#1 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

I see the new kickstarter for pico.

How confident is the company in the new production?   I follow on facebook and it seems like a lot of people have issues with leaks and what not.

I'm halfway tempted.  I keep having random issues with my brews, using a pico might not improve them any.  I'm just at the end of my rope with wanting to brew but not having beers turnout how I want them to.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:37 AM

There is a new pico in the works?  I thought the Pico came out last year some time.

#3 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

yeah, do a search on kickstarter.  Seems smaller.  But they are going to offer some unlimited subscription program  (I think you get 2 kits at a time).

I'm going to try an extract brew next week and see how it goes.

#4 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111960 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

yeah, do a search on kickstarter. Seems smaller. But they are going to offer some unlimited subscription program (I think you get 2 kits at a time).

I'm going to try an extract brew next week and see how it goes.

I'm really liking the extract brewing. It's faster, and less stress. Beers are coming out good.

Edited by the_stain, 03 April 2017 - 07:02 AM.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

I'm really liking the extract brewing. It's faster, and less stress. Beers are coming out good.

How fast is faster?  Drinking an AG batch now that was 2:03 hours start to finish and It is damn good.

I guess this is the Pico?  Pico - C  httpss://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708005089/pico-c-craft-brewing-for-all?ref=nav_search 

looks ..um .. small.

#6 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111960 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

How fast is faster? Drinking an AG batch now that was 2:03 hours start to finish and It is damn good.

I guess this is the Pico? Pico - C httpss://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708005089/pico-c-craft-brewing-for-all?ref=nav_search

looks ..um .. small.

Well, it depends on how you time it. I fill my kettle with water the night before, and heat it on the garage stovetop on brew day while I do something else. I also get all my ingredients set out at the same time, specialty grains in the mesh bag, etc. When it comes to a boil, I start setting timers for my hop and extract additions, so that's when I consider the brew to have really begun. I get my fermenter ready to go while that's happening, and steep the specialty grains in water I pulled from the kettle before it boiled. takes about 15m to chill and transfer, then maybe another 15 for cleanup, so I guess about 1:30. I plan to shorten the boil and bump up the hops on my next batch to see how that goes, I am thinking I can get it down to 1:10 or less.

#7 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

my concerns aren't so much size and speed, it's quality that is an issue with me.

Drez, taste those beers so you can help me pinpoint my problems!   :notworthy:  :1zhelp:

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

I see the new kickstarter for pico.

How confident is the company in the new production?   I follow on facebook and it seems like a lot of people have issues with leaks and what not.

I'm halfway tempted.  I keep having random issues with my brews, using a pico might not improve them any.  I'm just at the end of my rope with wanting to brew but not having beers turnout how I want them to.

I have never had any issues at all with either my Zymatic or Pico.  I haven't seen the new Pico C, but I have confidence in them to do it right.  The new keg design looks really cool. Re: quality....my feeling is that as long as you use your own yeast and not the US-05 that's provided you can make great beer.  I have a Rye IPA Pico pack and a Rye IPA I made in my cooler both on tap now.  They're not identical, but they're damn close.

How fast is faster?  Drinking an AG batch now that was 2:03 hours start to finish and It is damn good.

I guess this is the Pico?  Pico - C  httpss://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708005089/pico-c-craft-brewing-for-all?ref=nav_search 

looks ..um .. small.

It produces the same batch size as the current Pico.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

I have never had any issues at all with either my Zymatic or Pico.  I haven't seen the new Pico C, but I have confidence in them to do it right.  The new keg design looks really cool. Re: quality....my feeling is that as long as you use your own yeast and not the US-05 that's provided you can make great beer.  I have a Rye IPA Pico pack and a Rye IPA I made in my cooler both on tap now.  They're not identical, but they're damn close.

It produces the same batch size as the current Pico.

So are you saying that a great beer can not be made with US-05?  I beg to differ on that.

As for the size.  If it is the same size as the current one then that one is too small too ... IMO.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

So are you saying that a great beer can not be made with US-05?  I beg to differ on that.

As for the size.  If it is the same size as the current one then that one is too small too ... IMO.

I'm saying that I don't care for 05 in general and using it on Pico batches produced terrible beer.  Likely due to overpitching.  The less I pitched, the better the beer got.  As to making a great beer with it, that's subjective.  If you think the beer is great, then it is.  The size is fine for me given the amount of time and effort it takes...or doesn't take!

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

I'm saying that I don't care for 05 in general and using it on Pico batches produced terrible beer.  Likely due to overpitching.  The less I pitched, the better the beer got.  As to making a great beer with it, that's subjective.  If you think the beer is great, then it is.  The size is fine for me given the amount of time and effort it takes...or doesn't take!

You over pitching comment helps with context here, thank you.

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

You over pitching comment helps with context here, thank you.

Yeah, that was the big problem.  But I just don't care for 05 at any pitching rate.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

my concerns aren't so much size and speed, it's quality that is an issue with me.

Drez, taste those beers so you can help me pinpoint my problems!   :notworthy:  :1zhelp:

That's usually not an equipment problem.  Tell us what's up.

#14 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

"empty" mouthfeel is the best description I can give, plus an off flavor that I really only taste initially.  After I have had 4 or 5 sips, i can't taste it.  But the beer is just dull.

The off flavor isn't metallic or ester-type.   I'll try to give a better description tonight while i'm tasting one.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16684 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

"empty" mouthfeel is the best description I can give, plus an off flavor that I really only taste initially.  After I have had 4 or 5 sips, i can't taste it.  But the beer is just dull.

The off flavor isn't metallic or ester-type.   I'll try to give a better description tonight while i'm tasting one.

Where are you with pH control in your process?

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

I can take a pH of the final beers he sent me.  While it will not give the full picture it will give part of it.

#17 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

I haven't messed with pH at all.  I just got my ward test back a few weeks ago.  I haven't brewed since.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16684 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

I haven't messed with pH at all.  I just got my ward test back a few weeks ago.  I haven't brewed since.

Obviously I don't know for sure but I think your problem is likely water based with that really low TDS water of yours. I'd say if you can nail the mash pH and add some modest levels of calcium, sulfate, and chloride you'd notice an immediate difference.

Is the off-flavor an odd graininess or husk-like flavor?

#19 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

Is the off-flavor an odd graininess or husk-like flavor?

It's definitely a synthetic flavor. I really hope my hang up isn't off flavors from my spiedel.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

It's definitely a synthetic flavor. I really hope my hang up isn't off flavors from my spiedel.

I think it is all in your head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users