#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

Interesting. Haven't heard this. What is the benefit? Why does it work better?

The explanation that makes the most sense to me is that yeast builds up nutrients before it goes dormant. If you warm the yeast up before using it, it begins using up those nutrients before it gets into the wort. By pitching cold, all the nutrients are available in the wort.EDIT: damn, just saw that I said that same thing a month ago!

Edited by denny, 26 October 2009 - 10:16 AM.

#22 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

The explanation that makes the most sense to me is that yeast builds up nutrients before it goes dormant. If you warm the yeast up before using it, it begins using up those nutrients before it gets into the wort. By pitching cold, all the nutrients are available in the wort.EDIT: damn, just saw that I said that same thing a month ago!

Good information deserves being repeated! :facepalm:

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:32 PM

Well, it's kind of you to say that!

#24 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

Leave it to CJ to be magnanimous. All I was going to offer was the obligatory 'senior moment' comment. :facepalm:

#25 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

Just finished up brewing my Belgian IPA tonight and decided to try the cold pitching method. I pitched at 64-65 degrees with the plan to ferment at 68 degrees. I pitched 3522. I will check on it tonight but will have to see what action is happening when I get up in the morning. This is the first time I removed the yeast right from the fridge and pitched, normally I have let it warm up a bit too. We will see what kinda results I get this go around. The only problem is that yeast was more of a blob and not as liquid and easily pourable. Oh well got it in there and aerated as well. We will see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users