#21 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

Just finished up an APA which I am calling a Tiny Pliny (OG 1052 and 4 oz of hops). I am pretty conservative with hops so 4 oz is a whole lot for me.

#22 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

Wasn't sure if it was in the cards this weekend - but. Knocked out a 1.063 AIPA with about 50 IBUs Galena FWH, then Cents, Galena and Amarillo all after 20 min. US-05 since I had no slurry or starter..

#23 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

Saturday's Revised RecipeOrange Sunset (first Stab at this style)4.61 lbs. Canadian 2-row4.78 lbs. Canadian Wheat Malt0.14 lbs. Weyermann CaraMunich® II0.4 oz. Amirillo (Whole, 8.5 %AA) boiled 60 min0.49 oz. First Gold (Pellets, 7.5 %AA) boiled 15 min0.50 oz. First Gold (Pellets, 7.5 %AA) boiled 1 minYeast : US-052.0 Oz Sweet Orange Zest At 1 Min1.0 Oz Sweet Orange Zest Added to Secondary Original Gravity 1.047 1.040 - 1.055 100 %Terminal Gravity 1.010 1.008 - 1.013 100 %Color 4.75°SRM 3.00 - 6.00°SRM 100 %Bitterness 22.5 IBU 15.00 - 30.00 IBU 100 %Alcohol (%volume) 4.9 % 4.00 - 5.50 % 100 %Wish me Luck !!!!!!

Edited by nbbeerguy, 02 October 2009 - 03:40 PM.

#24 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:16 PM

Brewing 12G of Smoked Porter tomorrow. It will be split between US05 and WL007.Mashman

#25 MastaMash

MastaMash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

I've got a bunch of centennial and amarillo in the freezer so I'm making an IPA this morning. The mash is on!

#26 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10837 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:34 AM

Since I'm almost out of beer for the masses...I'll be brewing a blonde on Sunday. Not my favorite beer, but good for the lightweights and parties.This will be 2- weeks in a row for brewing! Nice to get back in teh swing.

#27 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

Not brewing this weekend but I will be bottling 7.5 gallons of my Two Hearted clone tomorrow. My fav AIPA ;) Beach

#28 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

30 minutes left in the Hefe mash

#29 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

so pissed...don't know what happened in my mash but i only ended up with an OG of 1.034never happened to me before and i double crushed...this is going to be one LIGHT hefe

#30 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

well architecture school is keeping me ridonculously busy and this is the first chance I've had to brew in a little while - thankfully reserves are still high so the ale continues to flow! Brewing 5G of my Simple Stout, dry stout. Pretty standard except that this will be my first ever kegged batch!!! fridge comes in tomorrow, then I just need the gas. WOOHOOO finally! I bottled hopefully my last batch ever tonight - PITA!!Since I am so short on time these days I am thankful to get the kegs going, when 4 hours means a draft for a design project or bottling a batch and getting my kitchen all messy I tend to go for the drafting - no more!! Keg, pour, drink, draft. ;) hope your brew days go/went awesome!

#31 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:45 AM

well architecture school is keeping me ridonculously busy and this is the first chance I've had to brew in a little while - thankfully reserves are still high so the ale continues to flow! Brewing 5G of my Simple Stout, dry stout. Pretty standard except that this will be my first ever kegged batch!!! fridge comes in tomorrow, then I just need the gas. WOOHOOO finally! I bottled hopefully my last batch ever tonight - PITA!!Since I am so short on time these days I am thankful to get the kegs going, when 4 hours means a draft for a design project or bottling a batch and getting my kitchen all messy I tend to go for the drafting - no more!! Keg, pour, drink, draft. ;) hope your brew days go/went awesome!

Congrats ET. You will never look back after you get the kegging going. You are so right bottling can be a PITA. Hope the Dry Stout goes well, its a nice beer. I need to brew it again myself. Good Luck with schooling and enjoy the kegging its great and so much easier. Mike

#32 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

I'm pretty pissed right now. It took me probably 2 hours to clean out my hot water converted kettle, and then this and that took more time away from me. Looks like I don't have time to go a batch now, particularly this being my first all grain batch. It's bound to take longer than it would most people. Maybe next weekend.

