vessel?

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

There was talk of using a BIAB-style bag in the MT (even if you're not a BIAB brewer) to help keep more stuff out of the BK. I never considered something like this but it could be a preventative measure in cutting down on schputz in the BK early in the process. I'm looking into that idea for an early measure and then maybe the rehydrated IM + the concept of lowering the flowrate of the transfer from BK to primary to keep the trub clump away from the transfer. Anyone else using a BIAB-style bag in their mash vessel?

Yes, with a false bottom too. I no spage but have two vessels.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

Yes, with a false bottom too. I no spage but have two vessels.

I ordered one of these bags for a cylinder-shaped MT. I'm wondering if I am allowing too much schputz into the BK when I runoff and that is creating more break material at the end of the process when I transfer to the fermenter. I say this because last time I brewed with only 1.5 ounces of hops but there was SO much trub at the bottom of my BK. One reason may have been that I made a larger batch size (more grain) and allowed more schputz into the BK. If this bag helps me filter out more of that I may see less solid material in the BK at the end of the process. Fingers crossed.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:31 AM

I just stumbled onto THIS THING. Can I assume that this device would suffer the same fate as the other one mentioned (poor utilization)? This thing is quite big and looks like it would hold a good amount of hop schputz. Also, since I'm not a devoted hop-head, would this type of device work better for someone who makes beers in the 20-30 IBU range? Are these devices mostly frowned-upon by people who thought their recipe would yield a 100-IBU beer but they only got 75 IBUs? I'm very tempted to try it to see if I can contain more hop schputz. The reviews seem very enthusiastic and no mention of lost utilization.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

It is cheap enough that you can buy it and just see how it works.  I found for me it was just not worth the issues and I found cleaning it to be a PITA.  The wort never boils in the tube.  Now, with the current trends that is not an issue but I did notice a loss in utilization and would throw in the bittering charge commando into the kettle.  Have you tried the paint strainer bags and see if that helps you?

This is the one I have for reference, that is a 62qt kettle, almost 18" high and this thing was just about to the top.

25803470267_61e8a2120d_b.jpgstrainer by ipa_me, on Flickr

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

I did try the nylon mash bags at one time. They were a PITA in the boil and occasionally opened up dumping out their contents which clearly defeats the purpose. I agree that it's cheap enough to just test it and see for myself. The whole hop utilization thing is probably something that just needs to be tested and if the hop level on this next beer is noticeably low, I'll address that part separately. I ordered it and I'll have it Friday... in time to brew Saturday. I'm thinking that with the mash bag inside the MT (to reduce break material) and with this thing to reduce hop schputz... I should see some better results. Cheers.

#30 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

I have found that paint strainer bags don't work as well for me as real life hop bags.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

I have found that paint strainer bags don't work as well for me as real life hop bags.

I find nothing works as well as just throwing all those hops in :)

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

I'm pretty sure that's true for me too.

I could see this stainless contraption that I bought getting gunked up and if it was not cleaned properly before using it again I'm sure the hop utilization will continue to decline. I might consider taking the pressure washer to it if I can't get it clean after I use it. Cheers peeps.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:03 PM

I'm pretty sure that's true for me too.

I could see this stainless contraption that I bought getting gunked up and if it was not cleaned properly before using it again I'm sure the hop utilization will continue to decline. I might consider taking the pressure washer to it if I can't get it clean after I use it. Cheers peeps.

I have used the pressure washer on mine a few times!  Maybe one day I will try it again.  I think with the hoping rates you use you will be okay.

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:15 PM

I have used the pressure washer on mine a few times!  Maybe one day I will try it again.  I think with the hoping rates you use you will be okay.

That's what I'm really hoping. I don't pretend to know but what is it that we're trying to get into the boil when we add hops? Only the oils? If this SS filter thing got completely covered with hop solids on the walls and the oils couldn't escape then I could see it. If that happened I might be inclined to use my SS spoon and scrape the insides of the filter to allow some flow. But I can't see hop oils staying inside the cylinder and not making contact with the wort to such a degree that hop utilization would be REALLY noticeable.

#35 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

Works up until I have to drain the kettle!

Tried a Craftmeister alkaline soak?  That stuff seems to clean anything.

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

Works up until I have to drain the kettle!

Tried a Craftmeister alkaline soak?  That stuff seems to clean anything.

I have only had one issue draining and that was my fault for having a 90* elbow.  Even with 16+ oz in a 5g batch I have no issues.

Yes, I have that cleaner currently in the brewery.  I have not tried it with this but will, it works well at everything else I have thrown at it.

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

So Drez, let me ask: When the boil comes to an end have you just been pulling the strainer out of the brewpot and letting it drain out into the pot or what? It doesn't sound like you use it much anymore but this one I ordered is quite large and would have some volume in it. I could see lifting it out and having it be full of wort. I'm trying to envision a way to let it drain/dribble out so I don't lose that volume. Then when it's done I'll either hit it with the hose, turn it upside down and try to knock the hop schputz out of it, etc.

#38 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

I have only had one issue draining and that was my fault for having a 90* elbow.  Even with 16+ oz in a 5g batch I have no issues.

Yes, I have that cleaner currently in the brewery.  I have not tried it with this but will, it works well at everything else I have thrown at it.

The way my pickup tube is set up lose whole hops will clog it.  Loose pellets are fine, though.  They just go right through the pump and into the fermenter.

#39 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

So Drez, let me ask: When the boil comes to an end have you just been pulling the strainer out of the brewpot and letting it drain out into the pot or what? It doesn't sound like you use it much anymore but this one I ordered is quite large and would have some volume in it. I could see lifting it out and having it be full of wort. I'm trying to envision a way to let it drain/dribble out so I don't lose that volume. Then when it's done I'll either hit it with the hose, turn it upside down and try to knock the hop schputz out of it, etc.

I would leave it in there.  I do not think disturbing it is a good idea.

The way my pickup tube is set up lose whole hops will clog it.  Loose pellets are fine, though.  They just go right through the pump and into the fermenter.

Truthfully I do not use many whole hops in the boil but when I do I have a SS screen that slips over my dip tube and that helps with filtering them out, at least enough for my system.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

I would leave it in there.  I do not think disturbing it is a good idea.

I was thinking about at the end of the boil when 'disturbing' would be less of an issue. Take it out of the BK, let it drain a bit, then chill, etc. I think that would be better than having it in the BK during the chill, during the transfer to the fermenter, etc. Am I making sense?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users