73 replies to this topic

#41 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

I don't know that I have ever tried to order short/gas-in dip tubes... do parts suppliers ordinarily carry them? Maybe I'll order 2 of the floaters and 2 short dip tubes and see how they work. Cheers Drez.

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:59 AM

I don't know that I have ever tried to order short/gas-in dip tubes... do parts suppliers ordinarily carry them? Maybe I'll order 2 of the floaters and 2 short dip tubes and see how they work. Cheers Drez.

https://www.morebeer...-stainless.html

#43 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:20 AM

https://www.morebeer...-stainless.html

Awesome, thank you. Now to find out if my hand will work better than yours. I'm betting on NO. :P

In related news, on Wednesday I'm making a 940 starter and on Friday or Saturday I'm making a beer with a 6 gallon batch size so I can attempt to get 100% clear wort into the fermenter. Then hope is that the beer may clear better without the additional trub that I've been allowing into my primaries. If I can get decent clarity that way, my plan is to skip the floating dip tubes because I honestly don't want to mess with them. But if they end up being the only solution then I'm in. Cheers & thanks again.

#44 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

https://www.ebay.com...w-/272422180691

Edited by Mike Green, 19 February 2018 - 08:40 AM.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Sure it is cheaper but it also comes from China and may not be here till April.  I would pay the extra couple bucks to have it this week but that is me.

#46 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

Honestly I think these things are a game changer. Almost embarrassing that I've known about these for a few years and didn't consider them sooner. Here is a spunded Low-O2 Helles that is 25 days old with a clear beer system floating pick-up.

WETMRTm.jpg

Edited by neddles, 19 February 2018 - 09:29 AM.

#47 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:50 AM

Nice neddles. Did you have to do anything unusual to get the tubing on the diptube like Drez did? Did you order new short diptubes, cut anything, etc? Also, do you have a feel for how much trub is getting into your primary? This was not the type of thing that made itself known until I started grabbing gravity samples from the port on the bottom of the primary. I would get a bunch of hop & break material in the sample. Before low-O2 all of that would settle as fermentation completed and then be left at the bottom of the primary without me ever really noticing it.

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:55 AM

Nice neddles. Did you have to do anything unusual to get the tubing on the diptube like Drez did? Did you order new short diptubes, cut anything, etc? Also, do you have a feel for how much trub is getting into your primary? This was not the type of thing that made itself known until I started grabbing gravity samples from the port on the bottom of the primary. I would get a bunch of hop & break material in the sample. Before low-O2 all of that would settle as fermentation completed and then be left at the bottom of the primary without me ever really noticing it.

I think he is using this http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/ .  It is a bit more money than the option I went with.  It also looks like the hose is a bit wider to slip over the post easier.

#49 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

I warmed the end of the hose and if slides right on to a gas post.  I plan to do the same when I install it in the keg and then fill with sanatizer , through the floating tube thingy.

39218006705_c13f943195_c.jpg

I had the same problem when getting my float tubing hooked up.    I couldn't reach the damn short dip tube in the keg to thread the tubing on and the tube wouldn't fit into the keg when threaded on the dip tube.    However, I was just about to get my drill out when I noticed the dip tube was the same diameter as the little ss tube attached to the float.  I was able to thread the tube inside the dip tube and get it smoothed out.  Worked great and no drilling needed.  

#50 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

I had the same problem when getting my float tubing hooked up.    I couldn't reach the damn short dip tube in the keg to thread the tubing on and the tube wouldn't fit into the keg when threaded on the dip tube.    However, I was just about to get my drill out when I noticed the dip tube was the same diameter as the little ss tube attached to the float.  I was able to thread the tube inside the dip tube and get it smoothed out.  Worked great and no drilling needed.

WAT? You put the plastic tubing inside of the short diptube instead of outside? Or did I read that wrong?

#51 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

I use the clear beer system as Drez noted. It comes with a gas-in dip tube and silicone tubing that is sized appropriately for it. It went on easy for me.

As far as trub in the primary I have changed nothing. I get about 4.5-5 gallons of crystal clear wort in the fermenter before it starts to siphon break material into the primary. I don't even use a sieve/strainer like you do (used to). In the picture above the beer was poured at 31ºF where it is lagering right now. The slight amount of haze there disappears as it is a minor chill haze. I expect it to go away when I bring the keg to serving temp.

#52 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:14 AM

I tired that and was not able to get it in to the dip tube. I will have to try it again on my second one.

#53 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

I use the clear beer system as Drez noted. It comes with a gas-in dip tube and silicone tubing that is sized appropriately for it. It went on easy for me.

As far as trub in the primary I have changed nothing. I get about 4.5-5 gallons of crystal clear wort in the fermenter before it starts to siphon break material into the primary. I don't even use a sieve/strainer like you do (used to). In the picture above the beer was poured at 31ºF where it is lagering right now. The slight amount of haze there disappears as it is a minor chill haze. I expect it to go away when I bring the keg to serving temp.

Okay, good stuff. I might look at the clear-beer system if it means that installation will be easy.

On the trub aspect... I have no real idea if trub in the fermenter is a huge contributor to haze. Are there things in the trub that will react and cause haze? Will getting 5 gallons of very clear wort into the fermenter produce beers that clear quickly without finings and without using the floating pickup tubes? I don't know the answer but the idea of NO TRUB IN THE FERMENTER seems to be one of the low-O2 mantras and some of them may consider the floater to be a "Band-Aid" to fix a problem. You already know that I would use the floater in a heartbeat if I had no other way to produce clear beer. Thanks for the info gang.

#54 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

WAT? You put the plastic tubing inside of the short diptube instead of outside? Or did I read that wrong?

Nope,  you read it right.   I creased the end just a little to get it started inside the dip tube, and then it smoothed out.   I was pleasantly surprised. 

#55 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

Nope,  you read it right.   I creased the end just a little to get it started inside the dip tube, and then it smoothed out.   I was pleasantly surprised.

Mmm, resourceful as homebrewers usually are. :lol: Thanks for the clarification.

#56 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

So can I assume that for those who are sending the beer from primary to keg to spund that you would have the sanitized floating pickup tube installed right from the start? At that point the floater would be laying on the bottom of the keg and the transfer would be from the bottom and as the level rose up the floater would rise, etc. Can I assume that no one would try to install one of these AFTER the beer was already in the keg, right?

#57 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

Can I assume that no one would try to install one of these AFTER the beer was already in the keg, right?

I would not do that.

#58 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

Yeah, didn't think so. I have never seen the setup but I envisioned it and assumed it had to be in place first. So neddles' version is $37 each and the one on MoreBeer is $10 but may be trickier to install? I'll have to consider all of that.

#59 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

Yeah, didn't think so. I have never seen the setup but I envisioned it and assumed it had to be in place first. So neddles' version is $37 each and the one on MoreBeer is $10 but may be trickier to install? I'll have to consider all of that.

I like the other one but 4 for 1 is a big deal for me.

#60 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:43 AM

Right you were.  It took some coaxing and I need to use some keg lube but I got them in there.

39600087515_4ceb18f935_c.jpg

39785933044_6d0d640fa2_c.jpg

Edited by drez77, 26 February 2018 - 05:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users