#82 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

Just remember to use all the new current trends in brewing!

just remember not to burn the shit out of yourself, or kill your yeast, and you'll be good Cralos

#83 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54114 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

like, use yeast?  no seriously what new trends? that sacrilegious BREW IN A BAG stuff? nope. cooler mashtun and bayou burner lol.

We have some new stuff lately Carlos. For one, a quick lager method where you can be drinking a delicious lager in 2-3 weeks. The other huge [IMO] advancement is the 30-minute boil time. Get twice the batches out of a propane tank and save time and energy on brewday. There are others too. Good to see you back.

#84 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

like, use yeast? no seriously what new trends? that sacrilegious BREW IN A BAG stuff? nope. cooler mashtun and bayou burner lol.

Short boils
whirlpool hops
Shaken not stirred starters
biab is good, I swapped over to it
Much of old homebrewing myth has been debunked recently
Oh yeah, use lots of hops and all late :)

#85 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

Short boils
whirlpool hops

I think the main thing is to use what works for you and realize there are few hard and fast rules :cheers:

#86 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54114 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

Short boils

Also... no boil. :o

I think the main thing is to use what works for you and realize there are few hard and fast rules :cheers:

I agree but between some of this new stuff we have found plus a lot of the Exbeeriment stuff... there is a lot of new thinking in brewing and if you took any time off or even stayed off the forums for a bit, you may have missed it. We need a ICYMI subforum! :D

#87 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

Yeah,that!

Brewing a Galaxy IPA

I really need to do the same soon, love that hop!

#88 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

Also... no boil. :o
I agree but between some of this new stuff we have found plus a lot of the Exbeeriment stuff... there is a lot of new thinking in brewing and if you took any time off or even stayed off the forums for a bit, you may have missed it. We need a ICYMI subforum! :D

not a bad idea to let people know of things that might make their process easier/faster/cheaper that they may not have considered before.

#89 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

Short boils
whirlpool hops

explain the short boil? 

#90 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

explain the short boil?

I have been doing a 30 minute boil for about 2 years with zero downside. Even all Pilsner beers get a short boil with no off flavors. The bittering addition needs to be increased to account for the shorter time but for me that is an acceptable tradeoff for time saved. Many others on here have also started doing short boils with the same result.

#91 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

I have been doing a 30 minute boil for about 2 years with zero downside. Even all Pilsner beers get a short boil with no off flavors. The bittering addition needs to be increased to account for the shorter time but for me that is an acceptable tradeoff for time saved. Many others on here have also started doing short boils with the same result.

great job at explaining Drez.... /sarcasm lol. Ill just google. 

#92 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

Not sure what is to explain, boil for less time and adjust the bittering hops to account for the shorter time. Nothing more than that.

#93 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54114 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

Awkward

#94 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

Not sure what is to explain, boil for less time and adjust the bittering hops to account for the shorter time. Nothing more than that.

also a slight adjustment to pre boil volume and gravity

#95 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:41 AM

maybe ask a specific question???  it's so simple there just isn't much to explain.

#96 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

pssst  I havwent brewed in 4 -5 years. I dont know the conversions of everything from a 60min  boil like.... when do the hops go, when do I throw in the whirfollic/irish moss the Immersion chiller. that shit is new to me 

#97 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

pssst  I havwent brewed in 4 -5 years. I dont know the conversions of everything from a 60min  boil like.... when do the hops go, when do I throw in the whirfollic/irish moss the Immersion chiller. that shit is new to me 

There's at least one thread on it.

https://www.brews-br...boil-questions/

4-5 years - I would start with what's familiar at first.  A lot have concluded that for some beers 30 minutes is plenty of boil time.

#98 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47982 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

I am! Tomorrow.

#99 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54114 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

Anything that went into the boil in the last 30 minutes (whirfloc, hops, etc) go in with the same amount of time left in the boil as they originally did. The only real factor is the bittering hops. If you used 1 ounce of [a variety] of hops at 6% with a 60-minute boil, you might need to use more than that to reach the same bittering IBUs in the 30-minute boil. If you use a calculator/recipe app, set your bittering addition for 30 minutes instead of 60 and compare the difference and just try to line them up. Hop additions with 15 minutes (or 10 or 5) stay the same... add them 15, 10, 5 minutes before the end of the boil. Same for Whirfloc. I have some recipes with a FWH and that seemed to have come out okay although I feel like the hop character of that beer seems "fresher" because the hops were only in for 30 minutes and the hop presence was not obliterated by the last 30 minutes of a 60 minute boil. Carlos, forgive me but your approach here is really surprising. If you have questions then just ask. No need to have an attitude about it. It's ordinarily very chill in here and everyone in here is on board with helping whoever asks questions including new brewers or people who have taken a break and are coming back.

#100 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

Two batches (1 beer and 1 cider) are in the primary.

The beer (IPA) used my "standard" IPA grist, and I used some Herkules for bittering, a half oz each of Columbus and Cent as FWH, 1 oz Columbus at 10 min left, 1 oz Cent w/ 5 min left, and 0.5 oz of both Columbus and Cent for a 20-min hopstand. A fresh pack of US-05 is handling the heavy lifting in the primary.

I don't use hopstands much anymore, but I needed that time to get the cider thrown together, and the basement smelled nice, so hopefully some of that will carry over to the final product.

Not a bad brewday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users