#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

Getting a batch in before the weekend since both Saturday and Sunday are packed for us. So a rare weeknight session is in order tonight...I'm brewing a batch of Jim's Brown Bear Ale....it's my Moose Drool clone! Saturday, I'll have a few minutes to take my MLPA to the secondary and use the Super Kleer for the first time.

#2 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8265 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

I'm home sick with the flu, but not too sick to rock out a 10gal batch of Alt. Got my strike water heating up as I type this. Get to try out my fancy new false bottom thanks to a member of our brew club and swagman. He bought the perf stock, put it in a jig, and hit it with the plasma cutter. Edges are smooth as butta. Also made a perfectly centered hole for the diptube. Cost me 40 bucks, what a (ss) steel!

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:26 AM

Might do an oatmeal stout this weekend. I also have an APA that will be at 2 weeks in primary this Sunday so I'll probably transfer that as well while I'm doing stuff.

#4 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

I have plans to brew 10 gal of a hopped up session strength APA - basically at or just under 1.040 with about 15% xtal and a crap-load of hops. Going to clean out my hop stock as I have several pounds of new hops on the way. Also will keg 5 gallons of Munich Helles that I brewed up with a friend for his Oktoberfest party.

#5 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:42 AM

Brewed a 1.061, 25 SRM brown ale yesterday with 5 malts and molasses. Switched to Belgian Chocolate malt- it's quite a bit lighter than the British stuff I've been using and I really like the toasty/less bite-y quality. Brewed 16 bbl based on the 11gal pilot batch that came out wonderful!

#6 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:20 AM

I'm in the middle of the boil on my first overnight mash. Things are not going quite as planned. I lost 12 degrees overnight and even though I set my expected efficiency down by 5%, I'm off by 11 points into the boiler. I think I've messed something up in my BeerSmith settings because the efficiency calc is saying that even though I'm 11 points off, I'm at 78% eff into boiler. Going to boil down longer to make up for part of it... ugh.

#7 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

I'm in the middle of the boil on my first overnight mash. Things are not going quite as planned. I lost 12 degrees overnight and even though I set my expected efficiency down by 5%, I'm off by 11 points into the boiler. I think I've messed something up in my BeerSmith settings because the efficiency calc is saying that even though I'm 11 points off, I'm at 78% eff into boiler. Going to boil down longer to make up for part of it... ugh.

Can you add some DME?

#8 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:37 AM

Can you add some DME?

I don't have any on hand (though this just reinforces why I should). All I have is white and brown sugar.

#9 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

i will be brewing an irish red my good lad.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

I am going to a beer festival at a local brewery that is working to open up on Saturday. I am serving 4 beers. Irish Red, Belgian Tripel, India Brown Ale and Oktoberfest to a crowd of 250 along with some other homebrewers so I am excited for that.In addition I am planning to brew a Weizenbock on Friday night with 3068. Should be a great weekend. Brew em well boys!!

#11 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

I added 1lb dark brown sugar and switched from S05 to 3522 Belgian. I ended up coming within 5 points of where I was shooting for. This is going to be an interesting brew for sure.

#12 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8265 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

After some minor difficulties with the new piece of equipment I'm chilling the Alt as I type. Color was a bit on the light side, I'm hoping the extended boil with darken things up a bit. Also came in a little over target gravity, don't know if it has anything to do with the new FB. I'll be interested to see if the Perle hops I used, instead of Magnums, will add anything significant to the bitterness/flavor profile.

#13 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

Plan on doing my first AG Sunday! Still have a few small projects to finish such as finishing manifolds, get my keg to Swagman to weld in a coupling for hot water tank, weld 2nd turkey fryer burner. That's about it outside of painting brew sculpture, but that can wait if I don't have time.

#14 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

I have to rack my SNPA tribute to secondary so I can brew a 5 gal batch of a Fat Tire clone ive been planning. I hope to have all this done by the weekend... dont want to cut into my fishing time. :scratch:

#15 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

Brewing some ESB and Hefe (Am. Wheat) at Schlafly tomorrow, some more Hefe on Friday, Augusta Bottoms Beer Festival on Saturday and brewing some BrightSide Belgian White on Monday...or 1984 Golden Ale...or Black Sky Stout Porter

#16 pete maz

pete maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationInman, SC

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:54 AM

My wife's been bugging me to brew an Oktoberfest. I plan to knock one out (the Oktoberfest) Saturday morning, hopefully in time to clean up & catch an afternoon of football.

#17 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

Bought my grain for a Hefe and a Dunkel last night...nice to not have to use a 2ndary on these so maybe i can double the brew day on saturday...oh wait Ineed to harvest the yeast from the first one...DAMN

#18 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:59 AM

My Frankenstein creation from my first overnight mash on Tues/Wed is bubbling away in the basement. Planning on knocking out 10gal of Porter on Saturday to get ready for the cold months ahead.

#19 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

Mostly going to rain here friday,saturday. Next day is monday for me, dreaming of a porter also.Only 5.5 gallons though.

#20 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

The brewery is packed for the impending move so no brewing for me :D This weekend will be pressing grapes. 150lbs of Colorado grown Syrah. Nothing quite like getting buzzed on 14 day old wine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users