#141 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

I've got grain ready for 2 batches, several yeast slurries, and a freezer full of cryo hops. Now all I need to do is find time.

#142 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:30 AM

I've got grain ready for 2 batches, several yeast slurries, and a freezer full of cryo hops. Now all I need to do is find time.

preach it brother Denny

#143 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

Just started my mashout on batch #2 of the day.   Great sunrise this morning too.  But...    it's staring to get a little warm...

#144 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

Not sure if this is a Tastybrew issue or what but when I have a good amount of Vienna or Munich in my base malt, the projected OG is lower. On the previous page my OG for the beer today shows 1.049 or 1.048. If I make the pils "Pils 2-row" and the Vienna "Vienna" and the Munich "Munich Light" instead of the German versions I chose, the projected OG if this beer is only 1.044. My hydrometer reading (about 60°) taken today was about 1.046. So I think my efficiency is okay and I think that it must be true that Vienna and Munich have a lower yield than pilsner or plain 2-row. If I'm not understanding that correctly, please advise. I didn't really think about the OG when I was putting the recipe together... I just knew what I wanted. Also, it was probably this sort of thing that made me stop taking readings in the first place... not being able to get an accurate projection of the OG. Next time I use that much Vienna or Munich I'll use more pilsner malt as well.

#145 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

Making a kolsch today, just getting the wort up to a boil. Perfect, sunny 70 degree fall day out there.

#146 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

Not sure if this is a Tastybrew issue or what but when I have a good amount of Vienna or Munich in my base malt, the projected OG is lower. On the previous page my OG for the beer today shows 1.049 or 1.048. If I make the pils "Pils 2-row" and the Vienna "Vienna" and the Munich "Munich Light" instead of the German versions I chose, the projected OG if this beer is only 1.044. My hydrometer reading (about 60°) taken today was about 1.046. So I think my efficiency is okay and I think that it must be true that Vienna and Munich have a lower yield than pilsner or plain 2-row. If I'm not understanding that correctly, please advise. I didn't really think about the OG when I was putting the recipe together... I just knew what I wanted. Also, it was probably this sort of thing that made me stop taking readings in the first place... not being able to get an accurate projection of the OG. Next time I use that much Vienna or Munich I'll use more pilsner malt as well.

Ken, who is/are the maltsters for your Vienna/Munich malts?  Said maltsters might have websites that show the specs for their malts.

That said, I've read in the past that the slightly darker-kilned base malts (Munich and Vienna) can have slightly lower yields than plain ol' 2-row or Pils malt.

Not saying yours do, but it's not out of the realm of reason.  I'd look for a website and see what the maltsters have to say about extract yield, etc.

#147 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Ken, who is/are the maltsters for your Vienna/Munich malts?  Said maltsters might have websites that show the specs for their malts.

That said, I've read in the past that the slightly darker-kilned base malts (Munich and Vienna) can have slightly lower yields than plain ol' 2-row or Pils malt.

Not saying yours do, but it's not out of the realm of reason.  I'd look for a website and see what the maltsters have to say about extract yield, etc.

The Munich Light was in a BSG bag and the Vienna was something I got at a LHBS and the person there just wrote VIENNA on the bag in Sharpie... so not sure. I have always said that if I go to make a 5.4% beer and it comes out at 5.2%, I'm not going to lose sleep over that. I want to make great beer that tastes good and I'm never interested in higher-ABV beers anyway. Clearly if I went to make a 5.4% beer that came out at 4.4%, that would indicate that there's an issue that should be looked at. But I don't think that's what's happening. Tastybrew is a pretty old way to manage recipes but it's been consistent... the higher percentage of Vienna or Munich in the recipe, the lower the OG.

#148 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:19 AM

The guy who put Tastybrew together is a good friend of mine.  All the code is custom written in some arcane language, including the recipe calculator.  When Rob wrote it he's on.y been brewing a couple years and simply took the "rules" that were out there and implemented them in code.  It's remarkable that it's even close these days.

#149 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

late to the thread but on friday I made:

• 10 gal of "bright idea ale V3" which is a take on drez's standard pale ale.  in this case I'm adding about 2.6lbs of oatmeal (standard grocery store size container) and I'm using some mosaic in place of some of the chinook.  also the bittering hops are a combo of nugget and columbus.

• 10 gal of Denny's RIPA.  a few pounds of the base malt were a mix of us pale ale and maris otter.  when brew day came I noticed that the bucket was 1lb short of the total weight I was expecting.  I could have left out a pound of 2-row, pale ale or crystal (I know for sure I put the right amount of rye and wheat in there).  I was afraid to add more crystal to this so I threw in another pound of us 2-row and and called it good.  it will be beer and I'm sure it will still be delicious regardless of what happened.

