73 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Just picked up 2 of these to see how they work.

Please report back when you've used them. I'm hoping I don't have to go that route but they're a Plan B for sure.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

Please report back when you've used them. I'm hoping I don't have to go that route but they're a Plan B for sure.

Mine are mainly for my hoppy NE style beers that I dry hop in the keg already.  This will help speed up the time to tap!

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

Mine are mainly for my hoppy NE style beers that I dry hop in the keg already.  This will help speed up the time to tap!

NOICE! :lol:

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

Mine are mainly for my hoppy NE style beers that I dry hop in the keg already. This will help speed up the time to tap!

Are you going to leave the hops loose in the keg?This is what is suggested on the Clear Beer System website. Seems like a great way to get superior contact with the hops and they should all settle at the bottom upon chilling.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

Are you going to leave the hops loose in the keg?This is what is suggested on the Clear Beer System website. Seems like a great way to get superior contact with the hops and they should all settle at the bottom upon chilling.

That is my plan.  Pellets and powder right into the keg.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

That is my plan.  Pellets and powder right into the keg.

oh that sounds great!  that right there could sell this system for me if it works well for you guys.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

Fast shipping from Morebeer.  I should have these Saturday.  Planning a brew day for Monday and it looks like it will be a hoppy beer to give these a test.

#28 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:48 AM

Fast shipping from Morebeer.  I should have these Saturday.  Planning a brew day for Monday and it looks like it will be a hoppy beer to give these a test.

Did you need to order short (gas-in) dip tubes for these? Does the stock silicone tubing fit right onto the keg dip tube?

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

Did you need to order short (gas-in) dip tubes for these? Does the stock silicone tubing fit right onto the keg dip tube?

I plan to just cut off part of the standard dip tube.  I can always re-flare the end if I need to use the original dip tube again.  If that does not work I have a fair amount of parts and stuff kicking around to make it work one way or another!

Stay tuned!  I can post pictures of what I do if anyone wants to see them.

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

I plan to just cut off part of the standard dip tube.  I can always re-flare the end if I need to use the original dip tube again.  If that does not work I have a fair amount of parts and stuff kicking around to make it work one way or another!

Stay tuned!  I can post pictures of what I do if anyone wants to see them.

Yeah I am curious how these are hooked up in comparison with the Clear Beer System ones. CBS comes with its own dip tube (which is probably just a gas dip tube) to replace the liquid out tube.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

Yeah I am curious how these are hooked up in comparison with the Clear Beer System ones. CBS comes with its own dip tube (which is probably just a gas dip tube) to replace the liquid out tube.

That may be the simplest method, but not the most fun:)

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

Please post pics so we can refer to them if needed... that would be great & thanks in advance. I could see cutting the standard diptubes -OR- getting shorter, gas-in-style tubes to put on the liquid-out side of the keg since there would no longer be a need for the long length of tubing. I grabbed a gravity sample today and it was in my hydro flask and then I walked away and came back later and the top half of the sample had settled out and looked very clear compared to the bottom half and I thought... That's why you get the floating diptube thingy! :lol:

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

I warmed the end of the hose and if slides right on to a gas post.  I plan to do the same when I install it in the keg and then fill with sanatizer , through the floating tube thingy.

39218006705_c13f943195_c.jpg

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for that. Simple enough. I have a feeling I am going to own one of these for every keg sooner or later.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for that. Simple enough. I have a feeling I am going to own one of these for every keg sooner or later.

At the price the ones I bought it seems like a no brainer.

I will post back once I put it in service.

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:44 AM

I finally got around to installing one of these in a keg and ran into an slight issue.  My had was not flexible enough to get the hose onto the gas dip tube.  I instead drilled out the keg so that I could slide the hose up through the keg post and install it outside the keg and push it back down.  No issues but I can see some may not want to go this route.

26487063118_0efa4fd306_c.jpg

40312646892_4e8845b228_b.jpg

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:14 AM

What was the issue, Drez? The hose over the short dip tube would not fit through the existing hole on the liquid-out side? Also, did you cut your long tubes or order more gas-in tubes? Finally, how many of these floaters did you buy? I plan to rotate 9 kegs so I should really have NINE of these, right?

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

What was the issue, Drez? The hose over the short dip tube would not fit through the existing hole on the liquid-out side? Also, did you cut your long tubes or order more gas-in tubes? Finally, how many of these floaters did you buy? I plan to rotate 9 kegs so I should really have NINE of these, right?

I heated the hose up in boiling water just like I did to test fit on the gas diptube.  I put the diptube in the keg and tried getting the hose on it and I failed.  I just could not bed my hand the right way to get it on.  I am sure other could but I was not having any of it and decided to just drill it out.  This was my "brite" tank keg anyway so I was not that worried. 

For this I did not order anything, I have LOTS of spare parts laying around in various places.  I got 2 of these to start off with.  If they work good I will order more.  Not sure how many more but at least 6 for a total of 8. 

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

Ah, okay. You couldn't get your hand in there to properly install the tubing on the short dip tube. Roger that. I plan to check a few of these finished beers within the next day or so and check clarity. Maybe I'll get a few of these and take them for a test drive but I would rather not cut my long dip tubes just in case I decide to go back to using them. Could these things just be connected to the bottom of the long diptube? Or would there be an issue when the beer level was low and the tubing would be laying in the schputz and creating cloudiness?

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:40 AM

Ah, okay. You couldn't get your hand in there to properly install the tubing on the short dip tube. Roger that. I plan to check a few of these finished beers within the next day or so and check clarity. Maybe I'll get a few of these and take them for a test drive but I would rather not cut my long dip tubes just in case I decide to go back to using them. Could these things just be connected to the bottom of the long diptube? Or would there be an issue when the beer level was low and the tubing would be laying in the schputz and creating cloudiness?

I mentioned doing that before and some indicated that the hose may get "piled" up at the bottom causing issues getting all the beer out.  I have to agree with that observation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users