#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

Anyone had any luck with Super Kleer as a clarifying agent? I picked up some over lunch at my LHBS and the guy there said it's amazing. Do you add it to the secondary? I would imagine you have to use it post primary or it will drop your yeast.

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

Anyone had any luck with Super Kleer as a clarifying agent? I picked up some over lunch at my LHBS and the guy there said it's amazing. Do you add it to the secondary? I would imagine you have to use it post primary or it will drop your yeast.

You don't need to add it to the secondary, only after your beer is done fermenting.I used it once in a beer. It was sparkling in 24 hours.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

Never used it. Sounds interesting. Let us know the results.

#4 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

You don't need to add it to the secondary, only after your beer is done fermenting.I used it once in a beer. It was sparkling in 24 hours.

So I should add it to the keg and then rack the beer into the keg?

#5 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

So I should add it to the keg and then rack the beer into the keg?

No, I would add it to the fermenter.What I meant by my previous statement is that you don't need to rack the beer to a secondary or anything. Add the finings right to the fermenter, after the beer is done fermenting.

#6 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

No, I would add it to the fermenter.What I meant by my previous statement is that you don't need to rack the beer to a secondary or anything. Add the finings right to the fermenter, after the beer is done fermenting.

I use a secondary 95% of time, except for my wheats. More for aging purposes and some for clarifying. Mostly now because I now keg and want to get my beers into a long-term storage vessel. So I can add this to the secondary and it will clarify. I use Whirlfloc too. I want 95% of my beers crystal clear but am too lazy to filter!

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

Chad: Let us know how it works. At this point, I use a gel solution (in secondary) on every beer I make. I can get pretty clear beer with it but I'd always be interested in something that works even better. I think I've seen this stuff before in small packets. Is it kept cold or at room temp? I remember picking up isinglass and it had to be kept cold. Keep us posted!

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

Chad: Let us know how it works. At this point, I use a gel solution (in secondary) on every beer I make. I can get pretty clear beer with it but I'd always be interested in something that works even better. I think I've seen this stuff before in small packets. Is it kept cold or at room temp? I remember picking up isinglass and it had to be kept cold. Keep us posted!

Yea I would also like to hear the results....i also use gelatin and it usually works pretty well...however the pale I have in the 2ndary right now is being really stubborn. My only thought is that the beer hasn't warmed up enough to drop out the solution or something? There has been cold weather here in Denver so the area I keep my 2ndary has been below 70 so since the beer was chilled down to 40 or so before racking its not warming up...

#9 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

see the issue I see with that method is contaminating the yeast if you intend to reuse the cake which I normally do.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

For those who like to use a primary and no secondary, I could see this working... although I don't like it. I secondary everything for a few reasons. If I want to get my hands on the yeast in primary, I need to put the beer in primary someplace, which is secondary. It can sit there for a looong time and clarify. Plus, you can add finings and get it clearer. I agree that adding something like this to the primary and then reusing the yeast may be a little dicey. I'd like to hear from someone who adds finings to the primary and then reuses the yeast. I'm not saying that it's a deal-breaker, but I've never done it.

#11 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:19 PM

I use a secondary 95% of time, except for my wheats. More for aging purposes and some for clarifying. Mostly now because I now keg and want to get my beers into a long-term storage vessel. So I can add this to the secondary and it will clarify. I use Whirlfloc too. I want 95% of my beers crystal clear but am too lazy to filter!

see the issue I see with that method is contaminating the yeast if you intend to reuse the cake which I normally do.

Yeah, if you're reusing the yeast, it might not be a good idea to add finings to the primary...I dunno though.But, for those that don't reuse, it makes sense to leave it in one vessel, clear it up, and then keg. There is no added benefit in using a secondary over aging your beer in a keg. In fact, I would say it's inferior, especially if you don't purge your carboy with CO2 beforehand.

#12 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:12 AM

For my purposes I'll use it in the secondary. I usually primary ferment for 7-10 days and secondary ferment for the another 5-7 days or until space opens up in the kegerator. I'm brewing some of Ken's MLPA on Sunday and will add it to the secondary. I'll report my results back!

#13 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

Just as a follow up on my experience with the Super Kleer...I haven't been impressed. I added it to the secondary of the MLPA, it sat in my secondary for 6 days and then I kegged it. My MLPA has been kegged and cold for two weeks and it's still very hazy. And I even added Whirlfloc tablets to the boil. Did I add the Super Kleer at the right time? Thinking I maybe should try adding it to the keg instead?

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:48 AM

Just as a follow up on my experience with the Super Kleer...I haven't been impressed. I added it to the secondary of the MLPA, it sat in my secondary for 6 days and then I kegged it. My MLPA has been kegged and cold for two weeks and it's still very hazy. And I even added Whirlfloc tablets to the boil. Did I add the Super Kleer at the right time? Thinking I maybe should try adding it to the keg instead?

Buddy: Can't comment on it because I haven't used it. For me, Whirfloc + Good Chill + secondary time = clear beer. Btw... how did the MLPA come out? Better now that it's got more carb? Hope so. Cheers.

#15 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:52 AM

I've never used Super Kleer for beer but I have used it in wine and it works VERY well.Did you add the Kieselsol packet first mix and then add the Chitosan packet?Was the beer you put into the keg clear prior to chilling?

#16 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

I'm with you I think...I'll go back to the old way because that way wasn't broke, and I tried to fix it for whatever reason!MLPA is a new beer! It just wasn't carbed enough. I had several pulls from the keg last night as I watched the Eagles/Redskins cover the over for me!

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

I'm with you I think...I'll go back to the old way because that way wasn't broke, and I tried to fix it for whatever reason!MLPA is a new beer! It just wasn't carbed enough. I had several pulls from the keg last night as I watched the Eagles/Redskins cover the over for me!

Excellent... glad to hear it. Btw... I had the Skins +7½ and lost that one. :) But still won my weekly pool by 1 point! :facepalm: Cheers.

#18 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14730 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

I'd be interested in the performance, but $1.89 per brew? That's kind of high. Gelatin is extremely cheap.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

Damn, $1.89 per batch? That's like those ridiculous yeast nutrients, they're like a $1.50/5 gallons.

#20 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:04 PM

Damn, $1.89 per batch? That's like those ridiculous yeast nutrients, they're like a $1.50/5 gallons.

really I paid like 2 bucks for a bag of yeast nutrients that will last me 10 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users