36 replies to this topic

#21 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

here's a link to his recipehttps://www.brew365....illa_porter.phpand the spices I am considering for my xmas beer are:VanillaNutmegCinnamonMaceAllspiceothers I don't think I am going to use are (cloves and ginger went into the Pumpkin brew so I am going to leave them out): ClovesGingerCardamom

for once i have almost everything on hand, the yeast is a problem because of transit time being shipped(why i like dry yeast)but thanks for the link, lets see 93 days to xmas. if i hurry, yep :cussing:

#22 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

for once i have almost everything on hand, the yeast is a problem because of transit time being shipped(why i like dry yeast)but thanks for the link, lets see 93 days to xmas. if i hurry, yep :cussing:

heh well look at the end of page 1 I guess Brew365 posted the wrong recipe...Denny posted the right one

#23 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:38 PM

Hey guys, Quick Question,I was also considering putting vanillain my X-mas beer. I did 10 gals so I'm gonna do 5 straight and 5 with vanilla, or oak, or both. When you guys say you split the vanilla bean and scrape it, do you keep what you scrapped, or do you toss it?Thanks!

#24 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

heh well look at the end of page 1 I guess Brew365 posted the wrong recipe...Denny posted the right one

please link to the right one, all i see is one recipe

#25 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8917 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:03 PM

post #19

#26 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

post #19

Damn, i copied and pasted the other one and missed this one completely. glad for the change, i have all this on hand including us-05.

#27 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hey guys, Quick Question,I was also considering putting vanillain my X-mas beer. I did 10 gals so I'm gonna do 5 straight and 5 with vanilla, or oak, or both. When you guys say you split the vanilla bean and scrape it, do you keep what you scrapped, or do you toss it?Thanks!

Add the bean and all scraped contents to the fermenter. You are just scraping the inside to expose more and get better/more efficient extraction.

#28 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

This might have been brought up already but anyone have any issues with pitching sugar-free vanilla extract into the keg and then rack the beer on top? And then flavor to taste...

#29 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

This might have been brought up already but anyone have any issues with pitching sugar-free vanilla extract into the keg and then rack the beer on top? And then flavor to taste...

I think the answers lies in what type of extract are you using? Is it an American imitation extract or is it a good natural one?

#30 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

I think the answers lies in what type of extract are you using? Is it an American imitation extract or is it a good natural one?

I'd use the best natural one I could find...

#31 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

I'd use the best natural one I could find...

It would probably end up cheaper if you used real vanilla bean...which is what Denny suggested on the first page...i also posted a link to a place that sells beans rather cheap online. They also have natural extract, vanilla paste, vanilla powder, etc...

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

Obviously I couldn't try every extract out there, but I tried maybe 4-5 different ones. I found I preferred the taste of beans over any of the extracts I tried. YMMV.

#33 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:14 AM

I've never brewed with vanilla beans so I'm far from an expert, I just have a hard time believing they provide a really creamy vanilla aroma/flavor. Am I wrong?

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

I've never brewed with vanilla beans so I'm far from an expert, I just have a hard time believing they provide a really creamy vanilla aroma/flavor. Am I wrong?

Creamy??? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that description of vanilla.

#35 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

Creamy??? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that description of vanilla.

Creamy doesn't come to mind either in the use of vanilla but I would say it adds some mouth feel which in a way I guess could be perceived as creamy.

#36 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

Just got my beans from beanilla.com in the mail. They look great and I can tell they are moist and flexible through the vacuum seal. Won't be able to smell them til i brew up b/c i want to keep them sealed. The bourbon ones are about 6-7 inches long and the Tahitian are about 8-9 inches long and very fat. From the looks of them it looks like that website is great. Ordered them on Tuesday so it only took 3 days to ship from Michigan.

#37 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

I think we do a lot of taste asscociation with our eyes, and for the most part, (besides casks and liquor) vanilla is usually consumed in a creamy product- ice cream, cake, cannollis). So although the mouthfeel of the beer may not change- the perceived mouthfeel may, especially in a porter or stout. I made a maple BVIP a couple years ago when I first saw your recipe, and a buddy of mine nicknmaed it the "flapjack" beer. Said it taste like eating a stack of flapjacks- his association to it. Now he keeps asking- when you gonna make that flapjack beer again?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users