#1 chauvan

chauvan

Comptroller of Jewish Scuba Divers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Inside the profiles there the reputation thingy. How is this computed? I noticed a member with a -7 and this is not a particular obnoxious member. Thought it seemed kind of weird.

#2 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

See the little green plus and red minus in the lower right corner of posts? You can rate a couple posts a day, up or down. These ratings are cumulative and show up as the reputation in people's profile.

#3 chauvan

chauvan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

See the little green plus and red minus in the lower right corner of posts? You can rate a couple posts a day, up or down. These ratings are cumulative and show up as the reputation in people's profile.

That's what I suspected.

#4 LibraAle

LibraAle

Comptroller of Nuns and Apostles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:43 AM

There's no way to enforce this, but we really should encourage people only to rate someone down for posts that are lacking in civility. Ideally, someone with a low reputation number would look at it and say "Man, I need to change something." If people rate down posts just because they disagree with them, or just jacking around, then it is pointless.

#5 Ret S. York

Ret S. York

pwn*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMooresville / Charlotte

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

There's no way to enforce this, but we really should encourage people only to rate someone down for posts that are lacking in civility. Ideally, someone with a low reputation number would look at it and say "Man, I need to change something." If people rate down posts just because they disagree with them, or just jacking around, then it is pointless.

I agree - I try to vote up posts that demonstrate a great amount of thought and civility, and vote down those that are just trying to stir up crap, regardless of whether or not the post is aligned with my views. While people can't be forced to follow those guidelines, the impact from those that don't can be minimized. First, people can only cast a few reputation votes per day, so the amount of damage that can be done is minimized. Second, if you see a post where points have been given for what is likely the wrong reason, then you can neutralize it with a vote of your own. Third, reputation points within the -5/+5 range are considered neutral. So it seems to me that the impact of shenanigans and votes for the wrong reasons will hopefully be rather small.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

I think we should try to use this. It's much more accurate than the "3 mugs", "4 mugs", "Master Brewer" status you get from just racking up posts. Not sure how someone got a -7 unless it was in the lawless PH. Is the + and - functionality in the PH too? Probably not a good idea in there.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:55 AM

I think we should try to use this. It's much more accurate than the "3 mugs", "4 mugs", "Master Brewer" status you get from just racking up posts. Not sure how someone got a -7 unless it was in the lawless PH. Is the + and - functionality in the PH too? Probably not a good idea in there.

I concur with Ken. I shall now +1 him (first time I've used the feature).

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:08 PM

Hey-o! Now I have a "1"! Whoo-hoo. Maybe there should be a thread on how to best use this. It could easily get schputzed up by people just hitting + all day long, all over the place. I should really hit ZYM with a + right now, but that would make me feel so dirty. :cheers: I love it how on some boards, you're a newbie with 1-10 posts. Then a novice from 11-20, then apprentice (or whatever) from 21-30 and then you're a master brewer from 31 thru 100000000. Nice system there.

#9 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

Is there any easy way to find out what posts of mine gave me reputation one way or another?

#10 LibraAle

LibraAle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

#11 chauvan

chauvan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

but... but... you have a neutral reputation!

#12 LibraAle

LibraAle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

Is there any easy way to find out what posts of mine gave me reputation one way or another?

Next time I'll PM you.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

So if we run it past +127 or -128 do we break the system?......Sorry, I HAD to ask!

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

So if we run it past +127 or -128 do we break the system?......Sorry, I HAD to ask!

Pretty sure that Hokie is already below that.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

This is a very serious post.1. Reputation should only matter in technical sections (beer, mead, wine, etc.).2. Any joking around in those areas should not be tolerated. (-1s all around!)

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

This is a very serious post.1. Reputation should only matter in technical sections (beer, mead, wine, etc.).2. Any joking around in those areas should not be tolerated. (-1s all around!)

I disagree. Rep should matter everywhere. If you don't believe it belongs in the PH, you should at least agree that it belongs in this forum.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

I disagree. Rep should matter everywhere. If you don't believe it belongs in the PH, you should at least agree that it belongs in this forum.

What about point #2?

#18 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:30 AM

What about point #2?

I disagree about that too. There's room in the brewing forums for some joking around. I draw the line at frivolous PH-style posting (BAM!, ZOMG GLOBAL WARMING! and stuff like that) but it shouldn't be dead serious and humorless either. TOS infractions should be dealt with by the mods, not the rating system anyway.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

I disagree about that too. There's room in the brewing forums for some joking around. I draw the line at frivolous PH-style posting (BAM!, ZOMG GLOBAL WARMING! and stuff like that) but it shouldn't be dead serious and humorless either. TOS infractions should be dealt with by the mods, not the rating system anyway.

I thought you said that frivolous content was an example of exactly what the rating system was for? Now you are saying it should just be dealt with by the mods. Which is it?

I disagree. Your first post didn't really add anything to the discussion. And instead of "letting loose" maybe a better course of action would have been to just let it go. You seem to think this is an egregious abuse of the rating system but in fact it is exactly what the rating system was created for. It's a way for the membership to vote on the type of content they prefer to see here. It's not for rules violations. Those should be reported and then handled by the mods. One thing that I don't like about ratings is that there are not nearly enough positive ratings handed out. We're quick to hit the -1 button when we don't like something but we don't give enough positive feedback.

#20 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

I thought you said that frivolous content was an example of exactly what the rating system was for? Now you are saying it should just be dealt with by the mods. Which is it?

I'm saying that the rating system is intended to allow members to express their opinion as to the quality of posts. Whether it actually does that or not is a separate issue. TOS violations should be handled by the mods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users