Photo
- - - - -

Recipe opinions ( I have alot of spare time on my hands while at work)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

Orange Sunset

4.00 lbs. Canadian 2-row
3.75 lbs. Canadian Wheat Malt
1 lbs. Corn Flaked

.5 oz. First Gold (Whole, 7.50 %AA) boiled 60 min
1 oz. First Gold (Whole, 7.50 %AA) boiled 1 min

2 ounces Sweet orange peel
.75 ounces Corriander

Yeast : US-05

Was wondering if the US-05 would let the orange citrus overtones to shine through ?

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

I think your recipe looks fine and good. To answer your question yes US-05 will let the orange shine through. US-05 is very clean yeast. I have used it often this year to let the ingredients be the lead in several beers. Enjoy, I wish I had your kinda time at work. Good Luck!!Mike

#3 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

US-05 will work, although 1056 is cleaner.I would personally ditch the corn and the late hop addition, and just go 50/50 wheat and 2-row. The coriander addition sounds a little high, but it depends on how fresh your spice is.As for the sweet orange peel, I would recommend zesting some fresh oranges and using that. The sweet orange peel you buy in homebrew shops is kinda old and doesn't give you that fresh burst of citrus you get with fresh oranges.

#4 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

zest from how many oranges ?also any suggestions to give an over the top Orange appeal :)

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54151 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

I agree that you can make the grain bill simpler (base malt + wheat is good) and lose the late hop addition. You may have to bump the earlier addition, but anytime you add fruit, spice, flavorings, etc., it's best not to hop too late because the hop flavor and aroma will fight with the flavor you want to come out. Finding the right amount of orange to add may be tricky, but you can always add zest at flameout and then taste the beer after primary. If it needs more, zest more and add that zest to a small amount of vodka (to sanitize) or just make a zest-tea and then add that to the secondary and rack the beer on top. Don't overdo the earlier addition of orange because it's easier to add than take away. Sounds nice... sort of like Sunset Wheat from Leinie's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users