Photo
- - - - -

You will not believe what I'm about to ask...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

so they are literally lying in the advertising?

I've used a couple of North American Pils malts that were indistinguishable to my palette from Weyerman

Obviously there's going to be differences in malts depending on where it's grown and the breeding of the barley over the years. I don't know who supplies coppertail, but they get it by the truckload and it's shot into their silos. 

Miller lite actually has quite a bit of pils malt character to it and I'm sure they use their own farms and use american pils malt.

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

Obviously there's going to be differences in malts depending on where it's grown and the breeding of the barley over the years. I don't know who supplies coppertail, but they get it by the truckload and it's shot into their silos. 

Miller lite actually has quite a bit of pils malt character to it and I'm sure they use their own farms and use american pils malt.

cool, all I was saying was that I don't detect any pils character at all in Budweiser, thought they used 6-row

#23 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:41 AM

cool, all I was saying was that I don't detect any pils character at all in Budweiser, thought they used 6-row

I have no idea. I don't get continental pils malt character from Bud either.

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:49 AM

I have no idea. I don't get continental pils malt character from Bud either.

I think we are talking past each other here :D

funny thing, whatever character makes Bud unique, it was in the American Ale they made too, I gave one to a friend blind,  and he said, this tastes like Budweiser :D

#25 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

Pils malt can be made from 6 row.  Although AFAIK, they are using little to no 6 row any longer.  It's pretty much disappearing becasue of the high diastatic power of modern 2 row.  For instance, I don't think Briess is carrying 6 row any longer.

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

Pils malt can be made from 6 row.  Although AFAIK, they are using little to no 6 row any longer.  It's pretty much disappearing becasue of the high diastatic power of modern 2 row.  For instance, I don't think Briess is carrying 6 row any longer.

'knowledge base updated

#27 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:43 AM

Bud was my Go To beer in HS. The last time i had one was a few months ago, it's better than Natty Ice or some other unmentionables..but they all help me remember why i homebrew..

#28 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:21 AM

There is no beechwood there.  They used to put strips of beechwood in the tanks to keep the yeast from floccing out and leaving the beer underattenuated.  AFAIK, these days they use strips of AL to do the same thing.

Back in '98 I took a tour there, and at that time they were still putting in planks of beechwood.  But maybe that has changed in the last 15 years?

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:28 AM

Back in '98 I took a tour there, and at that time they were still putting in planks of beechwood.  But maybe that has changed in the last 15 years?

I'd be surprised that they'd be allowed to claim the beer is beech wood aged (as recently as the super bowl) when it's not.

#30 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25637 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:35 AM

I was under the impression the beachwood was shavings that increased the surface area of the bottom of the tank.

Do not know where I got that.

I'd be surprised that they'd be allowed to claim the beer is beech wood aged (as recently as the super bowl) when it's not.

It is aged and there is beachwood in the tank while it is aging. I do not see where it is false advertising. I assume the beachwood makes a difference, or AB would not go to the expense of using it.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

It is aged and there is beachwood in the tank while it is aging. I do not see where it is false advertising. I assume the beachwood makes a difference, or AB would not go to the expense of using it.

I was referring to Denny saying it was not.  I have no idea one way or another.

#32 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

I was under the impression the beachwood was shavings that increased the surface area of the bottom of the tank.

Do not know where I got that.

It's been so long since I took that tour that I have no recollection as to why they used it.  I didn't brew back then and the details weren't important... just get me to the tasting room for all teh samples!  Don't get me wrong, it was actually a cool tour, but I just don't remember much of the details.

#33 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25637 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:20 AM

It's been so long since I took that tour that I have no recollection as to why they used it.  I didn't brew back then and the details weren't important... just get me to the tasting room for all teh samples!  Don't get me wrong, it was actually a cool tour, but I just don't remember much of the details.

Not trying to get into a pissing match. It is not important how a medicore beer is brewed.

But I had to look it up, just for my sanity.

6. Beechwood Aging: During lagering, the beer is krausened, naturally carbonated and aged on beechwood chips for 21 days to mature the flavor of the beer. Anheuser-Busch is the only major brewer in the world using beechwood aging.

https://anheuser-bus...rewing-process/

They claim they currently use beachwood. As I understand it, it is not wood aging like wines and bourbons are aged in wood. In fact beachwood is selected for it's property of not adding wood flavor. It increases the surface area so when the yeast floculates, there are more cells exposed to the beer.

Edited by zymot, 06 July 2015 - 07:22 AM.

#34 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:50 AM

Not trying to get into a pissing match. It is not important how a medicore beer is brewed.

But I had to look it up, just for my sanity.

https://anheuser-bus...rewing-process/

They claim they currently use beachwood. As I understand it, it is not wood aging like wines and bourbons are aged in wood. In fact beachwood is selected for it's property of not adding wood flavor. It increases the surface area so when the yeast floculates, there are more cells exposed to the beer.

Oh, I know you weren't trying to get into a pissing match.  Neither was I.  Denny had posted that they don't.  I was only pointing out that about 15 years ago they still were, but I was not "into it" enough to really care or pay attention.  I'm sure they mentioned the explanation you found on the tour.  But it made no sense to me then because I wasn't brewing.  

I do agree that we are talking about the brewing process for a mediocre beer.  At this point, it is a marketing gimmick.  Otherwise, why wouldn't all the other breweries do it???

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

In the one commercial where they're making fun of craft beers (Let them sip their pumpkin-peach ale..., they show a hand reaching into a container of wood planks that looked to be the size of shims. I assumed it was supposed to mimic the beer having been stored and served in wooden barrels long ago but apparently not.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 06 July 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#36 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

I was referring to Denny saying it was not.  I have no idea one way or another.

And I might be misremembering.

#37 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

I don't mind Bud, though I very rarely drink it and would never buy it.  I probably have some nostalgia effect from working at the AB brewery when i was in college.  FYI, they were using real beechwood strips at that time.  And, at this point, I'm guessing they keep doing it for the marketing aspect.  It's a PITA.  They actually have to send someone into the tank to recover the strips, then they rinse them and put them in a big steam oven to sanitize them between batches.  One of the projects i worked on when I was there was to improve the removal of CO2 from the aging tanks so the workers could get in there more quickly to empty out the chips.  And, yes, I've actually gone in the tanks to push out the chips.  :D

#38 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

I don't mind Bud, though I very rarely drink it and would never buy it.  I probably have some nostalgia effect from working at the AB brewery when i was in college.  FYI, they were using real beechwood strips at that time.  And, at this point, I'm guessing they keep doing it for the marketing aspect.  It's a PITA.  They actually have to send someone into the tank to recover the strips, then they rinse them and put them in a big steam oven to sanitize them between batches.  One of the projects i worked on when I was there was to improve the removal of CO2 from the aging tanks so the workers could get in there more quickly to empty out the chips.  And, yes, I've actually gone in the tanks to push out the chips.  :D

I remember them talking about going in to remove the planks.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

give the guy an O2 mask?

#40 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

give the guy an O2 mask?

They blow out the tanks with a big ass blower for a while and they keep testing the exit air until the CO2 content is below a certain threshold.  Two guys go in with O2 monitors to push out the chips.  A third guy is outside the tank as a spotter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users