38 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:14 AM

I'm actually considering ditching the WP hops and using other varieties of resinate at the end and just dry hopping the shit out of it still.

Sounds like the Trillium way of brewing.  They have scaled back on their WP hops and just do a huge DH.  The big 2 here, Tree House and Trillium, put out a similar but slightly different product and one is big on kettle hops and dry hop while the other is more about the dry hop. I have wanted to do an experiment with a lot smaller WP seeing I am not convinced that it is better than a 5 or 0 minute addition and then just use a huge dry hop but time has not been on my side to try that.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:41 AM

Sounds like the Trillium way of brewing.  They have scaled back on their WP hops and just do a huge DH.  The big 2 here, Tree House and Trillium, put out a similar but slightly different product and one is big on kettle hops and dry hop while the other is more about the dry hop. I have wanted to do an experiment with a lot smaller WP seeing I am not convinced that it is better than a 5 or 0 minute addition and then just use a huge dry hop but time has not been on my side to try that.

did someone just say they could save me another 20-30 mins on my hoppy beers?  DO TELL! :D

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:51 AM

did someone just say they could save me another 20-30 mins on my hoppy beers?  DO TELL! :D

Well, not sure about that.  I guess it is more about do you feel that the WP makes your beers better.  I really need the time to do 2 batches back to back.  One with my normal WP and one with out and a larger DH and taste them. 

Here is JC from Trillium talking about moving hops to the  dry hop for congress street.

We started w some galaxy in flameout, since moved it all to dry hop. rough equivalent to 6oz/5 gallons, yielding ~a little over 4 gallons.

httpss://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/anyone-have-a-congress-st-clone-recipe.267947/#post-3411728

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:01 AM

Well, not sure about that.  I guess it is more about do you feel that the WP makes your beers better.  I really need the time to do 2 batches back to back.  One with my normal WP and one with out and a larger DH and taste them. 

Here is JC from Trillium talking about moving hops to the  dry hop for congress street.

httpss://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/anyone-have-a-congress-st-clone-recipe.267947/#post-3411728

cool.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

Just picked up 2#'s of these to play with.  At 7.99 a pound I had to try them.

#26 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

Did a group buy on some, got it at $10/lb. I did an IPA kinda thingy today. 1oz of Centennial at 20min, and steeped 5oz of El Dorado starting at FO. Should be hoppy. :D

Never used them before, but they had a nice, complex, somewhat spicy aroma.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:46 AM

Did a group buy on some, got it at $10/lb. I did an IPA kinda thingy today. 1oz of Centennial at 20min, and steeped 5oz of El Dorado starting at FO. Should be hoppy. :D

Never used them before, but they had a nice, complex, somewhat spicy aroma.

nice price!  how much were you buying?

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:34 AM

nice price!  how much were you buying?

Just picked up 2#'s of these to play with.  At 7.99 a pound I had to try them.

It has been cheap lately.  I got mine at 47hops.

#29 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:15 PM

2lbs, but I donated one to my brew club to raffle off.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:00 PM

My nephew mentioned an IPA that had El Dorado and Lemon Drop hops and he said it was dynamite. Are El Dorado hops meant for bittering or are they dual-purpose?

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Dual

Alpha acid: 14% – 16%
Beer styles: India pale ale, Pale ale
Aroma: Fruity
Purpose: Dual-purpose
Origin: United States of America

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

Dual

Alpha acid: 14% – 16%
Beer styles: India pale ale, Pale ale
Aroma: Fruity
Purpose: Dual-purpose
Origin: United States of America

Thanks Drez. So how is the "fruity"? Citrus, lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, passionfruit, strawberry, melon, etc?

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

I have read it referred to as jolly ranchers candy. That is what I plan to pair it with chinook.

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

My nephew mentioned an IPA that had El Dorado and Lemon Drop hops and he said it was dynamite. Are El Dorado hops meant for bittering or are they dual-purpose?

Stone Delicious IPA. It's a very nice beer. I picked some up today because I haven't been brewing and at one month old it was easily the freshest beer on the shelf.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:24 AM

Stone Delicious IPA. It's a very nice beer. I picked some up today because I haven't been brewing and at one month old it was easily the freshest beer on the shelf.

Ugh, sorry to read one month old is the freshest on the shelf. Maybe I am spoiled but I find beers 1 week or less at my local store. Granted these are local breweries and not the big guys.

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:18 AM

Ugh, sorry to read one month old is the freshest on the shelf. Maybe I am spoiled but I find beers 1 week or less at my local store. Granted these are local breweries and not the big guys.

Yeah it's mostly a function of where I live. There are occasions I can find it fresher but that is rare. I simply won't buy a pale ale or IPA off the shelf if there is no date on it. Unfortunately that pretty much confines me to the bigger breweries, SN, Founders (I don't like their hoppy stuff as much), Bells, etc.. Recently Stone has found a way to get fresher beer on our grocery shelf. Not sure how. I am sure that New Glarus is fresher in many circumstances however they screwed me when they switched their date stamp last year. They used to put a Julian date on the bottle so you knew exactly what date it was packaged. However they switched that to distributers stamp of some sort that tells the distributor when to pull it from the shelf. I haven't been able to decipher the package date from that as of yet, which means I don't buy Moon Man anymore. Too many beers are abused by distributors and grocery/liquor stores to assume it will be fresh.

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:25 AM

They used to put a Julian date on the bottle so you knew exactly what date it was packaged. However they switched that to distributers stamp of some sort that tells the distributor when to pull it from the shelf. I haven't been able to decipher the package date from that as of yet, which means I don't buy Moon Man anymore. Too many beers are abused by distributors and grocery/liquor stores to assume it will be fresh.

That is BS and not customer friendly.  I hate it when they have a cryptic code for the date.  Just give me the date it was bottled/can and I will figure out if I want it.

#38 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:31 AM

That is BS and not customer friendly.  I hate it when they have a cryptic code for the date.  Just give me the date it was bottled/can and I will figure out if I want it.

Agree. And it wouldn't be cryptic if they released how long they consider the shelf life to be for each beer. But until they do that I won't buy Moon Man. 

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:50 AM

That whole thing with New Glarus is why they pulled out of Illinois... assbag distributors. I would think they would have this under better control being available only in WI. I like practically every NG beer I try and I'll drive up to Woodman's in Kenosha to grab Moon Man, Two Women or Staghorn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users