39 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

I'm saying that the rating system allows members to express their opinion as to the quality of posts. Whether it actually does that or not is a separate issue. TOS violations should be handled by the mods.

I think that is the issue. When is a -1 ever going to have a positive effect?

#22 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

I think that is the issue. When is a -1 ever going to have a positive effect?

When a member uses it as constructive criticism.

#23 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

When a member uses it as constructive criticism.

Show me an example where that has worked and I'll give you a +1 tomorrow.

#24 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

Show me an example where that has worked and I'll give you a +1 tomorrow.

As I said, whether it does what it's supposed to do is a different issue. I have no control over how members react to being neg repped. What solution do you propose?

#25 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

As I said, whether it does what it's supposed to do is a different issue. I have no control over how members react to being neg repped. What solution do you propose?

If it's just to give criticism on a single post it should not be an accumulated score.

#26 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

If it's just to give criticism on a single post it should not be an accumulated score.

Ok, but it is. Again, what better solution is out there?

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

Ok, but it is. Again, what better solution is out there?

don't accumulate. that's a good possible first step.

#28 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

I'm not trying to be hardheaded but I don't know what you mean. Rep works the way it works. I also don't see why accumulation is a Bad Thing™. It helps you see who's posting the good stuff.

#29 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'm not trying to be hardheaded but I don't know what you mean. Rep works the way it works. I also don't see why accumulation is a Bad Thing™. It helps you see who's posting the good stuff.

I thought you just said the point of the +/- 1 was to give constructive criticism - if that is the case you don't need an accumulated rep, you just need to see a +/- 1 on a post that doesn't do anything else except show response to that individual post. Now you are saying it's to know who the good posters are well it's good to know that I went from posting "good stuff" to "bad stuff" in a matter of 24 hours. :cheers:

#30 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

I thought you just said the point of the +/- 1 was to give constructive criticism - if that is the case you don't need an accumulated rep, you just need to see a +/- 1 on a post that doesn't do anything else except show response to that individual post. Now you are saying it's to know who the good posters are well it's good to know that I went from posting "good stuff" to "bad stuff" in a matter of 24 hours. :cheers:

I agree that it doesn't need to be accumulated but I don't see what harm it's doing. It's a moot point anyway. Rep is accumulated.

#31 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

I agree that it doesn't need to be accumulated but I don't see what harm it's doing. It's a moot point anyway. Rep is accumulated.

so are you asking for how I think the system could be improved or not? I'm confused...If you think the accumulation aspect has to stay then how about making the post rating non-anonymous? If you'd like to slant things more in the favor of +1s I think this is the way to do it.

#32 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

so are you asking for how I think the system could be improved or not? I'm confused...If you think the accumulation aspect has to stay then how about making the post rating non-anonymous? If you'd like to slant things more in the favor of +1s I think this is the way to do it.

You seem to think that I have some sort of control over how the rating system works. I'm not asking you how to improve the system because it is what it is. I'm asking you what better system is there?

#33 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

You seem to think that I have some sort of control over how the rating system works. I'm not asking you how to improve the system because it is what it is. I'm asking you what better system is there?

You'll have to tell me what options there are if I'm going to be able to make usable suggestions b/c your question doesn't make sense after the first sentence in your post.

#34 LilSmokey

LilSmokey

Master of TL;DR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3249 posts
  • Locationthe SWATS!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

Why shouldn't it be accumulated?In a world where people -1 posts they find generally offensive or otherwise negative, someone who accumulated a bunch would deservedly have a bad reputation. Just like someone who made a bunch of +1 posts. For example, I post a question about decoction mashes, then Mtn posts a response that answers my question perfectly, he gets a +1. However, before that zymological posted some rant about how decoction mashing was a waste of time, and I'm an idiot for even asking about it, he gets a -1. Now let's say that pattern repeats itself 10-20 times. Don't both of the parties deserve the accumulated reputation they've earned?Not that I'd ever post anything about actually brewing beer. I've brewed exactly once in the last year. I'll keg it in April when I get home. :frank:

#35 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:02 AM

Why shouldn't it be accumulated?In a world where people -1 posts they find generally offensive or otherwise negative, someone who accumulated a bunch would deservedly have a bad reputation. Just like someone who made a bunch of +1 posts. For example, I post a question about decoction mashes, then Mtn posts a response that answers my question perfectly, he gets a +1. However, before that zymological posted some rant about how decoction mashing was a waste of time, and I'm an idiot for even asking about it, he gets a -1. Now let's say that pattern repeats itself 10-20 times. Don't both of the parties deserve the accumulated reputation they've earned?Not that I'd ever post anything about actually brewing beer. I've brewed exactly once in the last year. I'll keg it in April when I get home. :frank:

Where is this fantasy land you speak of?

#36 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

Where is this fantasy land you speak of?

I'm a mod on another website (link in sig is you're curious) where rep points works very well. Sometimes there is a "shoot the messenger" mentality where members will neg rep bad news but for the most part, rep points end up where they should.And of course it worked here in this particular case as well. So there's two examples for you.

#37 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

I'm a mod on another website (link in sig is you're curious) where rep points works very well. Sometimes there is a "shoot the messenger" mentality where members will neg rep bad news but for the most part, rep points end up where they should.And of course it worked here in this particular case as well. So there's two examples for you.

You call going from +29 over the entire time I've been posting to -8 in the matter of a couple of days working?ETA: yeup, I just -1 you b/c you are being a dick

#38 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

You call going from +29 over the entire time I've been posting to -8 in the matter of a couple of days working?ETA: yeup, I just -1 you b/c you are being a dick

LOL...don't ask questions that you don't want to hear the answers to. Also note that it would have be from +29 to +28 if you hadn't overreacted.

#39 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:15 AM

LOL...don't ask questions that you don't want to hear the answers to. Also note that it would have be from +29 to +28 if you hadn't overreacted.

you win Mtn.

#40 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

you win Mtn.

Dude why do you even care about the reputation point totals? Want some of mine? (assuming I even have any, I'll have to actually look since I don't really even know) :frank:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users