#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

This is why I love you guys. I first heard about cold pitching on this board, about a month ago. I've pitched the yeast for my last two batches straight out of the fridge. Both batches have taken off faster than any batch I've done before. They've both shown signs of activity within about 3 hours. Not having to remember to take the yeast out of the fridge is just one more hassle avoided on brew day. :)

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

+1

#3 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Interesting. Haven't heard this. What is the benefit? Why does it work better?

#4 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:12 AM

I have been doing this for a couple of years, mostly because i try to re-use a slurry of yeasties if i have them on hand. Basically ,your introducing your yeast into a nice warm environment that is hopefully sterile and they can dominate.Going from forty degrees to sixty degrees(my wort target) really awakens the yeast.That is my un-scientific view.

Edited by Kegdude, 27 September 2009 - 03:13 AM.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:26 AM

Apparently, there is some literature out there that explains it, but I haven't seen it yet. There's a post in the FAQ section about it that CJ put together, although it doesn't have any detailed scientific explanation.FAQ

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

I do it - it works.

#7 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

I do it - it works.

Yup, me too, and that's a fact jack.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

The basic theory is that yeast builds up nutrient reserves. If you warm the yeast before using it, it starts to consume those reserves before it goes into the wort. By pitching cooler yeast into warmer wort, the reserves aren't used until the yeast is in the wort.

#9 Iceman

Iceman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

Yes, it works great. CJ turned me on to it years ago - haven't looked back. He's a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47988 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

I do it on the rare occasion I use liquid. It works. I'm not sure why.

#11 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

I really find Denny's theory compelling.This is just speculation, but based on what I've heard about "shocking" the yeast, and how it's really only a problem if you pitch warm yeast into a cooler liquid (and not the converse: cool yeast into a warm liquid), by pitching cool you would pretty much avoid shocking the yeast altogether.

#12 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

Whatever the reason, I know it works.

#13 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

The basic theory is that yeast builds up nutrient reserves. If you warm the yeast before using it, it starts to consume those reserves before it goes into the wort. By pitching cooler yeast into warmer wort, the reserves aren't used until the yeast is in the wort.

Makes sense. Plus the yeast are likely in an environment that doesn't support growth when they are in the tube/slurry. They are crowded and the wort is likely exhausted. Warm them up and they'd probably just wake up and then go dormant at temp. Pitching cold they'd wake up in a wort that encourages growth.

#14 maxieboy

maxieboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Took my cue from the practice of a microbrewery I used to work at. They took slurry from the bottom of cold crashed fermenters and pitched directly to fresh wort. The pros do it, why not us?

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

Makes sense. Plus the yeast are likely in an environment that doesn't support growth when they are in the tube/slurry. They are crowded and the wort is likely exhausted. Warm them up and they'd probably just wake up and then go dormant at temp. Pitching cold they'd wake up in a wort that encourages growth.

Thanks, man....I was beginning to wonder if I'd really posted! :)

#16 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

Uh, not working here. I pitched 3 week old slurry of wyeast 3522 Ardennes into 64 deg 18P wort. Took the mason jar out of the fridge, had about 1 inch of slurry, shook it all up to suspend, and pitched at 3pm yesterday. Todasy, still no signs. I have more to pitch if I need to, so I am not too worried- however I did not experience the famed faster than normal or rigorous fermentation this is supposed to give.

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

I don't know what you're normally pitching, but that seems like a little bit low of a pitch rate to me. I took a look at a mason jar, and I'd guess that 1" is approximately 150 mL. I've heard that harvested slurries lose about 25% viability/week, so you're probably under 50% viability. Let's be conservative and assume a 50% viability. Using Jamil's calculator, the recommendation is 250 mL of slurry for 5.5 gallons and 500 mL for 11 gallons.I don't know what your batch size is, you were probably too low on pitch rate which is extending your lag time.

#18 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

I just got a stir plate and used my first started from it today. Based on this thread I left the starter in the fridge until time to pitch. I decanted more than half the beer of the starter until it started to look cloudy and then pitched everything else. I see activity after only 2 hours where in the past with rehydrated dry yeast it would take overnight.Cold pitching from now on!

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

I just got a stir plate and used my first started from it today. Based on this thread I left the starter in the fridge until time to pitch. I decanted more than half the beer of the starter until it started to look cloudy and then pitched everything else. I see activity after only 2 hours where in the past with rehydrated dry yeast it would take overnight.Cold pitching from now on!

I don't know if comparing liquid yeast with a starter to dry yeast is really a fair comparison but a 2 hour lag time is pretty solid so I'd say keep doing what you are doing!

#20 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

I've making starters and cold pitching for about 9 months and I have very fast starts to my fermentations. I recently picked up a mini fridge, addded a temp controller, and put my stirplate inside. Now I have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber dedicated to yeast starters. After the starter ferments out, I turn off the stirplate and turn down the fridge. By the time I'm ready to pitch I just decant and serve. :) Beach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users