#201 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

I guess at this point I'm not trying to "prove" anything to anyone other than myself, and post the results for others who want to try it for themselves.  To me, what's special about the method is that I've made two batches of beer that were at least as good and more easily made than the same beers using my previous method. 

I think that is a fair enough approach when it comes to yourself.  if you are going to make claims of improved vitality I think there needs to be some real experiments to back that up.

for me - I like the ease of the method and I'm happy how beer #1 turned out.  there may be something I personally like about having the yeast go through more growth in terms of the flavors that produces.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 08 November 2015 - 11:39 AM.

#202 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:40 AM

so is anyone even still thinking about this or was it a flash in the pan so to speak?

#203 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

so is anyone even still thinking about this or was it a flash in the pan so to speak?

Still thinking about it but the issue for me is I like to overbuild my starters and save some. Hard to do that with this method.

#204 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

Yep, I intend to keep doing it until I find a case where it doesn't work.

#205 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:31 AM

Yep, I intend to keep doing it until I find a case where it doesn't work.

how many times have you done it now?  any out of the ordinary samples in there?

#206 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

how many times have you done it now?  any out of the ordinary samples in there?

Only twice so far...one ale and one lager.  I have a bunch of sample of Imperial yeast to try out and they generally don't need starters.  After I go through those, I'll go back to the "new" starter procedure.

#207 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

Only twice so far...one ale and one lager.  I have a bunch of sample of Imperial yeast to try out and they generally don't need starters.  After I go through those, I'll go back to the "new" starter procedure.

I thought you brewed all the time with your zymatic???  ;)

#208 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:43 AM

I thought you brewed all the time with your zymatic???  ;)

I wish!  I'm so busy these days that I actually brew less than I did when I was working!

#209 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:26 AM

I have done this on 3-4 ales recently.  I was reluctant but gave it a go.  All in all it has worked out well.  Fast starts and no issues with the beer.  I will be doing my first lager with it this week.  I worry about timing for high krausen but that seems to not matter that much.  I know last nights was not at high but it was bubbling away this morning. 

#210 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

I've done an ale and a lager.  both turned out great.  my most recent ale used it as well but it's still fermenting so I won't know for a little while.

#211 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

I have done this on 3-4 ales recently.  I was reluctant but gave it a go.  All in all it has worked out well.  Fast starts and no issues with the beer.  I will be doing my first lager with it this week.  I worry about timing for high krausen but that seems to not matter that much.  I know last nights was not at high but it was bubbling away this morning. 

I haven't done it any other way since the first time I tried it.  It seems that as long as you're in the ballpark of high krausen it's close enough.

#212 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:28 AM

I haven't done it any other way since the first time I tried it.  It seems that as long as you're in the ballpark of high krausen it's close enough.

I still like a regular starter to overbuild to save some yeast but I can get over that and just re-use the slurry ( part of it that is).

#213 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:29 AM

I still like a regular starter to overbuild to save some yeast but I can get over that and just re-use the slurry ( part of it that is).

Yeah, that's what I do.  I split the slurry into 2-3 containers and either use it directly or take part of it for a starter, depending on the age of the slurry.

#214 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

Yeah, that's what I do.  I split the slurry into 2-3 containers and either use it directly or take part of it for a starter, depending on the age of the slurry.

when does the clock start for "slurry age"?

#215 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

when does the clock start for "slurry age"?

The day I harvest it. I tend to use it "as is" up to maybe 3 weeks- a month. After that, I usually use 2-3 Tbsp. of it to make a new starter.  Usually....sometimes the laziness gets so strong that I use it as is anyway.

#216 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

The day I harvest it. I tend to use it "as is" up to maybe 3 weeks- a month. After that, I usually use 2-3 Tbsp. of it to make a new starter.  Usually....sometimes the laziness gets so strong that I use it as is anyway.

This will be a stupid questions but for the 2-3 Tbsps do you just use a regular old sanitized tablespoon and dump it into the starter?

#217 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:50 AM

This will be a stupid questions but for the 2-3 Tbsps do you just use a regular old sanitized tablespoon and dump it into the starter?

when I mentioned this on the Q&A show, Drew asked me that.  But I just guesstimate it.  He couldn't believe I wasn't more precise!  Hey, it's homebrew and close enough is close enough.

#218 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

when I mentioned this on the Q&A show, Drew asked me that.  But I just guesstimate it.  He couldn't believe I wasn't more precise!  Hey, it's homebrew and close enough is close enough.

Thanks , that would be easier.

#219 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

well that's interesting to know.  I plan on racking my current beer using 1450 after about 2 weeks in the primary.  at this point I'll save some of the slurry for a batch I was planning on brewing about 1 week after that.  how many quarts of slurry would you be looking to save for 10 gal of 1.065 beer?  this slurry will have a decent amount of hop matter in it if that matters.

my initial plan was to make another shaken not stirred starter using 1-2 pints of slurry but not making a starter sounds a lot easier :D

#220 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:41 AM

well that's interesting to know.  I plan on racking my current beer using 1450 after about 2 weeks in the primary.  at this point I'll save some of the slurry for a batch I was planning on brewing about 1 week after that.  how many quarts of slurry would you be looking to save for 10 gal of 1.065 beer?  this slurry will have a decent amount of hop matter in it if that matters.

my initial plan was to make another shaken not stirred starter using 1-2 pints of slurry but not making a starter sounds a lot easier :D

I'd use about half the slurry you harvest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users