#21 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64067 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

really I paid like 2 bucks for a bag of yeast nutrients that will last me 10 years.

I'm talking about the White Labs Servomyces, It's like $10 for 6 tablets, each of which is enough for 5 gallons.

#22 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

I'm talking about the White Labs Servomyces, It's like $10 for 6 tablets, each of which is enough for 5 gallons.

Save yer money.Go to Costco, but a half kilo brick of Red Star bread yeast.Throw a tablespoon in the boil after hot break forms.Oh, and you can also use it to bake bread.

#23 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Brewtown, WI, USA

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:18 PM

Save yer money.Go to Costco, but a half kilo brick of Red Star bread yeast.Throw a tablespoon in the boil after hot break forms.Oh, and you can also use it to bake bread.

That's an amazing idea... COSTCO TRIP!

#24 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

Yep all you need is some dead yeast cells. boiling some dry yeast would definitely work good seeing thats all that yeast hulls are. I am starting to use yeast hulls everytime i make a starter or rehydrate dry yeast. I've had good success so far and it seems to reduce lag time.

#25 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

I do have this little bag of wb-06 thats been sitting pretty for a year. might as well use it up as yeast food. Hard to believe those little buggers would be cannibals though :blink:

#26 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14730 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:39 AM

Yeah, but you aren't getting the zinc that way. Zinc is one of the reasons that the servo product makes your yeast go nuts

#27 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

Can I just toss in a ground up Centrum for men and call it a day? :)

#28 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25603 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

I admit this is anecdotal, but my observations consistently tell me Servomyces is excellent stuff. I get good strong ferments when I use it. From what I have seen, it has more influence on fermentation than dosing wort with O2.Then again, with all the time and effort I put into each batch of beer, I do not get wigged out over spending an "extra" $2.00-$3.00 per batch to help insure a quality bottle of beer.

#29 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64067 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:35 AM

I admit this is anecdotal, but my observations consistently tell me Servomyces is excellent stuff. I get good strong ferments when I use it. From what I have seen, it has more influence on fermentation than dosing wort with O2.Then again, with all the time and effort I put into each batch of beer, I do not get wigged out over spending an "extra" $2.00-$3.00 per batch to help insure a quality bottle of beer.

Nor do I, but there are about 10 things that cost $2-$3 per batch that lots of people say make a huge difference. It just adds up. Ingredient cost for me is generally less than $25 for 10 gallons. Adding 20%, 30%, 40% to my ingredient cost for something of questionable utility is hard to swallow.Are you really having problems with strong fermentations without the Servo? That's why I have a hard time believing it will really help that much. My fermentations are going as expected without it.

#30 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25603 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

Are you really having problems with strong fermentations without the Servo? That's why I have a hard time believing it will really help that much. My fermentations are going as expected without it.

I do not use it every batch. I tend to save them for high gravity beers when I want to give it my best shot. Again anecdotal, it seems I like the beers I have made with lesser qty of yeast plus Servomyces than big ass yeast cakes and no servomyces.If you find yourself in a situation where making a starter is not in your time frame, a vial or smackpack plus Servomyces would not be a disaster.zymot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users