#33 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

Congrats ET. You will never look back after you get the kegging going. You are so right bottling can be a PITA. Hope the Dry Stout goes well, its a nice beer. I need to brew it again myself. Good Luck with schooling and enjoy the kegging its great and so much easier. Mike

Thanks mike!! I miss brewing and being on here with you folks, but when you aren't brewing it's hard to keep contributing! Hopefully I'll be able to keep up a once a month schedule while I am studying, I just can't do the twice a month thing anymore - not for lack of wanting or trying though!I'll let you guys know how it goes, about 10 min. into the mash right now woooohooo this is zen for me haha. Need to brew regularly for sanity if not for the beer itself!

#34 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

I did 10g of american amber and 10g of american brown....was a busy day as I had to clean both fermenators and get the grain measured/ground during the heating of the water. Both beers tasted really nice going into the fermentors....we'll see in a few weeks how they finish out.Jim

#35 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

Finished a British dark mild/stout hybrid, but boiled down the first gallon for some camelizing and pitched wlp028 for a Scottish twist.

#36 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

Just finished an english hopped IPA. hit 1.070 for OG! I was aiming for 1.062 ;) Been getting KILLER efficiency lately ever since i adjusted my mill gap. brewhouse efficiency is at 86% :)

#37 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:16 AM

woo, brewed my stout and all went well except while fly sparging I got a stuck sparge!! :rolf: so I began my troubleshooting, poked around a little with a skewer, gave the tap a gentle tap with a rubber mallet... hmm no dice. Cut the flow from the HLT as it was filling up...hmmmm fooled around for a bit longer then decided I was hopelessly stuck and I'd have to pour the mash through a strainer - damn and blast. Then I realised the plate that I usually float over the top of the mash was suctioned in place and was preventing the flow from continuing! Well, I've done a lot of batches with this exact setup and never had this particular problem but that;s the fun of brewing! Popped the plate out, finished sparging - the grain bed didn't even compress as the pressure held the wort above AND below in place perfectly. Funny stuff, the rest went according to plan, did a shorter 45 min. boil but ended up with a maybe .5 gallon under my target - and a slightly higher gravity as such. Topped off with some cold pure water, pitched some US-05 and put her back. Can't wait to get this once on tap!!!!I changed the ingredients just slightly, bumped up the IBUs to the 40's and also added a few more ounces of roast barley to try and utilize some comments from past judging of this brew. I also used a blend of EKG and cascade for bittering just to play around. :cheers: hope everybody else had a great brew too!

#38 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:28 AM

Might do an oatmeal stout this weekend. I also have an APA that will be at 2 weeks in primary this Sunday so I'll probably transfer that as well while I'm doing stuff.

Kicked my dry stout on Wednesday, kegged the Scottish 80 shilling on Thursday and transferred my APA to secondary. Never got around to making my oatmeal stout. That's slated for Friday now.

#39 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

I ended up making a stout(or in process of ).Mashing now. Hey ET, if you don't already have a CO2 tank check into tank exchange first. When i started kegging i bought a nice $85 tank (it were pretty) and the only place around took tank exchange. Although in the end it does not matter too me, like a used keg i dont see it either that much.

#40 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

Took Kens Grain bill from Cabana Lager.6 Lbs 2 Row1.5 Lbs Vienna Malt1 Lbs Wheat Malt.25 Oz First Gold @ 60 Min.25 Oz First Gold @ 30 Min.25 Oz First Gold @ 15 Min.25 Oz First Gold @ 3 Min1.0 Oz Sweet Tangerine Zest @ 30 Min0.5 Oz Sweet Tangerine Zest @ 15 Min1.0 Oz Sweet Tangerine Zest @ 3 MinSaflager S-23Primary @ 52F Well hope it turns out I coulnd keep it simple im one of those impulse people............hope I didnt ruin it by adding the Tangerine Zest !!!!!!But it did smell very very tasty though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users