#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

So I am trying to put together a Winter/Christmas brew recipe to prepare in the coming weeks and I know I am going to use Vanilla beans. I just ordered some Bourbon and Tahitian Vanilla beans that I am going to use for a more complex vanilla/fruity flavor. The best resource out there that I found at like 100 different message boards (damn Denny you are on ALL of them) is Denny's Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter. Although I am going to try that one at some time I am not trying to go imperial with this winter brew, I'd rather be able to have 2-3 rather then getting knocked on my butt from one. The recipe will probably be something like a porter or maybe a little lighter but it will incorporate chocolate and crystal malts. According to that recipe Denny adds two vanilla beans slit/scraped/cut up straight to the 2ndary. With the alcohol content in the Imperial I can see how not going an extra step to sterilize the vanilla pods isn't really a problem, but will it be in a brew that is more 5-6% ABV?What are some other successful ways of brewing with vanilla beans? I know last year I added one to the boil and it did practically nothing...but I have 10 beans coming (only about $1/pod) and I don't really have any other uses for them. I would like a nice rounded vanilla flavor and I will probably add some sort of spice mixture on top of it. So maybe some in the boil and the 2ndary? What says the blue board?

#2 Rustybrew

Rustybrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:12 PM

I'd definitely go into the secondary with them. You could soak them in a little booze if you wanted, but I wouldn't lose any sleep putting them straight in.I liked the idea of the Imperial Porter, but I am the same as you with wanting to be able to have two or three in one sitting. I bumped the malt bill down using roughly the same percentages and it turned out great.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54469 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

I have used vodka or spiced rum like Captain Morgans or Bacardi Spice to soak the beans first. You end up with a sort of homemade vanilla extract and you can pour that into the secondary and then rack the beer on top. I think the spiced rum route would work well in a Christmas beer. My experience with the beans is that the vary wildly in strength. Sometimes 3 is not enough, next time 2 is too much. Freshness, country of origin, etc. play a part. Your process is right... split them, scrape out the Schputz® and cut up the beans so the flavor will come out. Put all of that into a container, add spiced rum and let it soak and then pour ALL of that into the secondary. I have some beans and considered some sort of Holiday Ale made with vanilla beans and some cinnamon in the secondary. Cheers and good luck.

#4 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:03 PM

I follow a similar process that Ken described. I have done a choco vanilla porter many times and have found 2 beans split, scraped and cut into smaller bits and soaked in vodka for a few days pulls out a lot of flavor and then I just strain through a sterilized coffee filter (soak in starsan). I add mine directly into my keg before I carbonate and it has always been a crowd pleaser.

#5 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I have def herd that bout the strength of beans, so I will see how they look when they get here in the mail, I ordered them from www.beanilla.com which from a few friends I have herd they have a good product. I am excited about the possibility of flavor combination from the 2 different beans. The bourbon vanilla bean is the typical flavor you expect when you hear vanilla but the tahitian bean seems to be more complex. Here is the write up about it:

Tahitian Vanilla beans are generally shorter, plumper, and contain a much higher oil and water content than Bourbon beans. The aroma is flowery, fruity and anisic with a smooth flavor. They are often described as smelling like licorice, cherries, or wine. Gourmet and pastry chefs love to work with the Tahitensis variety, which is perfect for many applications. Our Tahitian Beans are A-Grade and will suit all your baking needs

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54469 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

If they're moist and flexible, it seems better. Some seem more dry and brittle when you touch them. I ordered some once and they came in a glass tube like you light see a cigar come in. The tube was capped and the beans seemed very fresh and aromatic.

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:59 PM

Here is the write up about it:

Those sound good, where is your source for these at a buck a pod? I have made Denny's many times, and I usually add 2 beans soaked in bourbon, but I have added them straight with no alcohol, no worries. Ironically I have a batch of jimvy's QSS that I will be adding some vanilla to, but I am going with just 1 pod in the secondary, not looking for a very noticable flavor, more of a subtle balance.

#8 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

No kidding, at a buck a pod I am curious how they turn out as I am getting his at nearly 3 bucks for one at my LHBS.

#9 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14795 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

No kidding, at a buck a pod I am curious how they turn out as I am getting his at nearly 3 bucks for one at my LHBS.

If I was going to use vanilla beans, I would buy from a very reputable source for spices, like Penzeys.comLove that place. Just got some cocoa powder in from them today that smells AWESOME!

#10 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:05 AM

www.beanilla.com

#11 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14795 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

www.beanilla.com

Don't know anything about them, but I'm sure they are good since Vanilla is their business. They are cheaper than Penzeys. I was primarily just advising against those buying at the LHBS or the grocery store.

