Photo
- - - - -

Do we need to put up a detailed and pinned thread about new processes?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:07 AM

With so many new ideas in homebrewing and so many people here getting back to brewing after a break, do we need a comprehensive & detailed thread about these processes with full explanations, possibly links to Exbeeriments, etc. so that we have a road map for all this stuff? I know I started a thread about some of the things I've been doing but maybe we need something a little more robust. Thoughts?

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

Not a bad idea if we intend to keep the beer forum active and relevant. 

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

I may ask for people to PM me some content that they're comfortable putting together. I can copy it into the thread and we can tweak it as needed. I'm thinking about things like various hop addition information (whirlpooling for one), starters, 30 minute boils, malt conditioning, quick lager method, clarifiers, brewtan (for better or worse) and anything else people can think of. Could be good.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

I've got a new-ish method (at least for me) for racking that i've found to be helpful to minimize sediment pickup.

I ferment in Ale Pails and rack with an AutoSiphon, but I think this could also be helpful for those who ferment in glass carboys or Better Bottles.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

I'd like to do this and I think it could be a big help not only for newbies or people getting back into it but also as a reference for us and also for brewers who are here but may not check in as much. Also, I occasionally get emails from people who visit my [unbelievably outdated site] and it would be nice to link to a spot with some updated ideas. But I don't necessarily want to write it all myself. If anyone feels industrious and wants to put a few sentences or paragraphs together and PM it to me, I'll copy it to the new thread and we'll just add onto it as more new information comes around. It could also contain information about new malts, hops and yeast strains that we have used... that particular area can be really hard to keep up with because it's just a constantly flowing thing with new information seemingly every day. Maybe some tips on how certain hops have been used with good results, maybe some water information, pH control stuff, etc.

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47956 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

Absolutely interested.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

I guess I'm trying to envision a way to manage it so that people can ask questions and people can give answers. But I don't know if I like just ONE thread because there will be many topics. I was thinking that people could write something and PM it to me because I can edit posts long-term and I can edit other people's posts. I'm sure there's an easy way to do this but I don't want to start it in an unusable format and then have to change it somehow. Should we consider a sub-forum for this? Should we pin EVERY "new concept" thread? That could get a little messy.

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47956 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

Maybe just a topic tag?

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

Maybe just a topic tag?

Like a new one that says "NEW BREWING CONCEPT" or something like that? I don't use tags very often but that could be nice. Can you search by tag? Or... everyone who starts a thread like this just put NEW CONCEPT: at the beginning of the thread title so they can be searched. I'm spitballing now.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

I think it's a fantastic idea but imho I don't care for a forum that has so many categories; AHA and NB to name two. For example, Extract, All Grain, BIAB, Brewing with Pets etc..

I appreciate the simplicity of jumping into this forum. That and all you guys who contribute of course :) If we can keep the categories to a minimum?

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

I think it's a fantastic idea but imho I don't care for a forum that has so many categories; AHA and NB to name two. For example, Extract, All Grain, BIAB, Brewing with Pets etc..

I appreciate the simplicity of jumping into this forum. That and all you guys who contribute of course :) If we can keep the categories to a minimum?

Hey! You shut your mouth about the Brewing With Pets subforum! :lol:

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

MMM my Chocolate Lab Stout is so good... the lab really ads something to the beer

:troll:

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

how about an FAQ addition?

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47956 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

how about an FAQ addition?

Seems more like they might get moved to FAQ section after everybody hashes them out.

#15 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

How another sub-forum in BEER called "(New) Topics in Brewing"?

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

MMM my Chocolate Lab Stout is so good... the lab really ads something to the beer

:troll:

This is why we can't have nice things around here. All the Tom Foolery and Shenanigans

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

How another sub-forum in BEER called "(New) Topics in Brewing"?

I was kind of considering that. I think George may have to set up that subforum because I have not done that. He did such a nice job with The Hot Spot we may as well let him do that. All of the threads would be a separate topic and it will start with some information on the topic and then there could be some give and take. I realize some people don't like additional forums and subforums but it would be nice if someone dropped in here and we could say, "Check out the NEW PROCESSES subforum before you go any further!" or whatever. If a thread is started in there that IS NOT a "new process" thread, it can be deleted so the subforum can be kept clean. I'm open to other suggestions too.

#18 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

I say no.  Make some new FAQ topics about some things if needed. Or people can use the search function. Eventually "New" ideas become old. So how will you know when to remove them from the "New" subforum? Just my opinion but I say no to new subforum and/or pinned threads.

#19 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47956 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

I'm always resistant to a new sub forum.  Plus, I don't want to make structural changes while we're in the middle of a move and upgrade.

FAQ won't work because only Mods can post there, so everyone else couldn't comment.

We can search by tags, but only with the crappy built-in search function. Everybody uses Google now for anything important, right?

I say we just go with a title prefix like NEW TECH: for this stuff in the short term.  We can re-evaluate once the move is complete and software upgraded.  Who knows what fancy capabilities we might have then.  In the meantime, we can find these threads easily with the prefix and discuss them.  

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

I'm always resistant to a new sub forum.  Plus, I don't want to make structural changes while we're in the middle of a move and upgrade.

FAQ won't work because only Mods can post there, so everyone else couldn't comment.

We can search by tags, but only with the crappy built-in search function. Everybody uses Google now for anything important, right?

I say we just go with a title prefix like NEW TECH: for this stuff in the short term.  We can re-evaluate once the move is complete and software upgraded.  Who knows what fancy capabilities we might have then.  In the meantime, we can find these threads easily with the prefix and discuss them.

I jumped into the AdminCP to see if I could find how to set up a new tag but I couldn't find it. That's probably the better way as opposed to putting it in the thread title but I think either one would work. However and whenever we decide to do it, I'll start to fill it with some new stuff and ask that others do too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users