#21 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

How about wheat? Do most people do a 90 min boil for wheat? I don't brew with it much, so just wondering.

#22 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

Last time I had a Bud Light it was pretty cabbagey.

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:29 AM

I've used pils as base for years now. I've gone thru several bags of Rahr, Weyermann, and Best Malz pils. Most boils are 60-75 minutes. 175F whirlpool on most for ~15mins. No DMS present in the finished beer.

I do make sure to keep the lid away from the pot. The condensation dripping back into the beer is bad frikken mojo. A good boil off rate 10%+ (mine's 15%)is probably more important than actual boil time.

Do you keep the lid off when you are whirlpooling too?

How about wheat? Do most people do a 90 min boil for wheat? I don't brew with it much, so just wondering.

No, I do those for 60, but even my American Wheat is only 40% wheat.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:33 AM

I've used pils as base for years now. I've gone thru several bags of Rahr, Weyermann, and Best Malz pils. Most boils are 60-75 minutes. 175F whirlpool on most for ~15mins. No DMS present in the finished beer.

I do make sure to keep the lid away from the pot. The condensation dripping back into the beer is bad frikken mojo. A good boil off rate 10%+ (mine's 15%)is probably more important than actual boil time.

I always put the lid on once I start chilling the beer.  what do you do?

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

I always put the lid on once I start chilling the beer.  what do you do?

what do you do in the whirlpool?  I add the lid back 9 out of 10 times.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:47 AM

what do you do in the whirlpool?  I add the lid back 9 out of 10 times.

once I start chilling the lid is on.  I do take it off just to add the hops in or occasionally stir the wort by moving the chiller around.

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:21 AM

No.  I've never heard that.  Does wheat even contain SMM? 

#28 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

once I start chilling the lid is on. I do take it off just to add the hops in or occasionally stir the wort by moving the chiller around.

exactly what I do.

#29 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

I have done both 90 and 60 minute boil times for beers I use a majority of Pils malt in and to be honest I have not noticed a difference in the final product.  Is there really any benefit to doing a 90 minute boil?  When you add that and a long whrilpool it can make for a long day.

What you have discovered is that many people use old, outdated information to make brewing decisions.  I have found the same thing as you have...that a 90 min, boil for pils malt just isn't necessary with today's malts.

So would a 60 minute boil and a 30 minute whirlpool accomplish the same as a 90 minute boil?

No, I don't think so.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

well I'd like to thank you all for occasionally saving me 30 minutes :)

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

What you have discovered is that many people use old, outdated information to make brewing decisions.  I have found the same thing as you have...that a 90 min, boil for pils malt just isn't necessary with today's malts.

Yeah, this is important. There were dark days of homebrewing where answers may not have been easy to come by so people set up some arbitrary guidelines about what to do and what not to do. We have some very good people here who do some vigorous research that we can all benefit from (Denny, Kai, Marshall at Brulosophy and many others) and then things get clearer. I'm sure that there are many ideas that have been adopted by homebrewers that are either inaccurate, not applied properly, etc. but because of a lack of information, people do what is safe and generally accepted. For instance, I like to spit in my chilled wort, mash for 5 minutes, use 100% roasted barley and boil my yeast! It's all good! Not.

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

Yeah, this is important. There were dark days of homebrewing where answers may not have been easy to come by so people set up some arbitrary guidelines about what to do and what not to do. We have some very good people here who do some vigorous research that we can all benefit from (Denny, Kai, Marshall at Brulosophy and many others) and then things get clearer. I'm sure that there are many ideas that have been adopted by homebrewers that are either inaccurate, not applied properly, etc. but because of a lack of information, people do what is safe and generally accepted. For instance, I like to spit in my chilled wort, mash for 5 minutes, use 100% roasted barley and boil my yeast! It's all good! Not.

In the early days a lot of info came from commercial brewers and as we all know, that's not necessarily applicable to what we do.  If you've ever read Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer" that becomes obvious.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

In the early days a lot of info came from commercial brewers and as we all know, that's not necessarily applicable to what we do.  If you've ever read Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer" that becomes obvious.

A book on my shelf that I still have not read.

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

A book on my shelf that I still have not read.

Wait until you're ready for a nap.  Same with the new "Water" book.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:13 AM

Wait until you're ready for a nap.  Same with the new "Water" book.

Bought that one with hopes to read it and learn.  I did skim it some but have not sat down and read it.  At this point I am not sure I will.

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

Same with the new "Water" book.

It's a good reference book. Not cover to cover, at least for me.

#37 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

No. I've never heard that. Does wheat even contain SMM?

It must be for a different reason. I just remember being told at some point to do a 90 min boil if using a percentage of wheat. But again I don't really brew with wheat so I have never done it.

#38 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:11 PM

Bought that one with hopes to read it and learn.  I did skim it some but have not sat down and read it.  At this point I am not sure I will.

Most of it relates to commercial brewing and has little to do with homebrewing.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

Most of it relates to commercial brewing and has little to do with homebrewing.

I bought yeast and some of it was helpful but a lot of it was like this.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

I bought yeast and some of it was helpful but a lot of it was like this.

Huh .. I use yeast every time I brew :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users