#12 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

Denny's BVIP is the shiznit. One of my personal favorites that makes an annual appearance in my tap lineup. I've used beans in a number of beers and a couple meads now. I can second all the advice given thus far. I split and scrape the beans and mix with vodka if it's going in a mead or bourbon if it's going in beer. Never had a contamination issue. From my experience vanilla beans don't give a real vanilla flavor as much as they magnify other flavors. In my BVIP people usually ask how I got all that chocolate flavor in there before they ask 'Is that vanilla?'. When chocolate malt is present I've found it really pulls out the chocolate flavor. When I want vanilla vanilla flavor I use medium toast french oak.Vanilla beans are pretty finicky though so I'll toss in the caveat YMMV.

#13 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:30 AM

Don't know anything about them, but I'm sure they are good since Vanilla is their business. They are cheaper than Penzeys. I was primarily just advising against those buying at the LHBS or the grocery store.

Yea, I have known 2 people (bakers) who have bought from here...they said it was a good product...I'll try to post back when I get them in a few days.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

The best resource out there that I found at like 100 different message boards (damn Denny you are on ALL of them)

I lead a boring life....

is Denny's Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter. Although I am going to try that one at some time I am not trying to go imperial with this winter brew, I'd rather be able to have 2-3 rather then getting knocked on my butt from one. The recipe will probably be something like a porter or maybe a little lighter but it will incorporate chocolate and crystal malts. According to that recipe Denny adds two vanilla beans slit/scraped/cut up straight to the 2ndary. With the alcohol content in the Imperial I can see how not going an extra step to sterilize the vanilla pods isn't really a problem, but will it be in a brew that is more 5-6% ABV?

I don't think that will really matter a lot. You could always do a tincture by soaking them in alcohol, but again I really don't think it's necessary.

#15 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8917 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

from Beanilla.com-

Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter by Denny Conn This recipe is from the brewing legend Denny Conn. If you like Bourbon, Vanilla and Beer then this recipe is you. It's a homebrewers favorite!

Denny, Inc. has its fingers in every pie!

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

from Beanilla.com-Denny, Inc. has its fingers in every pie!

Yeah....if they only paid me! They didn't even send me any free product!

#17 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

Yeah....if they only paid me! They didn't even send me any free product!

is your recipe on this board? couldn't find it. and as you like flavored beers, what spices do you consider xmas like?

#18 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

is your recipe on this board? couldn't find it. and as you like flavored beers, what spices do you consider xmas like?

here's a link to his recipehttps://www.brew365....illa_porter.phpand the spices I am considering for my xmas beer are:VanillaNutmegCinnamonMaceAllspiceothers I don't think I am going to use are (cloves and ginger went into the Pumpkin brew so I am going to leave them out): ClovesGingerCardamom

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

here's a link to his recipehttps://www.brew365....illa_porter.php

That's the wrong recipe! Damn, this happens all the time! Here's the right one...#264 Bourbon Vanilla Imperial PorterA ProMash Recipe ReportRecipe Specifics----------------Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00Total Grain (Lbs): 17.75Anticipated OG: 1.086 Plato: 20.58Anticipated SRM: 45.4Anticipated IBU: 31.8Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %Wort Boil Time: 70 MinutesPre-Boil Amounts----------------Evaporation Rate: 1.50 Gallons Per HourPre-Boil Wort Size: 6.75 GalPre-Boil Gravity: 1.063 SG 15.52 PlatoGrain/Extract/Sugar % Amount Name Origin Potential SRM----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 62.0 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2 8.5 1.50 lbs. Brown Malt Great Britain 1.032 70 2.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40 14.1 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt (Durst) Germany 1.037 10 5.6 1.00 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120 7.0 1.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.Hops Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 0.65 oz. Magnum-Domestic Whole 15.00 29.2 60 min. 0.40 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 6.00 2.6 10 min.Extras Amount Name Type Time-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil) Yeast-----WY1450, WY1056, US-05Mash Schedule-------------Mash Name: Total Grain Lbs: 17.75Total Water Qts: 23.00 - Before Additional InfusionsTotal Water Gal: 5.75 - Before Additional InfusionsTun Thermal Mass: 0.13Grain Temp: 65.00 F Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse InfuseStep Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio---------------------------------------------------------------------------------sacc 0 60 155 155 Infuse 172 23.00 1.30Total Water Qts: 23.00 - After Additional InfusionsTotal Water Gal: 5.75 - After Additional InfusionsTotal Mash Volume Gal: 7.17 - After Additional InfusionsAll temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.All infusion amounts are in Quarts.All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

Ya know, for all the notoriety of that recipe, I really prefer beer flavored beers! My favorite Christmas beer is SN Celebration!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users