I was a bit rushed in preparation and on the brew day when I made these batches.  once I had the wort from batch 1 into the fermentor my day immediately felt much more relaxed.  I think with proper prep this would have been a much nicer day overall but I will hopefully end up with 20 gal of seriously delicious beer made with 1450.  it's fitting that it's a drez beer and an original denny beer.  they are probably two of my biggest beer inspirations out there.  also kind of funny b/c drez used to not like 1450 but now he likes it.  two very different brewers but I like and respect both of them.  feeling the beer love.  :cheers:

Edited by pickle_rick, 08 October 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#150 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

The Munich Light was in a BSG bag and the Vienna was something I got at a LHBS and the person there just wrote VIENNA on the bag in Sharpie... so not sure. I have always said that if I go to make a 5.4% beer and it comes out at 5.2%, I'm not going to lose sleep over that. I want to make great beer that tastes good and I'm never interested in higher-ABV beers anyway. Clearly if I went to make a 5.4% beer that came out at 4.4%, that would indicate that there's an issue that should be looked at. But I don't think that's what's happening. Tastybrew is a pretty old way to manage recipes but it's been consistent... the higher percentage of Vienna or Munich in the recipe, the lower the OG.

Typically the calculators will have a lower yield value for Vienna or Munich malts, particularly domestics, as they used to be made from 6-row IIRC, don'r rely solely on the values assigned by the software, look them up directly on the maltsters websites if you are worried about it.

#151 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

Typically the calculators will have a lower yield value for Vienna or Munich malts, particularly domestics, as they used to be made from 6-row IIRC, don'r rely solely on the values assigned by the software, look them up directly on the maltsters websites if you are worried about it.

I did this for a while but I'm too lazy to check if my numbers are still good.  I do tend to use the same malsters (CMC, best malz, TF) so on my base malts I'm probably not too far off.

#152 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

I did this for a while but I'm too lazy to check if my numbers are still good.  I do tend to use the same malsters (CMC, best malz, TF) so on my base malts I'm probably not too far off.

personally I'm not worried about it, unless I'm worried that using 100 % of a Munich base in a beer is going to throw off my desired OG by a lot, thus messing up my hop utilization, and boil off calculations

#153 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

Making a kolsch today, just getting the wort up to a boil. Perfect, sunny 70 degree fall day out there.

Next on my list using Omega Kolsch II for the first time. Imperfect, sunny, spirit crushing hotness on a 90+ degree fall day in northern Cuba.

#154 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

I'm doing a Pseudo Sue ripoff and calling it Psycho Sue.  

#155 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

I'm doing a Pseudo Sue ripoff and calling it Psycho Sue.  

Would not mind seeing that recipe if you do not mind.

#156 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

I was a bit rushed in preparation and on the brew day when I made these batches.  once I had the wort from batch 1 into the fermentor my day immediately felt much more relaxed.  I think with proper prep this would have been a much nicer day overall but I will hopefully end up with 20 gal of seriously delicious beer made with 1450.  it's fitting that it's a drez beer and an original denny beer.  they are probably two of my biggest beer inspirations out there.  also kind of funny b/c drez used to not like 1450 but now he likes it.  two very different brewers but I like and respect both of them.  feeling the beer love.  :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words.  As for that bolded part, yup! Not sure what happened but 1450 started to work for me a few years back in a NEIPA of all beers, I am sure that makes Denny cringe :), and it has been used a lot since then.  Before I would have attenuation issues with it but that is no longer a problem for me.

#157 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:44 AM

Me too. I have a fresh 4 pk of pseudo sue right now and after the first one I would say its not too far off from Zombie Dust. Similar in color and malt character and maybe a little more hazy than ZD but not in the NEIPA way. My $0.02

#158 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

This is from a thread in Homebrew talk.  I used different yeast, because I have some yeast to get rid of.  I did the first dry hop after a couple of days in the fermenter.  This turned out really good

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.24 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.56 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.38 gal
Fermentation: ** Sean's Fermentation Profile

Date: 23 Jan 2017
Brewer: Sean Hanna
Equipment: **Sean's Equipment (5 Gal Batch) - All Grain**
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 48.1 % 
6 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 44.4 % 

8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 % 
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 % 
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 25.8 IBUs 
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 6 - 
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 7 - 
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 35.0 min Hop 8 46.6 IBUs 
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs 
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35.49 ml] Yeast 10 ( I will make a 2L starter with this)
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs 
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs (in keg)

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.9 %
Bitterness: 72.4 IBUs
Est Color: 5.7 SRM 

Mash In Add 18.08 qt of water at 170.0 F 154.0 F 60 min 

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 5.64gal) of 168.0 F water 
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg
Pressure/Weight: 12.54 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 45.0 F
Fermentation: ** Sean's Fermentation Profile (which is basically primary for 5-7 days, then dry hop for 5 in primary and rack to dry hopped keg for a few more)

Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Carbonation Used: Keg with 12.54 PSI

#159 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

Thanks

#160 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

Sneaking in a workday brewday tomorrow, an IPA featuring Mosaic and Columbus.

Grist will be my normal IPA grist, with Magnum to bitter, Columbus as FWH, and several large late additions of mostly Mosaic+ a bit of Columbus.

US-05 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

For those who've had it, this beer ended up being a very close clone of MadTree's Psychopathy IPA.  Very tasty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users