#61 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

I can't believe so many people fall for the old "pils malt needs a 90 min. boil" myth.  I've been saying for over a dozen years that 60 min. is fine.  I may try even less next time.  So much "information" that homebrewers use is based on lit that's either outdated or not even researched.  People just parrot the "conventional wisdom".

#62 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

I can't believe so many people fall for the old "pils malt needs a 90 min. boil" myth.  I've been saying for over a dozen years that 60 min. is fine.  I may try even less next time.  So much "information" that homebrewers use is based on lit that's either outdated or not even researched.  People just parrot the "conventional wisdom".

For me it was one particular host of a brewing podcast that kept repeating it over and over again.

#63 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

For me it was one particular host of a brewing podcast that kept repeating it over and over again.

well this and a reason is given and I'm not generally willing to experiment with my time and effort like that.  there are all kinds of things I accept without proving them myself.  I'm not sure why this would be any different.

#64 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

well this and a reason is given and I'm not generally willing to experiment with my time and effort like that.  there are all kinds of things I accept without proving them myself.  I'm not sure why this would be any different.

This.

There are other reasons to do a longer boil, flavor being the chief one.

#65 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

This.

There are other reasons to do a longer boil, flavor being the chief one.

maillard reaction?  what else changes really?

#66 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

maillard reaction?  what else changes really?

Hop schedule with and bittering/flavor. Some beers aren't supposed to have hop flavors in them and you need to boil them for longer times in order to make sure you are getting bittering instead of flavor/aroma additions. A 30 minute boil won't achieve that unless you have hops meant for that sort of thing.

#67 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

Hop schedule with and bittering/flavor. Some beers aren't supposed to have hop flavors in them and you need to boil them for longer times in order to make sure you are getting bittering instead of flavor/aroma additions. A 30 minute boil won't achieve that unless you have hops meant for that sort of thing.

that's a rare goal for me :lol:

#68 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

that's a rare goal for me :lol:

I like german beers. I forget who said it, but Germans like to boil all the hop flavor out of their beer. Might have read that in the Altbier book.

#69 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

You just adjust the hop schedule.  And to be clear, I'm not necessarily advocating for a 30 min. boil.  I'm saying a 90 min. boil is not required when you use pils malt.

#70 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:07 PM

You just adjust the hop schedule.  And to be clear, I'm not necessarily advocating for a 30 min. boil.  I'm saying a 90 min. boil is not required when you use pils malt.

I agree with that sentiment. 

#71 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

is there really any problem with a 30 min boil though?  Obviously the hop aspect would need to be factored in but that isn't really a negative for a lot of beers.

#72 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

is there really any problem with a 30 min boil though?  Obviously the hop aspect would need to be factored in but that isn't really a negative for a lot of beers.

AFAIK, there shouldn't be a problem, although I have no first hand experience.  I think that would be long enough to get protein coagulation, in which case clarity shouldn't be affected.  It's definitely long enough to sanitize the wort.  The one area that might be affected it efficiency.  Because you won't be boiling off as much, you'll need to use lesser water volumes.  That could leave sugars behind and reduce your efficiency.  I'm gonna have to play around with this.

#73 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

is there really any problem with a 30 min boil though? Obviously the hop aspect would need to be factored in but that isn't really a negative for a lot of beers.

Same site does a 30 minute boil experiment.

#74 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

This right here. Over and over again. He has often advocated for 90 min boils on all beers regardless of base malt, as has Tasty McD.

Yep and this too. Like a lot of areas in life I try to rely on those who may have more experience or expertise so I don't have to re-write the textbook myself. Same reason I started coming to this forum actually.

is there really any problem with a 30 min boil though?

Only if you use Amarillo @30.  :lol:

:deadhorse:

#75 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

Only if you use Amarillo @30.  :lol:

:deadhorse:

I must have missed this one (apparently a bunch of times!).

#76 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

I must have missed this one (apparently a bunch of times!).

You and me both...

#77 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

I like german beers. I forget who said it, but Germans like to boil all the hop flavor out of their beer. Might have read that in the Altbier book.

Ever had a fresh Jever?

#78 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:06 PM

DMS removal has more to do with % evaporation than it does time. Homebrewers probably don't need to boil as long as large-scale brewers because of higher evaporation rates. According to Fix, you want to get over 8% evaporation, which probably doesn't take most homebrewers 90 minutes. In the Brulosophy experiment, for example, the 30 minute beer apparently had 9% evaporation. If you are talking about something like Pale Ale Malt, you probably don't even need 8%.

#79 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:14 AM

Ever had a fresh Jever?

Oh I like a nice hoppy lager, don't get me wrong, if that's what you're getting at. Some styles need good isomerization and less hop flavor though.

#80 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:33 AM

I feel like the issue of DMS formation is really poorly understood at the homebrew level.

I'm tempted to make an all pils beer with little to no hopping and using the absolute worst possible practices (Short boil, low heat, cover on, etc.) just to see if I can get noticeable DMS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users