positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

What's the purpose of the wheat malt?

got lost in the chaff ;)  (just kidding guys I don't care about the derailment)

head retention mostly.  but also b/c I have some that I hardly use so I figured I should use some up.

#42 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

One reason I have used wheat is just to reduce character from the base malt. For instance say you want a 1.056 beer and you want to use GP as your base malt but you don't want 1.056 worth of GP character to come through. Just replace x-amount of GP with wheat to get it where you like. Sure wheat has a flavor of it's own but to me it's pretty subtle and completely lost in a hoppy APA/IPA.  

#43 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

got lost in the chaff ;)  (just kidding guys I don't care about the derailment)

Use it for the second reason, not the first.  A properly brewed beer won't benefit from wheat for head retention.

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

Use it for the second reason, not the first.  A properly brewed beer won't benefit from wheat for head retention.

how about I ask you, why do you include it in the famous denny conn RIPA?

#45 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

how about I ask you, why do you include it in the famous denny conn RIPA?

Because I didn't know better back than and fell for the old adage that adding wheat and carapils would increase the foam stand.  If I was to write that recipe these days, I wouldn't include them.  But I love that beer and don't want to mess with success.  Look at Duvel...nothing but pils malt and sugar and better foam than most of us will ever get.  Take a look at this....https://byo.com/stor...foam-techniques

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

Because I didn't know better back than and fell for the old adage that adding wheat and carapils would increase the foam stand.  If I was to write that recipe these days, I wouldn't include them.  But I love that beer and don't want to mess with success.  Look at Duvel...nothing but pils malt and sugar and better foam than most of us will ever get.  Take a look at this....https://byo.com/stor...foam-techniques

foiled!  :lol:

but there is this:  

My experience has been that, if you are having problems with forming a head, adding wheat malt doesn’t help. (On the other hand, if you are already getting decent foam, adding wheat can increase the amount and longevity of foam.) I’ve also noticed that many “low protein” beers form perfectly nice heads, counter to the idea that you need a lot of protein in your grain bill to form good beer foam.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 09 March 2015 - 02:37 PM.

#47 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:15 AM

updates, so I decided I wanted a touch of C120 in here so I did that.  I realized I didn't have C80 but I do have C75 (close enough).  It turns out I didn't need any midnight wheat for color.  I was already where I wanted to be.  I added some gypsum and calcium chloride to get my calcium just above 50.  the sulfate and chloride were both around 70-80 ppm I think but I don't have the spreadsheet in front of me.  after this I still needed pH adjustment so I replaced some of the 2-row with acidulated malt.  the predicted mash pH is 5.3 and I'm mashing thin (2.13 qt/lb).  typically bru'n water has been overestimating the effect of my acid malt so I expect to land closer to 5.4 which I think is fine for a non-hoppy beer like this.

10 Gallon Batch

17.75 lbs 2-row Pale

0.75   lbs Crystal 75

0.25   lbs Crystal 120

3.00  lbs White Wheat Malt

0.50  lbs Pale Chocolate

0.25   lbs Chocolate Malt

1.25 lbs table sugar

0.75 lbs acid malt

mash at 151F

1.75 oz of nugget @ 60 mins

1.00 oz of nugget @ 5 mins

1.00 oz of mt. hood @ 1 mins

2.00 oz of palisade @ 0 mins

ferment on 2 packets of US-05

OG: 1.068

SRM: 17ish

IBU: 48

Edited by Evil_Morty, 25 March 2015 - 05:16 AM.

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:12 AM

I knocked the gravity down just slightly to 1.065.  Just thinking I want to make sure this is more readily drinkable (ie:  so I'm not drunk off my ass!).

