Photo
- - - - -

Do we need to put up a detailed and pinned thread about new processes?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:44 AM

Definitely support developing a "New Process" thing around here. Tag would be cool and maybe pin the thread for a little while before moving it to FAQ so that the discussion can take place. Not a ton of traffic over here so keeping it up top for a little would be nice.

And yeah, my next topic I was going to start was "New Processes: Hop Additions"

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

Okay, let's wait until this board upgrade takes place and then we'll come up with an idea for how to share the content and knock it around. I could also start ONE pinned thread that has all of the content in it. If we create a new tag, that's fine too.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

Also, Matt brings up a good point: What's new and what's not? Do we cover things like water composition and pH control? I consider these vitally important but not necessarily new or improved. Do we only cover things where some new experiment has smashed long-held beliefs in the brewing world or would the NEW TECH series of posts benefit from any and all of these topics?

#24 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47956 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

Also, Matt brings up a good point: What's new and what's not? Do we cover things like water composition and pH control? I consider these vitally important but not necessarily new or improved. Do we only cover things where some new experiment has smashed long-held beliefs in the brewing world or would the NEW TECH series of posts benefit from any and all of these topics?

JMO, but I'd say the latter.

I know how to adjust and control water... (if I can remember how to use Palmer's spreadsheet)  I don't know things that have happened since I stopped paying attention.  

I'm having difficulty coming up with an example precisely because I don't know what I don't know, so I'm going to go back a ways and talk about batch vs fly sparge. If I'd brewed 20 years ago and then stopped, so I missed the whole Denny revolution, I wouldn't even know that batch sparge was a thing if I started brewing again 10 years ago.  If somebody were putting together New Technique topics back then, batch sparge would be something I'd have liked to see.  Now, obviously not, but I feel like there is some newer mash techniques that I would love to learn about (no sparge with the bag maybe?).  Those are the kinds of things I'd love to see 

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

Your post even reminds me that "mash consistency" used to be a thing and now it seems less important. For example: When I was a new AG brewer, I did one mash and TWO sparges. Someone asked me why I did two and I said, "That's how I learned". So I have been doing a mash and a sparge now for years but I believe that some people do FULL VOLUME mashes now. Is that right? Who does full-volume mashes with no sparges and what are the drawbacks or benefits? If you asked someone years ago if they put ALL SEVEN (or whatever) GALLONS OF WATER IN THE MASH they would say, "OH MY GOD, NO!". But that seems to have been debunked too. I know my mash thickness is much lower since I have been adding the majority of my water to the mash vessel. So there are truly a lot of these topics to cover... especially for anyone whose been gone or just brewing without paying attention.

#26 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

Yeah I think water is a pretty straightforward, though complicated, topic. I think though that we have an understanding, and have had for a while, that different water profiles are better for certain beer styles.

I think smashing long held beliefs is the best use of this topic. When I started, yeast starters were the greatest thing you could for your beer and they had to be at least 2L or your were severely underpitching your beer and thereby ruining it. And then making a starter wasn't good enough, you needed a stir plate. Now it's like just shake it in a L for like a few hours and pitch the whole thing (in a container 4x the size of your starter). And in no way should you stir that sucker or else or harming the poor yeasts.

I think there's a few ideas like that around hops and now boiling the wort too, so I think that's what the "New Tech" tag/thread title is good for.

Edited: change process to tech

Edited by Breakpoint, 24 August 2017 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users