23 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

I dunno. Just a shot in the dark. I doubt it would be able to recover the beer, but it might give you some info about the flaw. If the problem is that the pH of the finished beer is too low, then raising the pH might get rid of the acrid taste.

looking back at my notes I would expect the pH to be too high since I went over the 300 RA limit.

#22 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

Is there any reason you can't measure the pH of the beer next time you open one?

#23 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48103 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

Is there any reason you can't measure the pH of the beer next time you open one?

The carbonic acid from carbonation will lower pH quite a bit, I think. Shake all the CO2 out first, though, and I'd think it would work. Might be a valuable data point.Now who knows what the pH of finished stout is supposed to be?

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

The carbonic acid from carbonation will lower pH quite a bit, I think. Shake all the CO2 out first, though, and I'd think it would work. Might be a valuable data point.Now who knows what the pH of finished stout is supposed to be?

There isn't much left now! It's actually starting to taste better to me now that it's almost gone - or maybe I'm just getting used to it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users