I'm hoping to bottle up some beer from my kegs this week which should open up some keg space.  I should be able to get to this in a couple of weeks.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:50 AM

okay - finally getting closer to this.  planned brew day is the 12th.  with all of this sulfate/chloride talk lately I'm wondering if I should adjust anything :P

#50 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

updates, so I decided I wanted a touch of C120 in here so I did that.  I realized I didn't have C80 but I do have C75 (close enough).  It turns out I didn't need any midnight wheat for color.  I was already where I wanted to be.  I added some gypsum and calcium chloride to get my calcium just above 50.  the sulfate and chloride were both around 70-80 ppm I think but I don't have the spreadsheet in front of me.  after this I still needed pH adjustment so I replaced some of the 2-row with acidulated malt.  the predicted mash pH is 5.3 and I'm mashing thin (2.13 qt/lb).  typically bru'n water has been overestimating the effect of my acid malt so I expect to land closer to 5.4 which I think is fine for a non-hoppy beer like this.

10 Gallon Batch

17.75 lbs 2-row Pale

0.75   lbs Crystal 75

0.25   lbs Crystal 120

3.00  lbs White Wheat Malt

0.50  lbs Pale Chocolate

0.25   lbs Chocolate Malt

1.25 lbs table sugar

0.75 lbs acid malt

mash at 151F

1.75 oz of nugget @ 60 mins

1.00 oz of nugget @ 5 mins

1.00 oz of mt. hood @ 1 mins

2.00 oz of palisade @ 0 mins

ferment on 2 packets of US-05

OG: 1.068

SRM: 17ish

IBU: 48

I think I might do 2 oz of mt. hood b/c that's how I feel now.  feelings!

#51 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

upped acid malt to 1 lb to make sure I hit the right pH.  once this acid malt is gone I think I may switch to lactic acid.

#52 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

upped acid malt to 1 lb to make sure I hit the right pH.  once this acid malt is gone I think I may switch to lactic acid.

That is where I am at.  I have noticed some inconsistencies and I may just use the acid malt up in a sour beer and just use lactic from here on out.

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

That is where I am at.  I have noticed some inconsistencies and I may just use the acid malt up in a sour beer and just use lactic from here on out.

one thing I noticed on my last batch where I had to add in some acid malt after I started the mash was that the milled acid malt even smells kind of tangy/sour.  does adding lactic acid provide this same flavor?  I kind of like it for things like saison.

#54 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

one thing I noticed on my last batch where I had to add in some acid malt after I started the mash was that the milled acid malt even smells kind of tangy/sour.  does adding lactic acid provide this same flavor?  I kind of like it for things like saison.

I would assume so seeing I thought acid malt was just 2-row that had lactic sprayed on it.

#55 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:06 PM

I would assume so seeing I thought acid malt was just 2-row that had lactic sprayed on it.

oh - I thought they let it sour on it's own to conform to the rhinostegosaurusbot.

#56 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

oh - I thought they let it sour on it's own to conform to the rhinostegosaurusbot.

That is what I get for going with what the LHBS owner told me.  I may be wrong on this one .. once again.

#57 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

That is what I get for going with what the LHBS owner told me.  I may be wrong on this one .. once again.

Seems like I read that they produce it on malt and then separate it somehow (rinsing?) and then they concentrate and spray it on the 2-row. Could be wrong. Guess we don't really know for sure but I'd lay a benji down that Brauer knows.

#58 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

they don't exactly spell it out but this is what wyermann says:

Weyermann Acidulated Malt is produced by using lactic acid, which is generated by on grain natural occurring lactic bacteria.

#59 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

I am wrong again!

From the Weyerman page:

"Weyermann Acidulated Malt is produced by using lactic acid, which is generated by on grain natural occurring lactic bacteria. Therefore Acidulated Malt is also a wonderful possibility to produce beer styles with a typical “sourish” character like “Berliner Weisse”."

ETA: JINX!

Edited by drez77, 08 June 2015 - 12:30 PM.

#60 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:32 PM

I am wrong again!

From the Weyerman page:

"Weyermann Acidulated Malt is produced by using lactic acid, which is generated by on grain natural occurring lactic bacteria. Therefore Acidulated Malt is also a wonderful possibility to produce beer styles with a typical “sourish” character like “Berliner Weisse”."

ETA: JINX!

it could still be separated as nettles said and then added back in.  I think that would conform to the rhinoplastysauropodbot.  I have no solid sources on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users