Photo
- - - - -

You will not believe what I'm about to ask...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25635 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

I went to the liqour store tonight ot pick upa sixer of real beer. (Goose Island IPA) Also picked up a 25 oz Bud, just for a $2.40 walk down memory lane.

While it is not a great beer, it is not spit take bad. It was sweeter than I remember. It still had that Bud taste I remember. It was not bad in a lite beer sirt of way.

#42 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54204 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

I went to the liqour store tonight ot pick upa sixer of real beer. (Goose Island IPA) Also picked up a 25 oz Bud, just for a $2.40 walk down memory lane.

While it is not a great beer, it is not spit take bad. It was sweeter than I remember. It still had that Bud taste I remember. It was not bad in a lite beer sirt of way.

Funny you say sweet because I remember that character and I think Bud Light has it too. Might be why I don't like it... I prefer a drier beer. Mission accomplished Zymot!

#43 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

Actually, i just realized i drank a bunch of Bud and BL when i was golfing about a month ago. I can't say taste was really on my mind at the time. Although, i do have one of each leftover in the back of my fridge. They came back home in my golf bag.

Should i do a taste test?

#44 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54204 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

Actually, i just realized i drank a bunch of Bud and BL when i was golfing about a month ago. I can't say taste was really on my mind at the time. Although, i do have one of each leftover in the back of my fridge. They came back home in my golf bag.

Should i do a taste test?

If you dare!   :covreyes:

Edited by Village Taphouse, 06 July 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#45 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

Bud is welcome in my fridge. I'll slam one if they're around. But Light? Not so much. Growing up, my Father had any array of cheap beer like Black Label, Hamms, Piels, Shaffer, Busch, Meister Brau, Gennessee CA etc.... So, I don't mind slugging down any cold beer on a hot lawn cut day and if you ever come over and spy a Natty Ice in my beer fridge, I probably bought it :)

#46 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54204 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:25 AM

Bud is welcome in my fridge. I'll slam one if they're around. But Light? Not so much. Growing up, my Father had any array of cheap beer like Black Label, Hamms, Piels, Shaffer, Busch, Meister Brau, Gennessee CA etc.... So, I don't mind slugging down any cold beer on a hot lawn cut day and if you ever come over and spy a Natty Ice in my beer fridge, I probably bought it :)

My dad was the same way... Stroh's, Hamm's, Blatz, Old Style, Special Export, Drewry's, Goebel, Old Milwaukee, Schlitz.

#47 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

I am so sick of quintuple-IPAs and imperial bullshit that I'd take a bud light over most beers nowadays. Had Modelo Especial in the cooler over the weekend. Wanted Dos Equis, but I don't want to admit that their ad campaign works on me! :blush:

#48 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:45 AM

I am so sick of quintuple-IPAs and imperial bullshit that I'd take a bud light over most beers nowadays. Had Modelo Especial in the cooler over the weekend. Wanted Dos Equis, but I don't want to admit that their ad campaign works on me! :blush:

A favorite on the beach is Corona. There I said it hahahaaa......

#49 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

I'm really enjoying the session IPA craze.  I've been drinking lots of Sam Adam's Rebel Rider.  Only 4.5% ABV!

#50 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54204 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

You guys know that I have never bashed fizzy, gold lagers. I do wonder why you go to the store and 95% of what you see is of the same style but whatever. I make beers that are 5% gold lagers and almost always have one ready. I do find Corona tasteless and the clear bottle makes me wince. I once saw a hot chick selling Corona on the beach in Mexico... the bottles were laying on ice in a big metal tub the size of a bathtub. But those clear bottles laying directly in the sun!?!?! I like Pacifico if the mood is right and Modelo Especial is fine too.

#51 codemonkey

codemonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

I'm really enjoying the session IPA craze.  I've been drinking lots of Sam Adam's Rebel Rider.  Only 4.5% ABV!

That's what my climbing buddy's been digging lately. I'm over hops. 

#52 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

I'm really enjoying the session  craze.

ftfm

I like that I can now find a lot of different style options all under 5%, this helps with the little kids factor

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

ftfm

I like that I can now find a lot of different style options all under 5%, this helps with the little kids factor

I agree, seems most of what I brew now is 4-5.5%. 

#54 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

I'm trying to bring down the abv content as well, but I do like to keep one keg (out of my 3) with something a little heavier. A little sipper in the evenings with the missus.

#55 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:49 AM

I'm bucking the trend.  thinking back to recent brews:

6.7% (pale ale)

7.7% (strong ale)

9.4% (saison)

8.1% (DIPA)

the two before that were more "normal".  5.5-6% I think.  for me there is a sweet spot - probably in the upper 6% region.  low ABV beers are nice in some ways but often lack the body and depth I'm looking for.  too high an ABV often becomes too sweet and heavy for me to really enjoy it often.  it's not about getting drunk for me - it's about producing something that I like the taste of.  it just so happens that's typically not a session beer for me.

#56 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

I typically clock in around a 4.5% to 5%.  

I suppose I should actually take readings.  

I've got a buddy whose motto is "Go Big or Go Home".  I think his weakest beer will clock in around 6.5%.  Most of his are 7.5% to 8%.

#57 codemonkey

codemonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

All of my beers are in the 8-10% range, then they go to 40% then to 82% then back down to 65% :)

#58 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

All of my beers are in the 8-10% range, then they go to 40% then to 82% then back down to 65% :)

Weird how that works out ... :D

#59 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

That's what my climbing buddy's been digging lately. I'm over hops. 

I really like it for summer beers.  The bitterness makes it crisp and refreshing while still being able to carry some malt backbone.

#60 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

Back on Bud. When I bartended way back when.... we did not carry Bud. It was a thing between the distributor and restaurant owner. Often when someone would ask for a Bud and I'd say we don't have it, they would switch up entirely and order a drink instead. Talk about prima-donnas hahahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users