#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

With the season changing I expect to get plenty of days of 70+ degree weather, maybe even 80s, but the nights are dipping in the 50s, but soon to be 30s-40s. So my ferment chamber is a fridge in the garage currently held by a johnson analog, but I figure I will now need to have a heating component along with the cooling for unpredictable weather changes. Last year I just started bringing my fermenters in, but now want to avoid that. So I am able to set this Ranco for the 2 stages, but I do not want them to be in a constant battle, so I am wondering what a good differential would be. I am assuming if I make the differential too large, the patterns will criss cross, and I would have to really space out the set temps for each device, and if I set them too small, they will constantly be clicking on. So if I set the cooling at 63, with a 2 deg diff, then it will kick on at 65, then I would need to set my heat for 68, so with a 2 degree diff will kick on at 66. If I am figuring this right that should hold me between 65-66 degrees constantly. Should I space them out more? Does anyone have one of these and experience with it? Am I way off? Should I go have another beer?

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:31 PM

With the season changing I expect to get plenty of days of 70+ degree weather, maybe even 80s, but the nights are dipping in the 50s, but soon to be 30s-40s. So my ferment chamber is a fridge in the garage currently held by a johnson analog, but I figure I will now need to have a heating component along with the cooling for unpredictable weather changes. Last year I just started bringing my fermenters in, but now want to avoid that. So I am able to set this Ranco for the 2 stages, but I do not want them to be in a constant battle, so I am wondering what a good differential would be. I am assuming if I make the differential too large, the patterns will criss cross, and I would have to really space out the set temps for each device, and if I set them too small, they will constantly be clicking on. So if I set the cooling at 63, with a 2 deg diff, then it will kick on at 65, then I would need to set my heat for 68, so with a 2 degree diff will kick on at 66. If I am figuring this right that should hold me between 65-66 degrees constantly. Should I space them out more? Does anyone have one of these and experience with it? Am I way off? Should I go have another beer?

Just guessing but 3df might be a good setting. Seems to work well with my analog cooling only Johnsons. And yes.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

Not familiar with that particular controller, but if it does what I think it does, they shouldn't overlap. I'm assuming you just have one set point and there is a cooling relay and heating relay, correct?

#4 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

No there is an actual setpoint for each stage, I could set one to heat at 60 and another to heat at 70, or both to cool, or in my case, one to cool, and one to heat. That is why I am trying to match the 2 setpoints so the differential dosnt overlap. And I did a few times.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

Can you set the deadband/hysteresis?

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

If you just want to give me the part number, I can look at the manual and give you a recommendation.

#7 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

Great timely question.....I have been planning for one of these with an upright freezer myself. Does this link help at all?https://www.rancoetc.com/manuals/ranco_etc_2stage.pdf?osCsid=511bd5bf631d568d4d9266583ba83f9d

#8 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

This is what I got https://www.rancoetc...ller-p-110.html I kind of wish I checked their website before ordering, it is $10 cheaper here than B3! Oh well, I had to order a heat wrap anyhow, and with the free supersaver it probably was cheaper regardless. So it shows all the capabilities, but dosnt recommend a setting for a temp hold application.

#9 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

OK, found an example on their website, it looks like I did have it backwards. The cooling setpoint needs to be higher than the heating to achieve a deadband. So if I set the cooling setpoint at 66, and a 2 deg diff, it will click on at 68 and cool to 66, then stop. If I set the heating setpoint at 65 with a 2 deg diff, it will only turn on the heat when the temp falls to 63, then heat till it reaches 65 and shutoff. So my deadband would be 65-66. That is what I am going to go with for now, and monitor the sensor

#10 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

OK, found an example on their website, it looks like I did have it backwards. The cooling setpoint needs to be higher than the heating to achieve a deadband. So if I set the cooling setpoint at 66, and a 2 deg diff, it will click on at 68 and cool to 66, then stop. If I set the heating setpoint at 65 with a 2 deg diff, it will only turn on the heat when the temp falls to 63, then heat till it reaches 65 and shutoff. So my deadband would be 65-66. That is what I am going to go with for now, and monitor the sensor

That's the way I understood it as well.....mine is on order.....please let us know how this works for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users